Sounds-- Ringing and Notifications

dremin2flyhi

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After update to ICS--can no longer control the volume for like text tones--it works correctly for the ringtone.. Also using Hancent SMS.. updated all apps and done a reboot several times - still having the same issue.. Used to work correctly with GB.. Anyone else see this issue or know of a quick fix ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean that you can't find the volume control for notifications, or that the volume control doesn't work correctly for notifications? In case you can't find the volume control, it's under Settings->Sound->Volumes.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
My buddy is having the same problem after updating his razr to ICS. He has no control over ring tones and notifications. Can't set them or adjust volume levels. He said setting menu freezes and closes. I hope there is a fix besides a factory reset.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

dremin2flyhi

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Cypher that is exactly what I am having-- I can control the actual phone ringtone--but NONE of the other notifications like text or emails--It used to be all the same

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cypher that is exactly what I am having-- I can control the actual phone ringtone--but NONE of the other notifications like text or emails--It used to be all the same

So what does it show you on the Settings->Sound menu? The text/email notification section ("Default notification") should be right under the "Phone ringtone" section. Are you saying that you don't even have that option, or is it not responding correctly to what you select?

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As soon as I installed the update I had the exact problem. I planned factory reset as always anyways so after I did the wipe I haven't noticed any problems since.

I know its a broken record but I always factory reset from recovery and partition cache wipe as well. I have better luck and trust from recovery.

dremin2flyhi

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
B.diddy--what I am saying is have I no volume control over those sounds --they are at MAX volume even tho I turn down the ringtone. Like the Volume control only works for the incoming phone call ringtone--none of the other notifications--I understand I can manually turn them down in sound menu-- but the other notification sounds were lumped together under the volume control in GB--so if you lowered the ringtone--the text and email notifications were lowered to the same volume.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B.diddy--what I am saying is have I no volume control over those sounds --they are at MAX volume even tho I turn down the ringtone. Like the Volume control only works for the incoming phone call ringtone--none of the other notifications--I understand I can manually turn them down in sound menu-- but the other notification sounds were lumped together under the volume control in GB--so if you lowered the ringtone--the text and email notifications were lowered to the same volume.

Interesting--I seem to remember that in GB, the volume control still only controlled the ringtone (or the media volume, if there was something currently playing media). The only way the volume buttons controlled the notification volume was if you went all the way down to silent/vibrate.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, now I see what you're talking about. I still have an older Gingerbread Sony phone, and was reminded that there was a check box that could combine the incoming call ringtone and notification tone volume control. Doesn't appear in ICS, unfortunately.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
In ICS the volume control for ringtones and for notifications is the same setting. You can't set them separately. The volume level you set for ringtones is the volume level you will experience for notifications.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
That is not correct. You have separate volume controls for Media, Ringtones and Notifications. You can't combine them as in GB. There is or probably will be a third party app that can fix that if you need that feature.

Reactions: Deron Baker

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I got more info from my friend at work about what's going on with his phone. Keep in mind he has a Razr not a Maxx shouldn't matter though.

He downloaded ICS then let it I install and he went to bed. When he woke up it was frozen on the install image. (gear no longer spinning). So he had no choice but restart the phone by holding power and volume down. Phone rebooted and ICS is installed but he noticed these problems.

1. Battery life is awful. Drops 10 percent every 30 minutes when not in use.
2. Notification sounds aren't working. When he goes into sound settings to change them menu freezes and closes or sometimes he has to restart phone entirety.

I told him basically a factory reset is the best solution. Can you guys tell me how he can wipe his dalvik cache as well? (need button sequence to get into menu).

Thanks guys.

Update: Fixed!
Found fix for the problem in the Razr forum. Went to settings -apps-all-media storage-clear data force stop and reboot phone. Every is working normally so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I am unable to control the volume of the music player. Like I see the little indicator going up or down, but the music volume stays the same until I turn it all the way down, and then it just goes off completely. I wonder if these two issues are related

dremin2flyhi

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Done the settings>app>media all -- cleared cache -force stop --still didnt work--... Then done a Factory reset -- still the same way.. Found Volume Control + in the app store and this allows everything to work back to normal..

shoshannao

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having same problem within my text app. The side toggle does not control anything but phone volume. I just updated to ICS on my razr maxx and it's been this way ever since. GB allowed the volume to be controlled by the side toggle in whatever app you had open. I don't like having to go to 'sounds' and adjust the volume manually. This is irritating.

benwest

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I too HAD the same problem.

Using Windows Explorer, I created a Media folder and sub-folders of Alarms, Notifications and Ringtones on the internal storage. I placed all my custom tones in the relevant folders. I also removed the Alarms, Notifications and Ringtones folders that were outside of my custom Media folder (root of Internal Storage).

From that point on, both my ringtone and notification volume was controlled by the volume rocker.

Sony Xperia S
4.0.4 Build 6.1.A.0.452

kamax

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded app called ICS linked volume from the App store, its free and it makes volume for calls and notifications 1 slider.

azle

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I down loaded Audio control APP and it allows you to control all the different tone seperately. works great. It also gives you different schedules so you can have a night, day or work setting.

Azle

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capcut pro apk download