software uprade not coming till may

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Im with you man... I love my button-less pure ics device.. I really like pure android because this is the first time it isnt ugly and comes with some of the features I been wating for.. Sliding away notifications etc. I dont like blur and like u said the screen is terrible on there.. Why do you have to mark your file?? Is it because the amount of exchanges?

Sort of. Essentially, they don't allow exchanges of top tier devices. I called on Friday to see what my options were, and after they talked to a supervisor, I was able to get the MAXX (if I want it). Essentially, it came down to

(1) How long I've had Verizon (7 years at this point)
(2) My exchanges (technically 3 I guess)
(3) How many lines have been added after my line (4)
(4) My family's average bill
(5) Me being nice and explaining that the CLN process is flawed and I just want to make sure I don't lose my $300 investment.

They initially offered just a RAZR, but really, I'd rather my Incredible at that point. In no way is that worth even close to the $300 I paid for the Nexus. The MAXX approximates it, and does what it needs to do very well (but with the skewed stats b/c the screen is garbage and powering a garbage screen is easier than powering 720p HD), but after seeing one, playing with one, etc., Blur is a clear downgrade and IMO the design is just not for me.

So essentially, unless the Nexus catches fire and refuses to connect to any network, I'll stick through it. B/c worts and all, when you combine everything, the Nexus is just a better device.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
He made a bunch of claims on the time-frame of the release, that he could get 6 hours battery life downloading and watching 4 GB of video, that Verizon had the phone and was sitting on it at a time we now know they absolutely did not have it, and took a sabbatical from Twitter in the face of people trying to get him to confirm his claim that the phone was not delayed due to a functionality issue...

This is my last post on the subject, but like the release, I am only trying to illustrate that there are no accurate sources of info on this OTA and people should forget it and relax for a potentially long haul. I'm not sayting people with serious issues should be satisfied, but they should not base their decisions on the possibility of an OTA just around the corner. I put the chance of an update this week the same as I put the chance of the update not happening for 6 months. 50/50

This I do agree on.. You never freaking know with Verizon... Phones release was a mess. There was a leak for a update months ago and still nothing.. Truthfully I wouldnt even speculate that we will receive Jelly bean or whatever the heck comes up next in a timely fashion because we have CDMA devices.. We just kinda have to see.. They should be working hard to get this squared away as you said but im not going to even going to expect it kinda sucks because it has some serious issues but ehhh just gotta be patient. I know they mush be hearing alot of complaints because the store reps always tell me the update is coming soon (rolls eyes) even when im just going in to pick up a battery.. lol

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This I do agree on.. You never freaking know with Verizon... Phones release was a mess. There was a leak for a update months ago and still nothing.. Truthfully I wouldnt even speculate that we will receive Jelly bean or whatever the heck comes up next in a timely fashion because we have CDMA devices.. We just kinda have to see.. They should be working hard to get this squared away as you said but im not going to even going to expect it..

As much as I like Verizon, I can't help but wonder how screwed over we due to CDMA.

And not going to lie, if I had ATT I would have done the crazy route and saved a paycheck and bought an HTC One X. That thing is so nasty.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Sort of. Essentially, they don't allow exchanges of top tier devices. I called on Friday to see what my options were, and after they talked to a supervisor, I was able to get the MAXX (if I want it). Essentially, it came down to

(1) How long I've had Verizon (7 years at this point)
(2) My exchanges (technically 3 I guess)
(3) How many lines have been added after my line (4)
(4) My family's average bill
(5) Me being nice and explaining that the CLN process is flawed and I just want to make sure I don't lose my $300 investment.

They initially offered just a RAZR, but really, I'd rather my Incredible at that point. In no way is that worth even close to the $300 I paid for the Nexus. The MAXX approximates it, and does what it needs to do very well (but with the skewed stats b/c the screen is garbage and powering a garbage screen is easier than powering 720p HD), but after seeing one, playing with one, etc., Blur is a clear downgrade and IMO the design is just not for me.

So essentially, unless the Nexus catches fire and refuses to connect to any network, I'll stick through it. B/c worts and all, when you combine everything, the Nexus is just a better device.

LMAO unless it catches fire.... What were the issues with your other ones if you dont mind me asking.. Thanks for giving your options and circumstances..

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
As much as I like Verizon, I can't help but wonder how screwed over we due to CDMA.

And not going to lie, if I had ATT I would have done the crazy route and saved a paycheck and bought an HTC One X. That thing is so nasty.

Yeah thats what I wonder... I just didnt want at&t smh... Plus im in with unlimited data so I didnt want to leave that for a measly 3gb a month... Also im scarred because I wonder will verizon get the next nexus..

Im with you on the one x.. Id probably have to root in that case cuz im over sense and then that would be a bad A** phone.. That camera screen etc looks to be bad a**

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
LMAO unless it catches fire.... What were the issues with your other ones if you dont mind me asking.. Thanks for giving your options and circumstances..

I created a thread about it a week or so ago, but the rundown is this:

(1) Bought on Dec. 28th; volume rocker stopped working late Feb
(2) CLN replacement had a scuffed/scratched screen
(3) CLN replacement had crap stuck between the screen and the glass (red dots and stuff, visible in sunlight and on yellow/white/green backgrounds) as well as dead pixels
(4) So far so good. The speaker stopped working, but apparently that's a Samsung issue generally w/ the headphone mode not disengaging. All fine now.

In total, I've had only 1 dropped call (through all devices) and my radios have been OK. Nothing really to compare it to, plus I use the 4.0.4 ones and have barely used the stock ones.

For me, it's more about not having to go through this again and not wanting to take my chances. But again, worts and all, this is the best Android device until the HTC One X comes here. That's a better combo of power, screen, etc. The MAXX does some things very well and somethings horribly, just like our phone, but the GN's screen + design + ICS (right now) is just too much for it in a comparo IMHO.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah thats what I wonder... I just didnt want at&t smh... Plus im in with unlimited data so I didnt want to leave that for a measly 3gb a month... Also im scarred because I wonder will verizon get the next nexus..

Im with you on the one x.. Id probably have to root in that case cuz im over sense and then that would be a bad A** phone.. That camera screen etc looks to be bad a**

Same here. When I first got a "data" phone, Verizon was just better. While ATT may be better at some things, I do like VZW's initiative and I'm grandfathered into unlimited.

I don't think they will, but who knows? I can't believe they have sim cards, so anything's possible?

And yes, the HTC One X is the bee's knees. Any GN/MAXX owner that doesn't realize that should not breathe in when their head's inserted that deep into a sand dune, b/c I've heard sand does wonders on the lungs/throat.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
And yes, the HTC One X is the bee's knees. Any GN/MAXX owner that doesn't realize that should not breathe in when their head's inserted that deep into a sand dune, b/c I've heard sand does wonders on the lungs/throat.

Only because HTC is the only company that has shown its big guns at MWC. We have yet to see what moto and Samsung are going to offer as their flagships in the coming months. We have gotten glimpses of GSIII and once specs are finalized, I would suspect it will be no slouch, (better than ONE X?) The quad core exynos should be at least equal if not better than tegra3.

HTC as phone mfr is meh...their designs are not for me.

I am paying a bit more attention to upcoming phones nowadays than a couple months ago mainly because the specs are getting monstrous but by the time they come out our gn will be VERY mature software wise (custom roms'kernels) and we will be able to hold our own.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd much rather get a Nexus device because I know that's going to be updated far longer than one of HTC's phones will.

I will say though.. Out of all the skinned phones htc seems to have the best track record when it comes to updates on their high end devices.. Except you wont see the most up to date skin cuz they use it in their new devices to reel you in again..

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm is it truly that desasterous with kinks or is vzw clicking their heels? What if they are delaying it again and again because they are not getting along with Google and want people to rid of it which is why they have been so quick as of late to exchange for other devices when you call in..... could be losing lots on this one lol. Just poking fun.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
so your "work system" is a forum....seems legit.

either way, i couldn't care less. I had the 4.0.4 radios and a 4.0.3 ROM on day 3, now running 4.0.4 ROM and i have signal that is just slightly less than my thunderbolt did (after its 5th radio upgrade)

OK and here goes my random rant...sorry, if you dont want to hear it skip it by.

about the Razr getting updates quicker and more frequently than the Nexus....that is garbage. anything that is NOT ICS is a waste. they are usually just bug fixers. very Rarely does a Moto device get a significant update. yes the Razr will get ICS...but when? will it get JellyBean....no, probably not...just a bunch of "point" updates and bug fixers.
Same with HTC.

and as for the people that dont want to root because they want the OTA.......WTF? the OTA will be available to the Root/ROM community the same day or earlier as the OTA hits. dont give me that garbage. its been like this for every phone i have had, i see no difference in the nexus.

*end Rant*

as you can tell, i lOVE my nexus...does it have its issues...yeah i guess so...are they deal breakers. not in the least. even the OneX doesn't tickle my fancy. i have done sense, i am over it. i would just end up unlocking, rooting and throwing on stock ICS anyway. for what, a slightly better screen (still love my amoled blacks...LCD can't replace that) and "oh look at me i have quad core" bragging rights. please

ICS was designed around the Nexus...nothing is going to change that...and nothing is going to run as smooth as the Nexus does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard