Still recommended?

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well said!

Each phone is exactly that...personal preference. Everyone has different needs and wants. That's the beauty of having all these awesome options.

The 6p has been taken out of the race for me. So now it's down to the S7 Edge and iPhone 6s Plus which is pretty much a tie for me at this point.

Right now I'm leaning towards the S7 Edge because I feel right at home on a Samsung. We'll see once the "honeymoon phase" is over?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't anymore either. I've never really had a problem with it even going back to the S3 and Note 2 but I guess that's a personal preference thing.

There are definitely things I like about the S7 over the 6P and the other way around. After 3 days of use, I just think that for daily use the S7 is going to win out. I'm not calling it yet though. I have to let that shiny new object feeling wear off. Lol.

If I use my S7 edge and 6P back to back there is still a little "lag" on the S7. I hate calling it that because if I didn't use the 6P right along with it, I would never notice. TouchWiz is not the same as it was, not even close. I do hate all the crap that gets loaded on the carrier phones on top of all the stuff Samsung loads on. I don't mind the Samsung stuff that much as I do use a lot of it.

While I like timely updates, I've never understood why everyone gets so upset about it. Security updates, sure but software updates I don't get. Sure iPhone gets updates right away, but the added features are usually already on android. Same with stock Android. Many of the stock Android features being added were already on Samsung, LG, HTC or Motorola devices in one form or another. It's usually a UI change and I can get that without even having to root.

I guess all of this is really just personal preferences. At the end of the day all three of the devices that have been mentioned are great phones. We will choose the one that works best for ourselves. In some cases we keep two because we can't make that choice.

I agree about OS updates. They're not apples to apples between iOS and Android. So much of Android can be updated through the Play Store and over the air updates. Camera - updated in the Play Store. Gmail - updated in the Play Store. Keyboard - updated in the Play Store. The list goes on. On iOS, each of those things has to be updated in a full OS release. Sure everyone gets it at the same time, but Android is much more free to evolve without major OS updates. And even N is basically including a lot of features that Samsung and others already have. But the instant apps and background OS updates do look pretty nice.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree about OS updates. They're not apples to apples between iOS and Android. So much of Android can be updated through the Play Store and over the air updates. Camera - updated in the Play Store. Gmail - updated in the Play Store. Keyboard - updated in the Play Store. The list goes on. On iOS, each of those things has to be updated in a full OS release. Sure everyone gets it at the same time, but Android is much more free to evolve without major OS updates. And even N is basically including a lot of features that Samsung and others already have. But the instant apps and background OS updates do look pretty nice.
I agree. I do like Android N on my 6P. I can get most of those features on my S7 too but they are nice to have baked in.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would for the new Nexus since this year they may release earlier as Android N looks early this year as well.

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you have kept your S5 for two years. With arms full of wonderful kids, I suspect you will keep your next phone for two years.

If you will keep your next phone for two years, I say wait. If you will upgrade from the 6P after 6-12 months, then go for it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what people don't like about TouchWiz? I've never found anything I don't like about it? What are some of the cons about TouchWiz?

Here's one use case... I'm an ambassador/mod here on AC.... so I have to go in and look at linked posts from time to time.... And I might want to have them open in the stand alone AC app, the AC Forums app, or I might have to look at it in Chrome. With the newer version of touchwiz, when you click on an link that will prompt you a list of apps, it'll set that app as the default... there's no option to only open the link in the selected app once. So if I needed to open that link in a different app, I would then have to go into the app settings and clear that app's default targets.... every time I needed to send that link to a different app.

You know how tiresome that would get? I never realized how often I bounce links between apps like that until I used a phone that didn't handle it the same way as how Android does by default. It become a major irritant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332