Software "fix" for GPS issue coming soon (Per Samsung)

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
"An update to improve the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance is now available. Captivate customers will receive a notification on their device that an update is available and will simply need to download the file to update their phone. The updates will be pushed to devices over the next few weeks."

Product :Total:phones & Fax Machines:US Mobile Phones:AT&T 24-02-2011

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To JH7 Through Kies Mini?

Keeping my fingers crossed!

MrLee

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That's rather interesting.

Before Froyo, my GPS would take about 40s - 60s to lock and does the job fine after locking..occasional lost of signal.

Now with Froyo (since yesterday), my GPS takes 5s - 10s to lock, and seems to be locking on to signal stronger than before.

I took the same route to work everyday, which is all backroads. It's the route I tested the 2 scenarios above.

Though I did re-run Samsung's GPS restore app right after I got Froyo, and it locked on almost immediately (I was outdoors) during the GPS restore...thingy.

jimmyb3rd

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
gps much better since froyo. could never get lock while traveling in car prior to yesterday's update. now i stayed locked and can get my speed via gps.

jb

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
^^^True just a two weeks ago my Cappy wouldn't hold a lock while navigating, BUT!!! now that 2.2 has been installed it locks and holds locks...so far..tried last night and tonight with no hiccups. We'll see how long this last..fingers crossed..

mssheddy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine is much much better since upgrading to 2.2. Actually doesn't put me 4 or 5 blocks from my house, work place, etc, anytime I test it. Much improved.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Important Information! A version of Froyo is now available for the SGH-i897 (Captivate). Please visit SAMSUNG's Digital World for more information. The KB1 version supersedes the JH7 software and is no longer available for download through Kies Mini.

I think the reason you are seeing the "
Product :Total:phones & Fax Machines:US Mobile Phones:AT&T 24-02-2011" is b/c they updated the page to add that info that KB1 is out so this page should be ignored.

coldguy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
GPS Test app

I also noticed a faster lock since updating to 2.2.0 yesterday, and ven got a lock inside my house, which I never got before. When I noticed that I had a good lock inside, I started the GPS Test from chartcross to see what kind of lock and accuracy I was getting. Very surprising!

On 2.1, I could have like 8 sats in view at strength 35-40 and no lock. I couldn't lock at all without at least 8 sats with very high signal strength.

On 2.2, I was getting a lock with 6 in view and 4 in use. INSIDE! And some of the sats in use only had 30-35 signal. Something has been changed.

fastoy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
"An update to improve the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance is now available. Captivate customers will receive a notification on their device that an update is available and will simply need to download the file to update their phone. The updates will be pushed to devices over the next few weeks."

Product :Total:phones & Fax Machines:US Mobile Phones:AT&T 24-02-2011

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To JH7 Through Kies Mini?

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I think that this page is the notice for last year's OTA update. The update date reflects the recently added notice:
Important Information! A version of Froyo is now available for the SGH-i897 (Captivate). Please visit SAMSUNG's Digital World for more information. The KB1 version supersedes the JH7 software and is no longer available for download through Kies Mini.​
I don't think that means there's a newer "fix" coming for the Captivate's GPS.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I take back what I said up top. I was coming from MD to DE and the GPS was asking me to turn and there wasn't a street or corner to turn on. Then the directional arrow would show on the side of the road asking me to turn onto the highway I was already on... Yeah I'm done with Sammy phones. Atleast give us 2.2.1 for B/T voice dialing...I'm done...

epek.ware

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
After struggling with GPS issues on my Galaxy S for WAY too long, I spent a lot of time investigating the issues and have just released an app on the market (called "GPS Doctor") that should fix most of the problems. The technical details on how it works are available in the app's description if anyone interested.

To get faster fixes, run the "Quick Fix" option right before going into Google Maps (or whatever apps you're using).

It's been working really well for me on my personal phone, but I know it's probably not perfect...if anyone ends up trying it out, please provide feedback! I'll be hanging around this thread for a while.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
After struggling with GPS issues on my Galaxy S for WAY too long, I spent a lot of time investigating the issues and have just released an app on the market (called "GPS Doctor") that should fix most of the problems. The technical details on how it works are available in the app's description if anyone interested.

To get faster fixes, run the "Quick Fix" option right before going into Google Maps (or whatever apps you're using).

It's been working really well for me on my personal phone, but I know it's probably not perfect...if anyone ends up trying it out, please provide feedback! I'll be hanging around this thread for a while.

No trial? I'm a bit hesitant to spend $3 for something I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks.

epek.ware

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
No trial? I'm a bit hesitant to spend $3 for something I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks.

Generally demos or trials have a subset of the full functionality which is unlocked by purchasing the full app, but since GPS Doctor really only does one thing it was kind of hard to figure out how to work one in. I wasn't too sure what a fair price would be, but I spent a LOT of time researching GPS and coding it so I'd like to at least get a little bit of return on it :)

I've tested it on 3 Galaxy S models and it's helped performance on all 3, so I am pretty confident it'll work on your too...if for some reason it doesn't, the Market gives you a 15 minute window after purchasing the app to get a refund...that should be enough time to run a few tests and decide if you like it.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Generally demos or trials have a subset of the full functionality which is unlocked by purchasing the full app, but since GPS Doctor really only does one thing it was kind of hard to figure out how to work one in. I wasn't too sure what a fair price would be, but I spent a LOT of time researching GPS and coding it so I'd like to at least get a little bit of return on it :)

I've tested it on 3 Galaxy S models and it's helped performance on all 3, so I am pretty confident it'll work on your too...if for some reason it doesn't, the Market gives you a 15 minute window after purchasing the app to get a refund...that should be enough time to run a few tests and decide if you like it.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63