Software Status Modified?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had this Verizon V20 since brand new and never tried to root it nor do anything weird like trying to mod the camera or whatever.

It is WIFI only now because VZW shut off the sim when I switched to my Note 9. At home on wifi it is still a useful digital device for checking weather or social media etc.

Today I hit the software update button for laughs and actually got an update. Security update VS99520d which is the most recent update VZW sent out in October apparently.

After installing it uneventful and getting a successful update message I checked "about phone" to see the Android version and noticed it now says Software Status Modified.

I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it found nothing.

Has this happened to others?

Is my phone too dangerous to use on wifi now?

Could this have happened because I updated without an active sim?

I just clicked the check for updates button. I didn't flash the update or anything techie.

Help from a knowledgeable user would be greatly appreciated.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It happens sometimes on Samsung phones after a update, restart the phone and check again should go away
I cleared the cache then restarted a couple of times. No dice. It's still there.

Could updating without a sim do it? I was surprised the update worked actually but it went through uneventful.

It does say on the VZW update not to do any update unless you have a vzw signal and wifi. I don't see what the VZW sig has to do with it but I'm grasping at straws.

The phone still works fine and shows the successful update in updates.

Do you think it is still safe to use?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I cleared the cache then restarted a couple of times. No dice. It's still there.

Could updating without a sim do it? I was surprised the update worked actually but it went through uneventful.

It does say on the VZW update not to do any update unless you have a vzw signal and wifi. I don't see what the VZW sig has to do with it but I'm grasping at straws.

The phone still works fine and shows the successful update in updates.

Do you think it is still safe to use?
If its still there then wait until the next update, but don't worry over this .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If its still there then wait until the next update, but don't worry over this .
I doubt there will be any more updates for the old V20 in fact I thought it was no longer being supported. Never even got Android 9.

Boy did you nail it when you said don't worry over this. I've been worried about it all day!

The V20 in many ways has always been my favorite phone but now I'm afraid of using it. I did read this happened to some G4 users for no reason and one other V20 user but most people would never even check in About Phone.

I guess if Google Play Store scan finds nothing and Malwarebytes finds nothing it is OK.

I have a fried whose brother's phone was somehow cloned by someone in South America and it caused him all sorts of problems and I am a person who worries a lot.

The funny thing is last night was the first time I even turned on the V20 in months and I forgot how cool it was. The battery in it was shot (swollen) so I replaced it. It's not an official battery but I've never heard of a battery causing a software status modified caused by a bad battery.

Thanks for checking in! You've always been very helpful.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I doubt there will be any more updates for the old V20 in fact I thought it was no longer being supported. Never even got Android 9.

Boy did you nail it when you said don't worry over this. I've been worried about it all day!

The V20 in many ways has always been my favorite phone but now I'm afraid of using it. I did read this happened to some G4 users for no reason and one other V20 user but most people would never even check in About Phone.

I guess if Google Play Store scan finds nothing and Malwarebytes finds nothing it is OK.

I have a fried whose brother's phone was somehow cloned by someone in South America and it caused him all sorts of problems and I am a person who worries a lot.

The funny thing is last night was the first time I even turned on the V20 in months and I forgot how cool it was. The battery in it was shot (swollen) so I replaced it. It's not an official battery but I've never heard of a battery causing a software status modified caused by a bad battery.

Thanks for checking in! You've always been very helpful.
I use to see that sometimes flashing the firmwares through odin , which were official Samsung firmwares , but yeah don't worry about .
This phone have the easy access replacement battery or take phone apart?
Thank you for kind words:)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The V20 was one of the last phones with a replaceable battery. Just push a button on the side and the phone pops open and you put in a new battery. I used to always carry a spare in my pocket. I always got a kick out of the looks I got from iPhone users when I could so easily open the phone, slide in the new battery and put the back back on the phone. Takes about 10 seconds.

The replacement batteries don't support NFC so I don't know if that could affect the software?

I bought the V20 when I had to turn in my Note 7. That was the Note that had the self igniting battery trick.

To my eyes the LCD actually looks sharper than the LED.

I know I've never done anything risky on the V20 and for all I know that status modified may have been there for years. I don't know why I even noticed it today.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The V20 was one of the last phones with a replaceable battery. Just push a button on the side and the phone pops open and you put in a new battery. I used to always carry a spare in my pocket. I always got a kick out of the looks I got from iPhone users when I could so easily open the phone, slide in the new battery and put the back back on the phone. Takes about 10 seconds.

The replacement batteries don't support NFC so I don't know if that could affect the software?

I bought the V20 when I had to turn in my Note 7. That was the Note that had the self igniting battery trick.

To my eyes the LCD actually looks sharper than the LED.

I know I've never done anything risky on the V20 and for all I know that status modified may have been there for years. I don't know why I even noticed it today.
I always liked replaceable batteries, LG and iPhone made good lcd display phones . Maybe in future we see these come back again

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
9/27/18 is the latest software update, for AT&T. I press the update button and got nothing but I'm up to date. This is for the LG v20. I use my phone for audio books. I also have an LG v40199145.jpg

RTGent

Nov 8, 2017
Visit site
9/27/18 is the latest software update, for AT&T. I press the update button and got nothing but I'm up to date. This is for the LG v20. I use my phone for audio books. I also have an LG v40View attachment 332141
I still use a Lumia 950 daily, on T-Mobile, but use my LG V20 for personal and subscription music, and Audible playback. The Hi-Fi Quad DAC is the reason I got and keep this, though the replaceable battery that I'm used to (used to never worrying about battery life) was an important second. Mine is a T-Mobile version, though it has never had a SIM card installed, except for testing when I first got the device. My update screen also shows "...up to date", with a current last-check. My Software Info screen reads almost identically to yours: mine shows a November 1, 2018 security patch date, and the last several digits on the baseband version differing thus: ...374.3.xxx (vs ...374.2.XXX... on yours). T-M versus ATT probably explains this minor difference. Go LG V series.