Still recommended?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Man, you COMPLETELY summed up my sentiments on iPhone vs. Android. I've had some weird difficulty giving up my iPhone. And it's mostly due to advertising and that "it just works" stuff that gets implanted into our heads. I've had a decent amount of lag, freezes, app crashes, Bluetooth crashes, etc. on my iPhone 6s Plus. I even have a screen shot of my Messages app and keyboard completely freezing the other day with a letter highlighted. I had to reboot the phone to get it to work. My wife HATES Apple, so it's really just my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and my other in-laws that are Apple. So they'll have to deal with me switching. My wife has also had a S6 edge Plus since last fall and it has been rock solid. At least as smooth as my iPhone. The only issue she seemed to have was due to an app conflict. So I can definitely confirm with you that Android has hit that smoothness factor that Apple has long claimed the title for.

I also started looking at what I really do with my iPhone in day to day usage, and I saw nothing that made me think I had to keep it. Everything it does, an Android phone does just as well. And an Android phone does some other things that I love that an iPhone may do in 2020. So for my usage, it makes complete sense to switch back to Android.

And like you, I am NOT in the Apple ecosystem at all. The only iTunes movies I have are the kids Disney movies, which are also in my Google Play Movies, so I'm losing NOTHING. I also use Google Play Music like it's going out of style and have no use for iTunes. Plus I love Chromebooks, and use Windows PCs at work and at home. So basically I'm a Google guy all around, using an iPhone. I think it's time I give Android a fair shake again.
Go for it. I've been using the S7 Edge this weekend and it's such a great experience. I miss some things from the 6P but it may be the one that I stick with. We will see. I'm not getting rid of the nexus either.

The iPhone is a good device and for some people it is certainly the best choice. I just think that there are a lot of people out there buying it because of that Apple logo and because of what's been put in our heads for so long. I do think some people are waking up though. I hope apple steps it up. Competition is always good.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Go for it. I've been using the S7 Edge this weekend and it's such a great experience. I miss some things from the 6P but it may be the one that I stick with. We will see. I'm not getting rid of the nexus either.

The iPhone is a good device and for some people it is certainly the best choice. I just think that there are a lot of people out there buying it because of that Apple logo and because of what's been put in our heads for so long. I do think some people are waking up though. I hope apple steps it up. Competition is always good.

I just picked up a 6P on Swappa (with Nexus Protect) so I think I'm going to give that a shot for a bit. Then check out the Note 7 and new Nexus devices in the fall. I don't want to pick up an S7 or edge right now with the Note 7 on the way apparently in a month and a half or so.

I also completely agree about Apple. I understand why people like it. But I also think some of those people would love something else if they gave it a fair shot. I also understand if you're fully invested in the ecosystem that it wouldn't make sense to leave. But if you aren't, I don't see any area, other than customer support, where Apple leads anything anymore.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a 6P on Swappa (with Nexus Protect) so I think I'm going to give that a shot for a bit. Then check out the Note 7 and new Nexus devices in the fall. I don't want to pick up an S7 or edge right now with the Note 7 on the way apparently in a month and a half or so.

I also completely agree about Apple. I understand why people like it. But I also think some of those people would love something else if they gave it a fair shot. I also understand if you're fully invested in the ecosystem that it wouldn't make sense to leave. But if you aren't, I don't see any area, other than customer support, where Apple leads anything anymore.
I know I'll be tempted by the Note as well. I've had every one of them for the last four years. We will see. I got a good deal on the Edge so if I sold it to get the Note it wouldn't be awful. I like the size of the edge though so we will see. I also really like my 6P so I hope I'm good for a little while. Lol.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Just setup the S7 Edge last night. I ended up trading my Nexus 6p for a Galaxy S7 edge bundle. I got the phone, case, wireless charging pads, and Gear VR. All brand new! Couldn't pass up the deal.

I can say in the first 2 days that I already like the S7 more than the 6p. I've always been a Note guy since the 2, so I feel right at home on a Sammy lol.

I'm still fine tuning it right now, but this may be the phone that makes me sell off the iPhone 6s Plus? That and I 100% plan on getting the new Note!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Same here. Just setup the S7 Edge last night. I ended up trading my Nexus 6p for a Galaxy S7 edge bundle. I got the phone, case, wireless charging pads, and Gear VR. All brand new! Couldn't pass up the deal.

I can say in the first 2 days that I already like the S7 more than the 6p. I've always been a Note guy since the 2, so I feel right at home on a Sammy lol.

I'm still fine tuning it right now, but this may be the phone that makes me sell off the iPhone 6s Plus? That and I 100% plan on getting the new Note!

Are you using default Samsung launcher or something else?

{Nexus 6P}

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So I compared my apps on the two phones that used fingerprint. On iOS I have 18 apps that use TouchID while only 4 apps use Imprint on the 6P ,4!

That's ridiculous considering how long Marshmallow has been out.

That is one of the main things I hate about Android is the glacial pace at which things are implemented and adopted by the app developers.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Are you using default Samsung launcher or something else?

{Nexus 6P}
I used the TouchWiz the first day and am using Nova Launcher Prime today.

I like NLP because of the smaller app icons and app drawer. Don't have much experience with much else.

Roose00

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Swarlos, you have to remember though, the iPhone fingerprint reader has been out for three generations of iPhones. Only NOW, do i use it on a daily basis for apps. It has taken a long, long time to see results on iPhone too.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So I compared my apps on the two phones that used fingerprint. On iOS I have 18 apps that use TouchID while only 4 apps use Imprint on the 6P ,4!

That's ridiculous considering how long Marshmallow has been out.

That is one of the main things I hate about Android is the glacial pace at which things are implemented and adopted by the app developers.
Yes. That's the main reason I keep my iPhone around! Basically for my banking and paying bills. It's so nice to just log in and pay stuff.

On my 6p, Chase was the app that used fingerprint scanning. Everything else was conventional log in.

Haven't got that fat setting up my S7 edge yet. I plan on doing all the banking apps tonight.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes. That's the main reason I keep my iPhone around! Basically for my banking and paying bills. It's so nice to just log in and pay stuff.

On my 6p, Chase was the app that used fingerprint scanning. Everything else was conventional log in.

Haven't got that fat setting up my S7 edge yet. I plan on doing all the banking apps tonight.

I do like that there was App Lock fingerprint so I could lock any app that didn't have it built in.

But what is really dope when I get to jailbreak my iPhone is a tweak called Bioprotect which lets me protect everything on my phone with TouchID from my icons being moved around on the homescreen to someone turning off my phone they'd need my fingerprint.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I do like that there was App Lock fingerprint so I could lock any app that didn't have it built in.

But what is really dope when I get to jailbreak my iPhone is a tweak called Bioprotect which lets me protect everything on my phone with TouchID from my icons being moved around on the homescreen to someone turning off my phone they'd need my fingerprint.
Ya man, I agree.

I come to the conclusion that any phone that I get from here on out will have to have a fingerprint scanner. Period.

I just rely on them too much.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Ya man, I agree.

I come to the conclusion that any phone that I get from here on out will have to have a fingerprint scanner. Period.

I just rely on them too much.

Yeah same here. Even back when the 5S came out I sold it when I purchased a Nexus 5. Even then as soon as I used the Nexus 5 I immediately missed TouchID even though at that time it only unlocked the phone pretty much. Using a passcode, pattern or password to unlock your phone every time just seems so draconian now LOL. I still scratch my head when I see people with a 6S or Android phone with a FPS and they still enter in a passcode.

Also want to ask if any of you guys that are switching or have switch do you have an Android Wear watch at all?

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah same here. Even back when the 5S came out I sold it when I purchased a Nexus 5. Even then as soon as I used the Nexus 5 I immediately missed TouchID even though at that time it only unlocked the phone pretty much. Using a passcode, pattern or password to unlock your phone every time just seems so draconian now LOL. I still scratch my head when I see people with a 6S or Android phone with a FPS and they still enter in a passcode.

Also want to ask if any of you guys that are switching or have switch do you have an Android Wear watch at all?

Funny you ask about android wear. Yes I have Huawei watch and smart lock set for it. Basically my phone is never locked until I'm away from it. It's best thing since sliced bread.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
You are definitely not alone. I've had the hardest time giving up the iPhone even though Android fits my usage so much better. It comes down to family and friends using iOS. I have kept it mainly for the that reason. Plus I have had that same "it just works" mantra in my head. The reality is that I have had the same number of issues with my iPhone as my android phones. Very very few in both cases. I sold my 6s plus last week to use the 6p full time. Then an opportunity came up to grab a new S7 Edge for a great price. I took it. I just don't see going back to the iPhone. My family is starting to see that android is not some awful OS filled with issues. Apple has filled people's heads (mine included) with a lot of garbage and it has worked. Both the 6P and the S7 are amazing phones and smooth as any iPhone.

I made a list of what I do with my phone daily and there is not one thing that Apple does better anymore. I'm not saying android does everything better. I'm saying they are equally as good at the things most people do daily. Different ways of getting it done, but both very good.

If I were in the apple ecosystem maybe it would be different but I'm not. I use PC'S and chromebooks. Android just makes sense and my iPhone using family and friends will adjust to me being a different color.

You, Lefty724, Wildo6882, and swarlos are all in a similar place, and I'm in there with you all. Change the 6P to just Android in general. I feel at home in this thread...lol. It feels hard for sure. I'm a chronic switcher. I like the simplicity of iOS a lot, but I hate the lack of customization. I don't need the world of customization, but some is nice. I then go to Android and then I like it, and I feel like I'm in a sea of it, and I haven't found the Android phone that meets the simplicity, customization and the battery life combo I'll like, along with a good size. Hoping to find it.

I switch back to iOS because of my battery life annoyance but then I get frustrated with the lack of customization. To get a good inbetween, I go to Windows Phone/Mobile but then find myself annoyed with app quality (i.e. MLB At Bat) and/or the app I am used to using doesn't exist or has a poor third-party alternative that sucks. This madness has me in a circle, I just want it to end. Even though most of my friends list has iOS, they were not the reason for me to get an iPhone, and I hardly ever used iMessage, and FaceTimed once.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah same here. Even back when the 5S came out I sold it when I purchased a Nexus 5. Even then as soon as I used the Nexus 5 I immediately missed TouchID even though at that time it only unlocked the phone pretty much.

Same here. 5S touch ID impressed me, I sold my 5S and went to a bunch of phones without finger unlock, left me wishing I had the 5S. Finger print unlock is a must these days.

{Nexus 6P}

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After a 2 solid days using the S7 Edge, I'm impressed. Everything is fast and beautiful on this phone.

My iPhone 6s Plus battery and notifications (iPhone also has a sim in it) still kill the S7 Edge but it's OK. Hopefully the battery will settle in....once I can keep my hands off of it lol.

Small things like the 1 physical home button, number row on top, swype, headphone port on the bottom, Zedge, etc...are why I miss my Samsung devices!

I really liked my 6p, but thought the size was a little big and my few must haves weren't there. I have a Nexus 5x on the way next to play with a little...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
After a 2 solid days using the S7 Edge, I'm impressed. Everything is fast and beautiful on this phone.

My iPhone 6s Plus battery and notifications (iPhone also has a sim in it) still kill the S7 Edge but it's OK. Hopefully the battery will settle in....once I can keep my hands off of it lol.

Small things like the number row on top, swype, headphone port on the bottom, Zedge, etc...are why I miss my Samsung devices!

See I couldn't go Samsung. I know TouchWhiz isn't as intrusive as it used to be but still I just don't like Samsung haha. Plus I don't want to have to deal with all the carrier BS and slower updates (I know Samsung has been doing better) but the iPhone has spoiled me. It would be Nexus or bust for me now and I'm on Verizon so I know that limits my choices some.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what people don't like about TouchWiz? I've never found anything I don't like about it? What are some of the cons about TouchWiz?

With that being said, I'm using Nova Launcher lol. Just because I like very small icons and tiny fonts lol.

I didn't like the calendar or text format or keyboard on the 6p. These are thingso I use the most. Other than those, the 6p is an awesome phone.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what people don't like about TouchWiz? I've never found anything I don't like about it? What are some of the cons about TouchWiz?

With that being said, I'm using Nova Launcher lol. Just because I like very small icons and tiny fonts lol.

I didn't like the calendar or text format or keyboard on the 6p. These are thingso I use the most. Other than those, the 6p is an awesome phone.
It may not have much relevance anymore but it was mainly all the Samsung bloat, the ugly UI, and horrible lag.

I've played with a S7 edge at Best Buy and I still don't love the look of Touch Whiz and I know I could use Nova which is what I'm using on the 6P. But there's just some things that you can't theme with Nova unless you root.

I'm not an Android noob far from it when I used Android from 2010-2012 I owned four phones and rooted every phone but didn't flash ROMs heavily until owning my GNEX.

I don't foresee myself leaving iOS anytime soon because if I did I'd want a smart watch to accompany my Android phone and there is no Android Wear watches that interest me right now.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't anymore either. I've never really had a problem with it even going back to the S3 and Note 2 but I guess that's a personal preference thing.

There are definitely things I like about the S7 over the 6P and the other way around. After 3 days of use, I just think that for daily use the S7 is going to win out. I'm not calling it yet though. I have to let that shiny new object feeling wear off. Lol.
It may not have much relevance anymore but it was mainly all the Samsung bloat, the ugly UI, and horrible lag.

I've played with a S7 edge at Best Buy and I still don't love the look of Touch Whiz and I know I could use Nova which is what I'm using on the 6P. But there's just some things that you can't theme with Nova unless you root.

I'm not an Android noob far from it when I used Android from 2010-2012 I owned four phones and rooted every phone but didn't flash ROMs heavily until owning my GNEX.

I don't foresee myself leaving iOS anytime soon because if I did I'd want a smart watch to accompany my Android phone and there is no Android Wear watches that interest me right now.
If I use my S7 edge and 6P back to back there is still a little "lag" on the S7. I hate calling it that because if I didn't use the 6P right along with it, I would never notice. TouchWiz is not the same as it was, not even close. I do hate all the crap that gets loaded on the carrier phones on top of all the stuff Samsung loads on. I don't mind the Samsung stuff that much as I do use a lot of it.

While I like timely updates, I've never understood why everyone gets so upset about it. Security updates, sure but software updates I don't get. Sure iPhone gets updates right away, but the added features are usually already on android. Same with stock Android. Many of the stock Android features being added were already on Samsung, LG, HTC or Motorola devices in one form or another. It's usually a UI change and I can get that without even having to root.

I guess all of this is really just personal preferences. At the end of the day all three of the devices that have been mentioned are great phones. We will choose the one that works best for ourselves. In some cases we keep two because we can't make that choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver