Still overheating and laggy?

BBGBBG

May 20, 2015
Visit site
So my contract is up and it's time to upgrade from my Nexus 4, but I'm cheap and don't need leading edge technology, and one of the devices I'm looking at is the G3 (the other is the Nexus 5). Reviews that I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive, but two problems that I've seen mentioned are:

• Lag can be an issue
  • The device is susceptible to over heating
The thing is, the reviews I've read are months old, so, are these still problems for the G3, or have they been fixed?

Also, as I'm used to the PureAndroid™ experience of the Nexus 4, how is the interface of the G3 out of the box? I've had a chance to play around with one at the store, and it seems fine, but I'm not the type who wants to tinker too much.

Thanks for any advice.

draskome

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If your choices are Nexus 5 and G3, I would go for G3 for sure.
G3 is a bit laggy and can be hot, but it is very good phone in all aspects.

But if I may,I would propose G2, which is probably the most complete smartphone on the market. Reasons: no lag at all, amazing battery life, amazing display and camera, good hardware, and you can flash CloudyG2 ROM for complete G3 look and feel.. Cons: no microSD slot, so you need 32gb model.

Posted via the Android Central App

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The LG skin is very ugly. Mine only overheats when on phone call. No lag. There is the WiFi sync bug. To me, the ugly UI, and the WiFi sync bug are the only things I don't like about it.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The vast majority of the bugs that deal with WiFi are the Verizon G3's with the Lollipop update and it seems that Verizon has said a fix is maybe a few months out.
I have an unlocked, International version (D855) running on AT&T. It upgraded to Lollipop immediately out of the box as part of the initial setup.
Mine shows NO lag, does NOT get even unduly warm and I've had NO problems with it at all. I've been on a phone call for over an hour before and it's not the slightest warm even.
No sync issues, good battery life, I usually get around 4 hours of screen time per charge (see the screen on time thread that I posted some screen shots to).
If you don't like the UI and want a more "pure Android" experience, try the Google Now launcher (it's free from the Play Store), that brings you a pure Android UI like the Nexus 5, 7 etc.
I use it. It's super clean and fast.

Fred

BBGBBG

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The vast majority of the bugs that deal with WiFi are the Verizon G3's with the Lollipop update and it seems that Verizon has said a fix is maybe a few months out.
I have an unlocked, International version (D855) running on AT&T. It upgraded to Lollipop immediately out of the box as part of the initial setup.
Mine shows NO lag, does NOT get even unduly warm and I've had NO problems with it at all. I've been on a phone call for over an hour before and it's not the slightest warm even.
No sync issues, good battery life, I usually get around 4 hours of screen time per charge (see the screen on time thread that I posted some screen shots to).
If you don't like the UI and want a more "pure Android" experience, try the Google Now launcher (it's free from the Play Store), that brings you a pure Android UI like the Nexus 5, 7 etc.
I use it. It's super clean and fast.

Fred

Thanks Fred, that's just the sort of info I was looking for. I would be getting a D852 (We get our own version in Canada! Yay?) and I have yet to see if that's got any idiosyncratic issues.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
There most certainly seems to be problems with the Lollipop version that Verizon pushed out to their customers, but I'm not on Verizon.
Also, since I have a non-carrier, unlocked, International version, I wonder how much of the "issues" that are being reported might be due to carrier installed bloatware.
I have none.

Fred

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading from KitKat to Lollipop made a huge difference with respect to the lag issue. It's faster on switching apps, running them etc. Finally it's on par with what I thought this phone can do especially with its specs. I guess the lag people complain about are YMMV cause people tend to tinker their phone too much.

As for the overheating, never experienced it, I use my phone heavily on streaming music to/from work and also streaming TV shows while on lunch break. I don't play games on my phone, that's what prolly causes it. My battery usually lasts between 3-3.5hr SOT because of heavy streaming (not to mention BT and WiFi are always on).

So far, I love this phone. I'm thinking of getting the G4 but it's not really a huge upgrade from the G3 so I'll wait til next year. I'm pretty sure you'll like the G3 as well as it is one of the best, amazing phones out there.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a uk unlocked d855. Mine got lollipop the day I turned it on (Feb) Love the camera, and the looks. I have however struggled with battery (2.5 hrs screen on time) and it has got hot. I even have a screen burn yellow ring on the right hand side. I constantly turn things off (push, location, OK Google, brightness etc) to try and get something like my xperia Z1. Lg told me my battery and overheating was a bug in google which I needed to wait for Google to fix. This concerned me. My phone will go back for a warranty exchange but if this doesn't fix my other issues then I will sell which is unfortunate because the g3 could easily be perfect with the right software. (PS. I can't flash as a corporate lockdown!!)

action-packed

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I would say go with the Nexus 5. The G3 is my first and last LG phone. Mine is up to date and it still lags. With the hardware on this phone that's unacceptable. The phone still over heats. Sometimes I have to pull the battery and leave it off to cool down. And speaking of the battery, the battery life is down right AWFUL. Go with the Nexus 5. I'm eligible to upgrade on July first and that can't come fast enough for me. I know another guy who has this phone and he hates it as well.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Fred, that's just the sort of info I was looking for. I would be getting a D852 (We get our own version in Canada! Yay?) and I have yet to see if that's got any idiosyncratic issues.

I have the D852 on Bell. The LP update fixed all the issues I had. No more lag, and battery life is awesome. I am running a custom ROM, however, it's just stock minus the bloat. I really only rooted it because I can't say no, but it was excellent stock.

I love this phone, but I will be selling it once I get the G4. :)

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

finbaar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I would say go with the Nexus 5. The G3 is my first and last LG phone. Mine is up to date and it still lags. With the hardware on this phone that's unacceptable. The phone still over heats. Sometimes I have to pull the battery and leave it off to cool down. And speaking of the battery, the battery life is down right AWFUL. Go with the Nexus 5. I'm eligible to upgrade on July first and that can't come fast enough for me. I know another guy who has this phone and he hates it as well.

Err, the Nexus 5 IS A LG PHONE.

The G3 is a fine device. Lag is minimal and I don't really have any overheating issues on my D855. The battery life isn't as stellar as my G2 was but I dont think 11 hours 55 minutes on battery with 2 hours screen on and 38% remaining is to bad.

As for software, install the Google Now launcher, use the Google messaging app, keyboard, calender and some other apps and you will hardly notice the LG stuff. I have owned the first 4 nexus phones plus many other Android phones and the G3 is the first I haven't installed CM on.

draskome

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Seems that I was not completely clear.. My G3 is not overheating, but cpu can reach quite high temperatures occasionally, without any impact to performance.. Battery is always cool.
I also said that some lag can be noticed, but it is just in the domain of personal impression.. Nothing slow here really :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anantshukla