Swiping vs TouchType

irmaninsani

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I mostly do my typing by touch, but sometimes I swype too. I like touch better than swype, but maybe it's just I'm not use to swyping

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Most names are in the Swype dictionary, at least common names. Those that aren't are easily added and will remain there for you to Swype in the future.

I prefer Swype myself but SwiftKey is very close behind. Really I could use either. SwiftKey Flow sucks, though. The fact that you have to click on a word just to see other choices from your swipe is stupid, at least Swype lists everything along the to bar right away.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Most names are in the Swype dictionary, at least common names. Those that aren't are easily added and will remain there for you to Swype in the future.

I prefer Swype myself but SwiftKey is very close behind. Really I could use either. SwiftKey Flow sucks, though. The fact that you have to click on a word just to see other choices from your swipe is stupid, at least Swype lists everything along the to bar right away.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
lucky you to have friends named Bill Smith that live on Main Street. I have clients named Reema, Charla, and Mariska that live on streets named Van Ness, Windom and Tilden. :)

Regarding SwiftKey Flow vs Swype, are you saying that the next words pop up while you are Swyping instead of the autocorrect for the word you are swiping?
Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
lucky you to have friends named Bill Smith that live on Main Street. I have clients named Reema, Charla, and Mariska that live on streets named Van Ness, Windom and Tilden. :)

Regarding SwiftKey Flow vs Swype, are you saying that the next words pop up while you are Swyping instead of the autocorrect for the word you are swiping?

Swiftkey lists the next words that it predicts whenever no keys are pressed swiping (swiftkey flowing) or otherwise. During swiping with swiftkey it lists only one word at the top which is the prediction for the current word. During tapping input it lists the word it predicts you are typing in the middle, it lists the word exactly as you are typing it on the left in case you don't want it to autocorrect the word. That way if you choose that word on the left instead of the word you are typing it will add it to the custom dictionary.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the prediction feature that often. I'd rather the keyboard just autocorrected and be done with it. I can type/flow/swipe faster than it takes to find the right prediction.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I own Swiftkey, but have not loaded it since I have Swype on my device. If my device has Swype I will use it... I do type things Swype does not have in it's dictionary.

I am old, but still can learn a few things so Swype is quicker for me to type almost anything... I'm very happy the S4 has Swype installed, but I easily would have loaded Swiftkey for the flow (Swype) capability.

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried flow and don't like it
Swype is best, and it can learn your words/names if you link it to your Gmail and Facebook.

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4... there is none better!

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
In addition, Swype in the play store is way better than the free one that comes with s4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd stick with swift key 100% of the time, if flow was better. It truly is far inferior to swype for swyping. However swiftkey is far superior as a tapping keyboard.

Last edited:

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Update! As soon as I go and praise swype (from market) I look at my gsam battery monitor. Swype caused 20 or so wake locks! Back to swiftkey full time

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I swipe most of the time. I find that it is easier to do with one hand. It is also easier when typing on my desk. I won't even pick my phone up. I can just keep the phone flat and compose messages.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Swype pulls names from your Facebook and Gmail if you enable that. But again, all you have to do is type it out once then hit the "add to dictionary" button. It's very quick and once you do it, you can Swype the name no matter how obscure.

What I was saying about Swype vs Flow is that flow only offers you one word for your swipe, which causes issues if your swipe applies to multiple words or if you were slightly off. For example, if I Swype "it", I also get options for out, our, or, and some others since the gesture is extremely similar. With Swype, I can quickly choose the word I meant to use, but with Flow I have to go back and click on the word to see the other possible choices.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

bencpht

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have both swype and SwiftKey. I allow them both to check my text messages and emails to learn the names I need them to. In currently using SwiftKey but only because I haven't switched back to swype yet. Honestly, which ever is more stable and less of a memory hog will win out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Swype pulls names from your Facebook and Gmail if you enable that. But again, all you have to do is type it out once then hit the "add to dictionary" button. It's very quick and once you do it, you can Swype the name no matter how obscure.

What I was saying about Swype vs Flow is that flow only offers you one word for your swipe, which causes issues if your swipe applies to multiple words or if you were slightly off. For example, if I Swype "it", I also get options for out, our, or, and some others since the gesture is extremely similar. With Swype, I can quickly choose the word I meant to use, but with Flow I have to go back and click on the word to see the other possible choices.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
I might have to check out Swype. I tried it once while it was in beta, but couldn't figure out if you could also type on it. I like their solution to capital letters and punctuation. I just cannot get the hang of it on SwiftKey.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
For those who prefer swiping, which keyboard do you use? I've always used swiftkey for touch typing but with swiftkey flow I kinda prefer the stock keyboard