Stock Messaging app works where others have failed?

theduece02

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
I have been battling with 3rd party messaging apps for over a year with this phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 on Sprint (I know I know). Anyhow, at work, I have great service and can use pretty much any messaging app I want to. At home, where I have little to no service, but great Internet and Wifi I have issues with every 3rd party app except for the stock one. The issue is that when I go to send pictures or group texts they fail. I can do this in the stock app (however sometimes pictures do fail). Anyhow, I've tried several, Textra, Android Messages, Go SMS, and even Facebook Messenger. None of them work. The only difference I see is that the stock app is allowed to make changes to system settings, however none of the 3rd party apps get this permission. Don't know if that's the issue or not, but I just thought I'd put that out there.

Anyhow, if anyone has had a similar issue please let me know. Secondly, I like the stock app except for the following 2 reasons:
1. No notification of a new text while app is open in a current chat
2. No sent sound

I know, but being a former IPhone user this [language redacted by Mod] matters to me. Is there an app, similar to one like Notifier that could run in the background and achieve what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That does seem weird. I use Textra on an S9, and it works great in all situations.

But then, I'm with AT&T.

theduece02

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
And I really like Textra and Android Messages (toss up for me). I had Textra on my S5 and my S7, but ever since I got the 9 it will not work.

theduece02

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
Ok, so I tested it after reset. At work, mind you. I'm afraid none of this will happen once I get home. Anyhow, here's the data.

Android Messages
Wifi- 30s
LTE- 47s

Textra
Wifi- 11s
LTE- 6s

Stock Messaging App
Wifi- 19s
LTE- 17s

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads