Solution to getting rid of KITKAT System Update Notification (for those who don't want to update)

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Well.. Not sure if it worked because as soon as i disabled it. My playstore stopped working
So i had to enable it :/

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you need to be a rude a***e.
I was glad to install KitKat it is so much better than 4.3.
Apps Ops is a hidden menu in stock Android that allow you to control permissions for apps. You can turn off permissions that you don't want an app to have access to, such as reading your contacts or your location. This option became available from Android 4.3. However, starting from Android version 4.4.2, Google purposefully make it harder to get access to, it now required root to access.

You can use this app which will open up the Apps Ops menu: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.findsdk.apppermission&token=REkmj00b

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Apps Ops is a hidden menu in stock Android that allow you to control permissions for apps. You can turn off permissions that you don't want an app to have access to, such as reading your contacts or your location. This option became available from Android 4.3. However, starting from Android version 4.4.2, Google purposefully make it harder to get access to, it now required root to access.

You can use this app which will open up the Apps Ops menu: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.findsdk.apppermission&token=Z39z8Jgi

Okay, I installed it, but which one am I going to change?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I installed it, but which one am I going to change?

Which ever you don't want the app to access to. If you don't know what your doing then it's better to not mess with it otherwise you will cause apps to stop working properly.

sent via tapatalk

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Which ever you don't want the app to access to. If you don't know what your doing then it's better to not mess with it otherwise you will cause apps to stop working properly.

sent via tapatalk

All i want is stop the kitkat update install notification

Diecast d

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I got it to stop annoying me by doing this;

Settings >
App >
All >
Find "Google Service Framework" >
Force Stop >
Clear Data and then Disable

I've yet to get that annoying update notice again (I have two Moto G's, one running 4.4.2 and one running 4.3). The screen on the one running 4.3 is definitely brighter when using the automatic brightness. Not sure if it's just my two devices, though.

GOOGLE play stops working!! so this option is out of the game :(

mountaingoat1100

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
1st galaxy note 3 was disaster after kitkat update. It basically disabled my sd card. I was mad!!!. It wouldn't let me revert back to jellybean 4.3. I imediately swapped note 3 for another before my 14th day. Tried everything on forums to stop download of kitkat system notification, but to no avail. Then got wind that after 2 wks the kitkat would download automatically w/out my permission! I went into a panic to figure this out before it was to install kitkst on my 2nd unreturnable phone & destroy it too. So far so good. I originally had disabled "Google framework services".in apps manager, like the post said to do, but it didn't work either. This is a no-root solution that worked for me. I take no responsibility to damage to your phone for this. As its just what.has worked so far for me. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to have worked & the kitkat downloaded notification has stopped pinging me to upgrade to kitkat!
If you already have upgraded to kitkat, this might not work for you. Here's what I did. WARNING: Before going forward with this, back up all your data. Send pics.videos to sd card or store in cloud.Unmount your sd card. Power down phone & remove sd card. Power phone back up.
1)Go to setting, click on general settings,
Click on "Back up & restore" , then click on "FACTORY DATA RESET"...When you do phone will reset to like it was new out of box. Everything you put on or changed will be erased, but the kitkat notification will be removed also! Not sure if it will work if kitkat is already installed before factory data reset. You can try & see. When phone reboots, it will at some point ask you to keep on the "Sprint wifi optimizer to save battery power. IGNORE THAT REQUEST & make sure it is off or otherwise "unchecked" so it won't search out & lock on wifi signals when it finds them. -DONT SKIP THIS STEP-
2) Click on settings, click on "general",
Click on "system update".
3) Un-check "Auto-update" if it is checked.
4)Do check "Downloadable on.wi-fi only"
5) If it is checked, uncheck"Download update on wireless network" (very important).
6)Back out to general setting again.
7) Scroll down & click on "Security" Note: if you're using you phone your for banking, you might reconsider this step. As I do all my internet purchases with a prepaid card for safety.anyway.
8)Scroll down to "Security update services".
9) Uncheck "security policy updates". This prevents it from automatically checking for & downloading any updates to security such as is noted in the kitkat
update which is why they basically disabled the sd card on the.phone.
10)Look at "VIA WIFI ONLY" right under this section and make.sure to uncheck it if it is checked. It says it will only update security policy when connected to wifi.
So far I haven't seen the kitkat system update download to the notification bar since I done these changes. Its been 4 dsys so far. If you use WI-FI again though, it will immediately start the kitkat download again to notification bar. I tried it momentarily. It started kitkat download, I shut off wifi real quick to make it fail . Thank goodness it worked so I would have to do another factory data reset to reset the kitkat 13 day automatic download clock again. It appears that.in.a hurry, you can do a factory data reset to start the clock over if you don't have time to do the above steps right now. That's what I did. Its was better to me to reset than to loose my operational sd card forever. Can't return this phone again. I've got 3g at home & 4g most.of the time. So the 4g.is fast enough for me to live with without having to depending on a.wifi connection.
I also have an un-limited data plan thru sprint. I can live with it. Depending.on.your data plan this might not wk for you on verizon or At&t. But it was the only way I could keep my sd card operational, which is why I bought this phone. If you discover easer option to stop the kitkat update, pls reply. If this wks for you too. Pls let me know in the reply section. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Shafey Mohd

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
hey thx for d info, i have a moto e , and it showed d same notifcation for update , but d catch is that my device is already rooted , now i downloaded and installed d update , now what shud have happened was that it shud have restarted and updated , but as my device is rooted it restarted and gone into recovery mode .. ..everytime even after restarting,.so my point is tht i cant install d update so does anyone knows how to install d update on rooted moto e. otherwise i will just use this app., does this work fine .

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
hey thx for d info, i have a moto e , and it showed d same notifcation for update , but d catch is that my device is already rooted , now i downloaded and installed d update , now what shud have happened was that it shud have restarted and updated , but as my device is rooted it restarted and gone into recovery mode .. ..everytime even after restarting,.so my point is tht i cant install d update so does anyone knows how to install d update on rooted moto e. otherwise i will just use this app., does this work fine .

The reason the update does not install properly is not because you are rooted, its cause you have a custom ROM. You would have had to have a custom recovery like TWRP in order to root, so whether you realise it or not, you got one. In order to install ota update, you first flash stock recovery. In case you have soft bricked your phone, you would now need to install stock ROM.

Once you have attempted to install ota update after flashing custom recovery and rooting, you have messed up your phone for good. So your only option now is to flash stock ROM.

please slap me now

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking of actually powering off your phone when it is 2 weeks. If it doesn't work, then rooting might be the only way to disable it. Also, would it work if you completely reset your phone? I was curious to see if it will also reset the system update. (the one that was downloaded)

I hope this helps.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of actually powering off your phone when it is 2 weeks. If it doesn't work, then rooting might be the only way to disable it. Also, would it work if you completely reset your phone? I was curious to see if it will also reset the system update. (the one that was downloaded)

I hope this helps.

did you not read the solution i posted prior to your message?

it will work.

the reason why my solution will work, and yours (factory reset) will not, is primarily because factory reset wipes /data and /cache. once the factory reset is complete, it will again initialise the download of ota.

however if you wipe the cache from recovery using method i posted, it will not reinitialise the download. afterwards you let it install, but it will have nothing to install, and will throw an error, and give up, and you stay on jellybean.

usertag

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
did you not read the solution i posted prior to your message?

it will work.

the reason why my solution will work, and yours (factory reset) will not, is primarily because factory reset wipes /data and /cache. once the factory reset is complete, it will again initialise the download of ota.

however if you wipe the cache from recovery using method i posted, it will not reinitialise the download. afterwards you let it install, but it will have nothing to install, and will throw an error, and give up, and you stay on jellybean.

After clearing cache, will it keep throwing up error messages ?