Sprint Connection Optimizer Crash

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Had my GS5 for about a week now and everything has been great, but yesterday it started getting an error. I'll be using the phone and get a little box that says "Sprint Connection Optimizer Updater Not Responding" or something to that effect. Anyone know the cause of this or how to disable it? It then throws the phone into a reboot cycle, but it will get stuck on the Sprint Spark screen and I have to rip the battery in order to get it to boot.

toonzizhere

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine doesn't reboot, I can just back out of it, but I get that screen as well. I notice it when I'm on WiFi and I get a "data connection lost due to roaming" or some such message. I'm neither roaming nor have I lost data (on WiFi after all). I've checked settings and I do have my phone set up to roam for voice & data, so I just move on, nothing seems adversely affected.

Posted via Android Central App

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Smartest thing you can do for yourself is disable the Sprint Connection Optimizer and manually optimize your own connection. That program is a joke and does not work as promised.

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Smartest thing you can do for yourself is disable the Sprint Connection Optimizer and manually optimize your own connection. That program is a joke and does not work as promised.

Yeah, I thought I had it turned off so I wasn't sure why it was still attempting to do anything in the background? Any other way to completely disable it without root?

thelonghop

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. I've seen that popup about the Connection Optimizer Updater crashing and keep finding my phone stuck at Sprint Spark and have to force a reboot but hadn't connected the two. I don't see any way to disable connection optimizer updater. I did a force quit but the disable button is grayed out.

Also, you can push Power+Volume to force a reboot when stuck at that Sprint Spark screen.

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. I've seen that popup about the Connection Optimizer Updater crashing and keep finding my phone stuck at Sprint Spark and have to force a reboot but hadn't connected the two. I don't see any way to disable connection optimizer updater. I did a force quit but the disable button is grayed out.

Also, you can push Power+Volume to force a reboot when stuck at that Sprint Spark screen.

Good to know. I did a factory reset, went to developer and switched to ART and then back to DALVIK but it hasn't happened again. Not sure what the issue was.

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I was actually using ART when it happened, but its been okay after the factory reset/switch to ART to optimize/switch to DALVIK because it seems more stable.

kevin musgrove

May 30, 2014
Visit site
dude mine is doing the same thing I was going to post that question but I don't need to mine is doing it over and over too. it will finally stop for a while then start agian like 15 times a day its pissing me off because sprint spark sucks enough as it is i settled with the constant 3g but i don't want to have mine phone freeze up because my carrier sucks

Merle Taylor

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
dude mine is doing the same thing I was going to post that question but I don't need to mine is doing it over and over too. it will finally stop for a while then start agian like 15 times a day its pissing me off because sprint spark sucks enough as it is i settled with the constant 3g but i don't want to have mine phone freeze up because my carrier sucks

Merle Taylor

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I found my ph staying in 3G is a sprint/ smart spark issue. I know I'm in a LTE area but the "smart spark" is "finding the best" connection! My area is not "smart spark" ready so it'll change my settings to " samsung network" rather than sprint and there is no such thing! I'm not sure any carrier other than sprint is having this issue..

Jeffin92833

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Any chance this is what is causing a bug I see a couple times per week where WiFi is turned off (only when I am out of range)? I was sitting at a restaurant a couple Sundays ago and saw WiFi cycle on and off several times in a matter of seconds.

I usually have Data turned off (I have a Prepaid account for my phone and rarely need data when I am not connected to WiFi at home or work). I expect WiFi to automatically connect when in range, but for the past several weeks, it has been turned off when I arrive at work.

I have Timesheet installed and set to start a timer when I arrive at work to calculate my hours (obviously, it won't work if WiFi is off, and there is a bug where turning WiFi on when I am in range doesn't trigger Timesheet to start recording), but it's been working for months and this problem started recently.

Jeff