My Galaxy S21+ is extremely buggy. Am I alone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Samsung Galaxy s21+ worked fairly well out of the box but within a few days it became apparent that the phone was struggling with a slew of software bugs.

The most noticeable bug is that nearly all my apps suddenly crash fairly frequently. Anything from YouTube, to twitch, to mobile games suffer from this issue. There is no warning, the app just closes. When on Google Chrome I instead get an error (forget exactly what it is, but the page turns white and an error message pops up along with the face of a frozen looking file icon) again with no warning. The frequency of Chrome crashing seems to correlate with the complexity of the page I'm on.

Another issue I'm having is that seemingly whenever I save or take another picture my phone completely loses track of all my other photos. By this I mean my gallery will be empty except for the new image. When I restart my phone all the pictures return including the new one. I will note this issue started occurring after I got my phone repaired for a screen malfunction (not my fault, screen stopped working out of nowhere).

Both of these issues have persisted after I factory reseted my phone, although I do have some suspicion of the cause. I'm not am expert but I think it perhaps has something to do with the fact that I transfered my Galaxy s9 data onto this phone, perhaps the data transfer also transfered over some code that is no longer compatible with the s21. Before I factory reset I backed up my pictures, apps, etc. so perhaps the "corrupt" data persisted.

If any of y'all could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it because I want to love this phone but it has been a buggy nightmare.

Fuobo

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
Hello, after some time I finally got around to factory resetting my phone. I did it without transferring anything over aside from my text messages and contacts. Also when I say transfer I mean I first backed up my data on the cloud before factory reset and then restored it (again, only contacts and texts). I then manually re-downloaded all my apps and whatnot. For the first few days everything was smooth sailing but now the same issues have arrived. Pretty much every app crashes at some point, I have noticed in particular that apps with ads crash nearly 90% of the time when running an ad. This is really annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it. Should I contact Samsung and see if I can get a new phone?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello, after some time I finally got around to factory resetting my phone. I did it without transferring anything over aside from my text messages and contacts. Also when I say transfer I mean I first backed up my data on the cloud before factory reset and then restored it (again, only contacts and texts). I then manually re-downloaded all my apps and whatnot. For the first few days everything was smooth sailing but now the same issues have arrived. Pretty much every app crashes at some point, I have noticed in particular that apps with ads crash nearly 90% of the time when running an ad. This is really annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it. Should I contact Samsung and see if I can get a new phone?
If these problems started after the repair, then I would recommend contacting Samsung and asking them for a new phone. It's possible that something went wrong during the repair that damaged something else that is now affecting everything else. If factory reset without restoring failed to fix the problem, it sounds like it's hardware, not software related.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with laura , try to get a replacement

Fuobo

Nov 20, 2021
Visit site
I agree with laura , try to get a replacement

I contacted Samsung via text and they said I should enable standard smoothing (60hz) and they they're aware of the issue and going to fix it next update. Hopefully it is a software issue and it does get fixed, but if it doesn't I'll probably try another round to see if I can get a new phone. Also the standard smoothing hasn't helped lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I contacted Samsung via text and they said I should enable standard smoothing (60hz) and they they're aware of the issue and going to fix it next update. Hopefully it is a software issue and it does get fixed, but if it doesn't I'll probably try another round to see if I can get a new phone. Also the standard smoothing hasn't helped lol.
Im surprised they told you to change to 60hz
See by next update.