Splashtop remote

TerryD

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Fyi
I sent the developer an email about connecting from outside your network. He responded as follows:
Hi, Terry:
Thanks for your interest with Splashtop Remote.
It's not easy to do it now. I can provide you with two samples:

How do I connect to my home computer outside from home via remote network or 3G? : Splashtop Remote - Support
Connect from Outside - using Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router as an example : Splashtop Remote - Support

I don't suggest you to do this. One reason is that it's really not easy for common user to finish that network setup.
Another reason is that we are woring on new function which support 'visit from anywhere' without any network setup. Please be patient waiting for new version update.

--
Best Wishes,
Splashtop Remote Support Team

Hopefully, soon.
Terry

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It's a real shame that I have to install their streamer app. On the iPad, splash top uses the native rdp server. Additionally when trying to connect it does so, but displays a garbled screen.

So far the app has not worked in the least for me :/

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Worked fine for me with a simple port forward in my firewall, and I connect with VPN before I can even do that much on my setup.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Works well for me locally (haven?t gotten around to trying it outside of my LAN.)

Biggest issue I?ve had so far was having to remember the password I set up when the IP of my server changed and I had to put it in again?

I do wish it would support a monitor res of 1920x1200 natively. Dumping the desktop res to 1280x800 when the tablet connects screws up the shortcuts on my PC.

-Suntan

Feldhege

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Mine works now. Just had to add the port forwarding rule. TOO COOL!!! I love how the sound is streamed back to the tablet. Now if they would allow the desktop to stay at a larger resoulation so that the desktop stays correct if would be perfect. I guess though for free (with the TF puchase) I can't complain. :)

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If all you need is an unsecured remote access to your desktop just use VNC. Stable and works well. Can even run it over an SSH tunnel if you want to install and configure cygwin.

yaaah_hoo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No luck on my side. Locally works perfect but not from outside my network. I've setup port forwarding and made sure that the firewall allowed Splashtop. Tried disabling my Antivirus as well and nothing works. I'm stucked.

TerryD

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
No luck on my side. Locally works perfect but not from outside my network. I've setup port forwarding and made sure that the firewall allowed Splashtop. Tried disabling my Antivirus as well and nothing works. I'm stucked.

Join me in waiting for the update.

under999

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Make sure your router has a public ip address from your modem. Thats what got mine working from outside the home network.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
How can you check that? I checked my external ip by going to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address.

That website shows your public IP. What you need to do on your router is whats called a port forward. You open a port to a set IP through the router to allow the protocol to work from point A to B.

The IP you need for the router port forward is the private IP for the computer youre trying to remotely connect (typically 192.168.X.X) and the port of the protocol uses. Once you have that setup then the path you your computer is open for the application. The "whatismyip" is to give you the IP address to create a remote connection outside of your network.

Now if you need to check your IP on windows it depends on which version you have. But this way works for all modern windows:

On the computer youre trying to open up:
-Click Start
-select run or if windows 7 click in the search box
-type "cmd" (no quotes)
-type "ipconfig" (again no quotes)

Look at the output and youll see IP addresses that are private that youll need to use for the port forward.

yaaah_hoo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That website shows your public IP. What you need to do on your router is whats called a port forward. You open a port to a set IP through the router to allow the protocol to work from point A to B.

The IP you need for the router port forward is the private IP for the computer youre trying to remotely connect (typically 192.168.X.X) and the port of the protocol uses. Once you have that setup then the path you your computer is open for the application. The "whatismyip" is to give you the IP address to create a remote connection outside of your network.

Now if you need to check your IP on windows it depends on which version you have. But this way works for all modern windows:

On the computer youre trying to open up:
-Click Start
-select run or if windows 7 click in the search box
-type "cmd" (no quotes)
-type "ipconfig" (again no quotes)

Look at the output and youll see IP addresses that are private that youll need to use for the port forward.

Thanks but I thought it was something else. I've already done all that. That's just your internal IP from the computer you're trying to forward the ports to.