Sprint LG G2: I thought you could talk and use data on 4G

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I thought you could talk and use data on 4G.

No, no spark devices support simultaneous voice and data. There's one radio in the phone. It can only handle one function at a time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

No it shuts off the data as soon as you use the phone. A way around it though I haven't tried myself would be to use talkatone or something that uses data for the phone.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, I suggest that you refrain from posting. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it. Responding in kind is a violation of the forum rules. I suggest that those involved take the opportunity to review the forum rules.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I feel like I have been ripped off.

Quite a few phones (even before spark devices) could only do one or the other, not both. I believe they're trying to get simultaneous voice and LTE (volte) into newer devices, but it's a relatively new technology and difficult to implement.

I'm sorry you got misled with the G2. It's a fantastic phone; however, and there are a few ways around it. You could get whomever you're wishing to speak with onto a Skype phone call. With the voice call being transmitted over data, you'll still have access to your LTE.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, all GSM phones were always able to do it and CDMA phones(Verizon & Sprint) couldn't
With LTE (2 radios) all Verizon phones can do it. Sprint is attempting to maximize data rates so there must be a special design of Spark devices that won't allow it. All other GSM./LTE phones can do this.

Posted via Android Central App

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for trimming the nasty people off here admin. Anyway, Spark is VERY fast. I can live with it, cause all video content can be streamed at the highest resolution no problem.
But my Palm Pre could do data AND talk on a 3G connection. My OG Galaxy S and Gnex both could do both on 4G. It's just that it seems like it has gone backwards. Oh well. I am happy with my G2.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I use GrooveIP to access Google Voice and surf on my G2 at the same time.

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

rcdietz1

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually have no problem with data and voice at the same time. Try following the steps I use. First open your browser, then use slide aside to hide it. Now open up the dialer, make a call (dial or use contacts, as normal), while the call is active, slide the browser window back open surf like as always. Slide the browser back closed, and the call is still there. You can even use speaker phone and talk while browsing. This does not work if you try to open phone app before browser, because the phone app does not support slide aside, therefore it has to the second app opened. One thing, after your call remember to close the slide aside window, or it will just stay open in the background. Hope this works for you, just remember, you have to open the browser first, and slide it aside before making call.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I know.. I think the Samsung galaxy can..
I thought I could to then realized I was at home using wifi..

I came from blackberry so im used to it either way...
no loss here :D

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually have no problem with data and voice at the same time. Try following the steps I use. First open your browser, then use slide aside to hide it. Now open up the dialer, make a call (dial or use contacts, as normal), while the call is active, slide the browser window back open surf like as always. Slide the browser back closed, and the call is still there. You can even use speaker phone and talk while browsing. This does not work if you try to open phone app before browser, because the phone app does not support slide aside, therefore it has to the second app opened. One thing, after your call remember to close the slide aside window, or it will just stay open in the background. Hope this works for you, just remember, you have to open the browser first, and slide it aside before making call.

Not that I don't believe you, but I don't believe you... ;-)

When you do the steps above you must be on WiFi. No matter how you start things, there is only one radio for both voice and data.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Mobilestash

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One m8 and the new S5 can not handle talk and surf at the same time. So sad to take a huge step backwards.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Sprint's LTE network does not support voice, period. There is no such thing as VoLTE on Sprint. Voice is handled by the CDMA network and data is handled by the LTE network. You can not be on the Sprint CDMA network and the Sprint LTE network at same time no matter what device you have. To put two radios in that can simultaneously connect to CDMA and LTE does not exist an iPhone that I'm aware of. Apparently the carriers and the phone manufacturers have determined that to be an unacceptable user experience in terms of battery life and will not do it.

When you are not on a call your phone camps on the LTE network and a technology called eCSFB is triggered when there is an incoming call. That technology tells your phone to switch over to the CDMA network in order to take the call. When you take the call you are no longer on the LTE network.

Yes, Verizon has VoLTE and it is branded as advanced calling. Your phone must support advanced calling and your plan must support advance calling. You also must be in an advanced calling coverage area. The problem with their implementation is that if you take the call on their LTE network using VoLTE and while on the call you lose the 4G signal then your call drops. It will not transition to the CDMA network.

Sprint deemed that unacceptable and placed their bet on the fact that more customers would be concerned about calls dropping then would be concerned about not being able to have simultaneous voice and data. Since you can still use wifi and a voice call on Sprint, I think they placed their bet correctly in my opinion.

This all goes away someday when the carriers turn off their CDMA networks and only offer LTE. But we are years away from that even starting. The bottom line is that if you want simultaneous voice and data and also don't want to worry about dropping calls then your only choice in the United States is a GSM carrier.

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
LG G2 sucks. I rarely get calls when i am on LTE. Actually, I don't get calls when i am on LTE. LG told me to use CDMA and to clear my cache. G2 is bull****. I returned it to LG for these same reasons, and they supposedly fixed them. Did not. F LG.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
LG G2 sucks. I rarely get calls when i am on LTE. Actually, I don't get calls when i am on LTE. LG told me to use CDMA and to clear my cache. G2 is bull****. I returned it to LG for these same reasons, and they supposedly fixed them. Did not. F LG.

That sounds more like your network then the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorawarsingh