Still recommended?

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's upgrade time and it couldn't have come soon enough. Galaxy S5 has been irritating me for some time.

While I was tempted by the HTC 10, the Nexus 6p is the front runner. I am conscious new Nexus devices will be arriving in the not to distant future, along with the note 6 but I am too impatient to wait. There's also some decent deals to be had with the handset being a bit older.

As experienced 6p owners, if you were in my shoes, would you get it (again)?

All opinions appreciated.

Yes, loving it as well as Project fi.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Had my 6P since launch and had no complaints thus far. Still the best device you can pick up on the market today IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would purchase it again,the deals on this phone now are awesome.I purchased mine Jan.2016 when the gold model became available.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Though I do not have a 6P, my advice to you is to buy it now.

Yes, new Nexus devices are coming, but the 6P is an amazing handset and if you don't want to pay top flagship dollar for a Nexus phone (and who knows, maybe when this new Nexus device comes out, you may like the 6P better, or it may, subjectively, not be as good as the 6P in some respects), the 6P has been out for a while, and so it won't hurt your wallet as much.

Of course, if you do want the 6P but want to pay even less, you can always wait until the new Nexus device comes out and grab the 6P; because then it would have dropped in price even more by that point.

Either way, this is a decision only you can make. I'm like you - I hate waiting for phones! But sometimes by waiting for a little while, you get the phone at a decent price; or you wait even longer and get it at a super good deal.

And even if you buy the 6P and the new Nexus comes out, it's not like you're suddenly stuck with a not-so-good device. I have a feeling that the 6P will be relevant for a long time. Do what you feel is best for you. :) Let us know what you decide!

ChrisP1234

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Picked one up a week or so ago. Thoroughly impressed so far. Lovely bit of kit. Although the UK model appears to have some unsightly CE markings on the rear. Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days and am absolutely floored!

Coming from a iPhone 6s Plus, my standards are pretty high. The 6p has met and exceeded all expectations!

My only problem right now is that I can't put the phone down for more than a couple of minutes lol.

Battery life still goes to the iPhone, though I'm giving the 6p's battery a chance to settle in.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine last week from Best Buy at full price. Went back last night to get my $80. I was happy before. Now I'm really happy. You just can't beat the value at this price.

Are you still using an iPhone, too? I've had a 6s Plus since December but really getting the itch to get back to Android. Been looking at the 6P again because I've always preferred the stock experience. But I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days and am absolutely floored!

Coming from a iPhone 6s Plus, my standards are pretty high. The 6p has met and exceeded all expectations!

My only problem right now is that I can't put the phone down for more than a couple of minutes lol.

Battery life still goes to the iPhone, though I'm giving the 6p's battery a chance to settle in.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about the phone. I'm debating on grabbing one and would be coming from a 6s Plus, too.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to hear what you have to say about the phone. I'm debating on grabbing one and would be coming from a 6s Plus, too.

Ya, gonna give it a couple of more days and make up my mind.

So far, it's the best Android device I've used. It's fast, fluid and has a great screen.

However.....a few things that I really miss. I'm learning that I absolutely have to have a physical home button. I've relied on them for so long, it just feels wrong without one lol.

Battery life is no where near the iPhone 6s Plus. With my use, I get minimum 2 days of battery life (sometimes more?) out of my 6s Plus. The 6p has to be charged every night. At the end of the day on the 6p, I'm usually at 10-15%.

Another one of my OCD things is that I have to have the headphone jack out of the bottom of the phone. My phone mounts in my vehicles all are setup with the jack on the bottom. Not a big deal, but another little one of my pet peeves.

Still testing it out for now. It's a great phone, but i think in the end it may be going back? We'll see.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

So far, it's the best Android device I've used. It's fast, fluid and has a great screen.

However.....a few things that I really miss. I'm learning that I absolutely have to have a physical home button. I've relied on them for so long, it just feels wrong without one lol.

Battery life is no where near the iPhone 6s Plus. With my use, I get minimum 2 days of battery life (sometimes more?) out of my 6s Plus. The 6p has to be charged every night. At the end of the day on the 6p, I'm usually at 10-15%.

Another one of my OCD things is that I have to have the headphone jack out of the bottom of the phone. My phone mounts in my vehicles all are setup with the jack on the bottom. Not a big deal, but another little one of my pet peeves.

Still testing it out for now. It's a great phone, but i think in the end it may be going back? We'll see.

Completely understand all of that. I love Android and have since the original Moto Droid X. But I've been on this iPhone since December and even though I still love Android, I find myself having trouble jumping back to it. I miss the customization, for sure. And I still use Google services for pretty much everything, so it wouldn't be hard to come back. But this iPhone has some strange stranglehold on me.

I appreciate your response!

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Completely understand all of that. I love Android and have since the original Moto Droid X. But I've been on this iPhone since December and even though I still love Android, I find myself having trouble jumping back to it. I miss the customization, for sure. And I still use Google services for pretty much everything, so it wouldn't be hard to come back. But this iPhone has some strange stranglehold on me.

Ya man. It's tough to let go of the iPhone.

The notifications are just way ahead of Android imo.

Also, I HAVE to have fingerprint scanners on my phones. On iOS, more apps have the fingerprint scanner and iOS is just more polished imo.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post how much I'm used to the toggle switch to mute the sound. I'm so used to this that I miss it when it's not around.

I know I sound like a Apple fanboy, but I'm really trying to find an Android that'll pull me away from the chokehold my 6s Plus has on me. The Note 5 couldn't do it? Maybe the Note 6/7?

I may return the Nexus 6p and may give the Galaxy S7 edge a shot? Still unsure at this point.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you still using an iPhone, too? I've had a 6s Plus since December but really getting the itch to get back to Android. Been looking at the 6P again because I've always preferred the stock experience. But I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.
I actually sold my iPhone and kept the 6p. The 6p is a great phone and definitely recommend it. I think the 6s plus is a great phone. Definitely my favorite iPhone. I just really like where android is and is going.

(Plot twist)

I picked up a s7 edge yesterday. I have not had the Galaxy S line since the S4. I've had every Note since the Note 2. My initial impression is very good. The couple physical things that bother me about the 6p are not issues on the S7 Edge. The power and volume buttons are where I like them as well as the headphones jack. The other thing that's nice is the size. This phone fits in the hand perfectly.

I like them both so I'm not sure what I will use going forward. I can stay that I don't see going back to the iPhone soon.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually sold my iPhone and kept the 6p. The 6p is a great phone and definitely recommend it. I think the 6s plus is a great phone. Definitely my favorite iPhone. I just really like where android is and is going.

(Plot twist)

I picked up a s7 edge yesterday. I have not had the Galaxy S line since the S4. I've had every Note since the Note 2. My initial impression is very good. The couple physical things that bother me about the 6p are not issues on the S7 Edge. The power and volume buttons are where I like them as well as the headphones jack. The other thing that's nice is the size. This phone fits in the hand perfectly.

I like them both so I'm not sure what I will use going forward. I can stay that I don't see going back to the iPhone soon.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm torn as to what I want. I recently got my wife an S7 edge and I'm pretty impressed with it. It's kind of what got this whole ball rolling on getting a new phone. Really started to look into Android again and I'm seeing some pretty impressive stuff. Things that will take years to implement on iOS. And I'm really invested in Google, so switching back wouldn't hurt me one bit. But I'm also trying to slow down the phone purchases, and Android is constantly evolving and new devices are always coming out, so that doesn't help much there.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Ya man. It's tough to let go of the iPhone.

The notifications are just way ahead of Android imo.

Also, I HAVE to have fingerprint scanners on my phones. On iOS, more apps have the fingerprint scanner and iOS is just more polished imo.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post how much I'm used to the toggle switch to mute the sound. I'm so used to this that I miss it when it's not around.

I know I sound like a Apple fanboy, but I'm really trying to find an Android that'll pull me away from the chokehold my 6s Plus has on me. The Note 5 couldn't do it? Maybe the Note 6/7?

I may return the Nexus 6p and may give the Galaxy S7 edge a shot? Still unsure at this point.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm torn as to what I want. I recently got my wife an S7 edge and I'm pretty impressed with it. It's kind of what got this whole ball rolling on getting a new phone. Really started to look into Android again and I'm seeing some pretty impressive stuff. Things that will take years to implement on iOS. And I'm really invested in Google, so switching back wouldn't hurt me one bit. But I'm also trying to slow down the phone purchases, and Android is constantly evolving and new devices are always coming out, so that doesn't help much there.
LMAO I've been going back and forth with Wildo6882 on this. I'm a mess too. I'm typing this out on my 5th 6P using Android N which is amazing!

I've been using iOS for four years now after a two year stint with Android leaving the iPhone in the dust after owning the 3G.

I'm even more in the crapper owning an Apple Watch which I love and I actually don't like what I've seen with Android Wear and the watches just don't interest me.

Also lefty I agree about the iOS apps I feel they're still much better and it's a joke that there's still not that many apps that take advantage of the fingerprint APIs or even utilize Android Pay for that matter.

So for me the only reason I bought the 6P again was to check out N. I'm definitely returning it. But I am looking forward to the new Nexus phones this year.

But unfortunately I still think that I'm not going to be able to fully switch over to Android. If Android Pay came to Android Wear I may consider it but it doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha, glad I'm not alone lol.

People with iPhones are always giving me crap because my messages always come in blue and then green lol.

Imo, iPhone is a better all around phone that checks more of the boxes for my needs....they're just so boring because they work soooo good!

I don't think I will ever "not" have a iPhone close to me because of the "just plain works" mantra.

After all this, I still prefer a Android as my daily driver lol. I seem to like a challenge and do things the hard way lol. Man....I have issues!!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha, glad I'm not alone lol.

People with iPhones are always giving me crap because my messages always come in blue and then green lol.

Imo, iPhone is a better all around phone that checks more of the boxes for my needs....they're just so boring because they work soooo good!

I don't think I will ever "not" have a iPhone close to me because of the "just plain works" mantra.

After all this, I still prefer a Android as my daily driver lol. I seem to like a challenge and do things the hard way lol. Man....I have issues!!
You are definitely not alone. I've had the hardest time giving up the iPhone even though Android fits my usage so much better. It comes down to family and friends using iOS. I have kept it mainly for the that reason. Plus I have had that same "it just works" mantra in my head. The reality is that I have had the same number of issues with my iPhone as my android phones. Very very few in both cases. I sold my 6s plus last week to use the 6p full time. Then an opportunity came up to grab a new S7 Edge for a great price. I took it. I just don't see going back to the iPhone. My family is starting to see that android is not some awful OS filled with issues. Apple has filled people's heads (mine included) with a lot of garbage and it has worked. Both the 6P and the S7 are amazing phones and smooth as any iPhone.

I made a list of what I do with my phone daily and there is not one thing that Apple does better anymore. I'm not saying android does everything better. I'm saying they are equally as good at the things most people do daily. Different ways of getting it done, but both very good.

If I were in the apple ecosystem maybe it would be different but I'm not. I use PC'S and chromebooks. Android just makes sense and my iPhone using family and friends will adjust to me being a different color.

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Lol I just bought my 6p on Friday. I had a lumia 950 and was tired of dealing with the Bull**** that comes with owning a Windows phone. I love the 6p my wife had it since December great phone

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You are definitely not alone. I've had the hardest time giving up the iPhone even though Android fits my usage so much better. It comes down to family and friends using iOS. I have kept it mainly for the that reason. Plus I have had that same "it just works" mantra in my head. The reality is that I have had the same number of issues with my iPhone as my android phones. Very very few in both cases. I sold my 6s plus last week to use the 6p full time. Then an opportunity came up to grab a new S7 Edge for a great price. I took it. I just don't see going back to the iPhone. My family is starting to see that android is not some awful OS filled with issues. Apple has filled people's heads (mine included) with a lot of garbage and it has worked. Both the 6P and the S7 are amazing phones and smooth as any iPhone.

I made a list of what I do with my phone daily and there is not one thing that Apple does better anymore. I'm not saying android does everything better. I'm saying they are equally as good at the things most people do daily. Different ways of getting it done, but both very good.

If I were in the apple ecosystem maybe it would be different but I'm not. I use PC'S and chromebooks. Android just makes sense and my iPhone using family and friends will adjust to me being a different color.

Man, you COMPLETELY summed up my sentiments on iPhone vs. Android. I've had some weird difficulty giving up my iPhone. And it's mostly due to advertising and that "it just works" stuff that gets implanted into our heads. I've had a decent amount of lag, freezes, app crashes, Bluetooth crashes, etc. on my iPhone 6s Plus. I even have a screen shot of my Messages app and keyboard completely freezing the other day with a letter highlighted. I had to reboot the phone to get it to work. My wife HATES Apple, so it's really just my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and my other in-laws that are Apple. So they'll have to deal with me switching. My wife has also had a S6 edge Plus since last fall and it has been rock solid. At least as smooth as my iPhone. The only issue she seemed to have was due to an app conflict. So I can definitely confirm with you that Android has hit that smoothness factor that Apple has long claimed the title for.

I also started looking at what I really do with my iPhone in day to day usage, and I saw nothing that made me think I had to keep it. Everything it does, an Android phone does just as well. And an Android phone does some other things that I love that an iPhone may do in 2020. So for my usage, it makes complete sense to switch back to Android.

And like you, I am NOT in the Apple ecosystem at all. The only iTunes movies I have are the kids Disney movies, which are also in my Google Play Movies, so I'm losing NOTHING. I also use Google Play Music like it's going out of style and have no use for iTunes. Plus I love Chromebooks, and use Windows PCs at work and at home. So basically I'm a Google guy all around, using an iPhone. I think it's time I give Android a fair shake again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali