Step count on my Note8 has stopped. How do I get it to restart?

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Up until yesterday, I have been using SHealth to monitor my daily step count. I have a Gear S3 Frontier watch that is paired with my Note8. Previously, both devices would record step count as I walk around and S Health would combine the two, eliminating duplications. Worked like a champ!

Today, however, I had to put the Gear S3 on the charger for a few hours. No problem -- the Note8 would record the steps taken when I take the dog for a half-mile walk. WRONG! The Note8 says it has recorded 0 steps today.

This is NOT due to the Gear being on the charger. Before today, my Note8 recorded steps with or without the Gear S3 on my wrist.

I have tried to follow the HELP suggestions to turn on step counting, but it is apparently on as the settings selection buried in S Health show the option to "Pause auto step counting." I have tried turning off and back on, but still no step count.

Any suggestions?

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Try this:
1) Open Samsung Health
2) Click on the Steps area
3) Directly under the graph you will see a button "Mine says 'Gear S3'". Click it.
4) You should see a dialog pop up showing the source of step count.
5) Based on your post, I think that you want to click on "All steps" so they are recorded on phone and Gear S3.

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I have had it set to "All Steps" as the default. Still does not record any steps on my Note8 today. Formerly, I would have one total for the NOte8, another total for the Gear S3, and a third combined total for "All devices." Now, the "All devices" is the same as the "Gear S3" total and the Note8 step count is zero. I leave the count on "All steps" as the default.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Any other thoughts?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine stopped working after the gdpr thing, I cleared cache and accepted T&C's again after reopening the app and all good

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any wearables attached but mine stopped working too. Over 3 weeks ago, downloaded pacer, that didn't work either. Help please

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I have updated, still not working:( I even installed other pedometers like Google fit and pacer. Still no step count. It remains at 0.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Uninstalled and reinstalled couple of times, didn't work either.

Did you force stop, clear data and cache first, and then uninstall app? Re-boot and install latest Samsung Health app? You basically want it to function as it did as when it was new. I'm sure you have tried everything possible. Good luck. I really depend on my Samsung Health for counting steps and would miss it.

Last edited:

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes i did and restarted the phone. Just can't figure out the problem and i really depended on it. Even tried other pedometer apps too but they don't work either, it's a real bummer for me. Thanks for your help tho.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes i did and restarted the phone. Just can't figure out the problem and i really depended on it. Even tried other pedometer apps too but they don't work either, it's a real bummer for me. Thanks for your help tho.

You are welcome. I just read one more thing to try which is to go into system apps clear the cache on the phone app and then shut down phone and start it.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

if other pedometer apps don't work either then it's is sounding more and more like a hardware issue, have you looked into warranty repair

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
You're right. My mic stopped working so I took it to Samsung Care. I got the phone back after 3 days and everything works fine again. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana