switch phones days later, able to keep number?

rosyjazz

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I just got my (used) phone for sprint and I am not happy with it. I would like to sell this one and get another one. If I sell first, then get a new phone a few days later, can I still keep my existing number?

Thx!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the phone number is tied to the account rather than the phone, so you shouldn't have any issues with doing that.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is Sprint folks. The Phone number is tied to the devices ESN number and if its an LTE devices its sim.
In order for him to sell it he needs to clear the number and get it off his account. To do that he needs to put his number onto a different phone. So in this case he cant sell it first Then buy a new phone as the old phone will still have the number associated with it and be active on his account.
If it were AT&T or T-Mobile then the references to the SIM card being tied to the account would be more accurate. Although they do (if the rep is doing their job right) also ask for your IMEI number if you are in a store for AT&T or T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is Sprint folks. The Phone number is tied to the devices ESN number and if its an LTE devices its sim.
In order for him to sell it he needs to clear the number and get it off his account. To do that he needs to put his number onto a different phone. So in this case he cant sell it first Then buy a new phone as the old phone will still have the number associated with it and be active on his account.
If it were AT&T or T-Mobile then the references to the SIM card being tied to the account would be more accurate. Although they do (if the rep is doing their job right) also ask for your IMEI number if you are in a store for AT&T or T-Mobile.

Most Sprint phones use SIM cards now.. Just FYI. So simply taking the SIM out makes it so the phone won't connect with his account.

Unless he is using a really old phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't look at the forum trail but at the user's carrier/device when clicking on them and it said Verizon and Droid Razr M, so I thought that was it. Yeah, definitely double check with your carrier to make sure there is no issue from just sim swapping.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't look at the forum trail but at the user's carrier/device when clicking on them and it said Verizon and Droid Razr M, so I thought that was it. Yeah, definitely double check with your carrier to make sure there is no issue from just sim swapping.

Ah yeah I didn't see that either due to using the mobile app :p.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Most Sprint phones use SIM cards now.. Just FYI. So simply taking the SIM out makes it so the phone won't connect with his account.

Unless he is using a really old phone.

Incorrect. Unless its an LTE ONLY device in which case the SIM is the only thing tying it to the account.
ALL current Sprint devices still have ESN based info for 3G CDMA usage. This is still tied to the account along with the SIM card. Sprints system is set up so the ESN and SIM are also tied together.
When a new phone is sold its paired with an ESN / SIM. Thats why on a lot of Sprint LTE devices the SIM is buried in the phone and not user removable. Before i left Sprint for T-Mobile i had a GS3 and EVO LTE. When doing ESN swaps my EVO LTE only had the ESN number tied to my account. Why because Sprint married the ESN and SIM info in the system. SO when i entered the ESN it also had the SIM info for LTE.
Untill Sprint goes away from CDMA there will always be an ESN associated on the account so the phone can use its legacy 3G CDMA network.

rosyjazz

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont want to be w/o a phone so, I am actually waiting until I get my brand new galaxy s3, which doesnt have a sim card btw. So I am quite confused.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your getting a CDMA / Wimax or CDMA only GS3 and your on Sprint then NO it will not have a SIM.
If memory serves me right there were different variants of the GS3, some with and some with out LTE.
Also Sprint did a good job of having the manufacturers hide the SIM internally because they dont want customers removing them. The system ties the ESN and SIM together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell