Switching from Spotify to Google music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geronco

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a spotify user for a while, and I'm thinking about switching to Google Music unlimited. I like the UI and the additional features on the Google service better, and the fact that I can add downloaded files from my computer. Did anyone switch from Spotify to Google music recently? If yes, what do you recommend using to transfer playlists and songs from one service to another? Also, is it a good idea to transfer? Which service is better? Did you have any bad experience after switching?

Thank you :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Spotify before it was even in the US and switched to Google Music and currently paying for both -_-. I tried a program called Portify but it didn't seem to work for me too well but it was new when I tried it. I personally like Google Music better but it kills my data on my phone while using 4G.

geronco

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Spotify before it was even in the US and switched to Google Music and currently paying for both -_-. I tried a program called Portify but it didn't seem to work for me too well but it was new when I tried it. I personally like Google Music better but it kills my data on my phone while using 4G.

Thanks for the reply! Me too I've been a spotify user for ever. Is this Portify program for Mac? I found something like this for Mac and I was thinking about trying it. Also, what do you mean it kills data? Does it consume more data than Spotify? Thanks

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Me too I've been a spotify user for ever. Is this Portify program for Mac? I found something like this for Mac and I was thinking about trying it. Also, what do you mean it kills data? Does it consume more data than Spotify? Thanks

I'm not sure if it works on Mac or not I use windows. As for data it used about ~350mb in a 2 hour period where as spotify used about ~100mb for that amount of time. Since I don't have unlimited and on a shared plan I don't wanna eat up all my data.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

geronco

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it works on Mac or not I use windows. As for data it used about ~350mb in a 2 hour period where as spotify used about ~100mb for that amount of time. Since I don't have unlimited and on a shared plan I don't wanna eat up all my data.

Okay thanks for the input. Yeah this is a deal breaker for me, I'm on Verizon with a data cap, and if it eats up more data than Spotify, I'm sticking with Spotify then. I wonder why it uses more data.

Thanks

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay thanks for the input. Yeah this is a deal breaker for me, I'm on Verizon with a data cap, and if it eats up more data than Spotify, I'm sticking with Spotify then. I wonder why it uses more data.

Thanks

No problem I think the reason it uses so much is it caches the songs. You can turn that off which I did after using that much data but haven't tested it out to see what kind of difference it makes.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both services, but will probably cancel one of them soon.
I like the speed of Spotify. It loads the track faster. If you move the slider to advance the track, it will play almost instantaneously. Google Music always seem to buffer. You also can't search your Playlists using Google Music. I contacted Google asking if they can add that search feature back. It used to be a feature in the old Google Music app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any kind of "family plan" with Google Music?

Me and three other people in my immediate family use Spotify, however if I am streaming at the time and they open Spotify it stops the streaming. The only way around this is for everyone to download their songs and make them available offline...

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there any kind of "family plan" with Google Music?

Me and three other people in my immediate family use Spotify, however if I am streaming at the time and they open Spotify it stops the streaming. The only way around this is for everyone to download their songs and make them available offline...

That's one thing I don't like about Spotify. Google Music allows you to playback on several devices at the same time.
You could allow your family members to log into your account, or you could create an account just for Google Music and you could all have access to that account.

geronco

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
That's one thing I don't like about Spotify. Google Music allows you to playback on several devices at the same time.
You could allow your family members to log into your account, or you could create an account just for Google Music and you could all have access to that account.

How do you go about doing that? That's an interesting feature, I have this problem with my wife all the time

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
How do you go about doing that? That's an interesting feature, I have this problem with my wife all the time

You would have to add your account to her phone. You would then uncheck all of the services that are not needed for that account, such as email, calendar, etc.
If you don't want her reading your email, then this may not be the best option because she could easily go into settings and enable it. Another option would be to create a new Google account, then use that account to share various services. The downside is that if you choose to create a new account for Google Music, it will cost you $9.99/mo. I signed up for mine before June 30th in order to get the $7.99/mo price. Even still, $9.99/mo would still be cheaper than paying $19.98/mo for two accounts.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to thank all of you for this thread!! I just subscribed to Google Play Music, and man, I LOVE the way I get recommendations for artists when I download songs from the 90s. I'm not even done, and I just used up about 2GB just listening to the music (I have it on HIGH and to only stream...no cache....I got unlimited data, so I can do that. [and will!] :D )

Like Spotify, it doesn't have all the songs I wanted, but it has enough. The interface is just so much cleaner than Spotify, and oh, the big thing for me was to listen to music at the same time the wife was listening without bumping each other off! That sealed the deal for me.

Thanks all. :D

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Holy revival of old thread bump Batman!

I'm interested in hearing how that works out. I just started to look into a family type of account with All Access because Spotify isn't great with sharing (I wish either would just charge a discounted rate for additional users or allow a certain number without a charge). From the few things that I have come across so far, it was looking like All Access would function the same (their help section even says that it does the pause when another device starts to play). I have read plenty from folks exclaiming that it is because of the record labels, and getting their money's worth, etc. But it would be really nice if one of them could figure out a Netflix style solution to the streaming music stuff.

D

Bjorn E

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Found this thread searching for news on "family plans" or a "site license" for Google Music Spotify announced today their take on this, with 50% reduction in their Premium prices for family members (up to 4 or 5).

I prefer Google's service, but with 4 kids in the family this tilts the choice seriously in favour of Spotify. Currently I pay for both, which I'd like quit ASAP.

Regards,

Björn

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_Howlett

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
I'm a spotify user for a while, and I'm thinking about switching to Google Music unlimited. I like the UI and the additional features on the Google service better, and the fact that I can add downloaded files from my computer. Did anyone switch from Spotify to Google music recently? If yes, what do you recommend using to transfer playlists and songs from one service to another? Also, is it a good idea to transfer? Which service is better? Did you have any bad experience after switching?

Thank you :)

You can use <removed> for your music transfer. Its a very handy tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos