[SOLVED] [ANDROID] What to do if sd card is mounted read-only/can't write to the sd card

Mike022465

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Just a heads up: if anyone is using a package disabler, like I am on my S7, make sure that the External Storage - com.android.externalstorage setting IS NOT checked.

I had a major brainfart when I wiped my phone to dump all the crap on it; that when I reinstalled Package Disabler Pro for Samsung, and toggled "Disable all bloatware", it had disabled external storage as well, and that's why my SD card was read only, not read-write.

Hope this helps prevent additional brainfarts.... :p

M

alyza salvador

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
hi! Theres no tools in my properties.tried the steps.. it only showns general tab.. what to do?? i dont have the adapter of the sd card

my phone is Lenovo A5000 cant gfind the tools.onyly general when connected to pc.. what do i do??? help pls,,its my 2nd time now

Last edited by a moderator:

MrZuLu

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an issue that defies logic. I don't own a computer. Only my phone.

I was cleaning up id3 tags so songs matched artist/albums.

I downloaded a concert to internal. I went to move it to SD per normal. Been doing it for years. On different phones. I digress...

I clicked on folder. Selected move... Selected SD music folder and instantly a single word popped up for two seconds with the word CANCELLED in all caps. It disappeared and now my SD card is READ ONLY

What the heck just happened?

There is 14.76gb available on a 32gb chip that less than 6 months old. I reformatted it once to make it solely for music only.

Very reliable source for download. I am a musician. I dont do stupid stuff or play games or videos. Just music Mostly originals and factory rips of CDs I bought.

How can this happen?

desklamp_five

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I tried all of the methods listed here but without success. However I have found something that works.

1: install File Manager + (by Flashlight)
2: install Advanced Task Manager (by Infolife)
3: Go into the ATM Settings, then add all of your apps to the Ignore List, EXCEPT File Manager +
4: Place the ATM widget right next to the FM+ app on your Homescreen.

File Manager + will happily copy files onto external usb drives and SD cards, but ONLY one time, after booting up. So each time you copy or move a file to a usb stick just remember to press the ATM widget when you've finished. This will Force Stop FM+. Then it's all ready to do it again next time.

MortTheBeast

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Just a heads up: if anyone is using a package disabler, like I am on my S7, make sure that the External Storage - com.android.externalstorage setting IS NOT checked.

I had a major brainfart when I wiped my phone to dump all the crap on it; that when I reinstalled Package Disabler Pro for Samsung, and toggled "Disable all bloatware", it had disabled external storage as well, and that's why my SD card was read only, not read-write.

Hope this helps prevent additional brainfarts.... :p

M

Thanks. Your almost 2 yr old post saved me a mountain of headaches! Was wondering why I was having issues transferring files and now it's all fixed after re-enabling externalstorage!

N1911

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Untitled.png

I tried to do that but the properties doesn't display the "Tools" and "Check now" you said.

This is probably because i wasn't using a SD Card Reader but i connected my android device onto my laptop using a USB Cable resulting into the SD Card shown in the phone part instead of being separate in "My Computer" or "Computer" tab.

Is there another way to do it without an SD Card Reader?

kmenden

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
This just happened w/64GB SD card on my Samsung Tab10. Physically removing and reinserting it solved the problem but still going to go for FAT repair on PC. Great advice. Thx!

kmenden

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
This just happened w/64GB SD card on my Samsung Tab10. Physically removing and reinserting it solved the problem but still going to go for FAT repair on PC. Great advice. Thx!
Update: prob returned. Remove/reinsert card numerous times no longer worked. Final repair was FAT FIX described by others above. Thx again guys.

Jonny-S

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Card will became r/o after 10000 cycles of write operation.
If you have an old card it will became r/o one day.
Nothing helps when this happens. You will not fix it.
Just dump your data and buy a new card.

Maybe but I can't get my PC to see all of the files in order to copy them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If even a PC can't see all of the files, then that's even more evidence that the card is failing or corrupt. You could try one of the many data recovery programs out there, like DiskDigger: https://diskdigger.org/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001