switching to Verizon

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
right now me and my mom both have the s3 and my nana just has a regular flip phone and not interested in a smart phone. I am either way going to get the S5, that's the one I want.
Hmm, if you are going to get 2 GS5s, then the difference will depend on the discount that T-Mobile may (or may not) give you. If it doesn't though, you may indeed be better off going with Verizon, assuming, again, that you can keep your mom and your mobile data consumption to under 1 GB a month... which might be a tough act, especially if you are going to use your brand new S5s to their full potential.

Meka Mac

May 26, 2013
Visit site
When I was just on the phone with Verizon trying to calculate to see how much the bill would be, after taxes and an estimation on what the verizon fees and surcharges would be is only 4 dollars cheaper than what I am paying with Sprint, with 3 lines and 2gb of data.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
When I was just on the phone with Verizon trying to calculate to see how much the bill would be, after taxes and an estimation on what the verizon fees and surcharges would be is only 4 dollars cheaper than what I am paying with Sprint, with 3 lines and 2gb of data.
Yeah, I wouldn't give up unlimited data to save 4 bucks.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What does this have to do with the specific case here? I'm addressing an individual here on this forum, not some "average customer." The OP asked a specific question and I'm trying to provide a specific suggestion. What the "average" customer wants has nothing to do with this thread. If the OP didn't know about the Nexus 5, I'm letting her know. Unless you have a problem with me presenting that choice, I am not sure what your beef is.

That's false. You do NOT trade it in for no money in return. In fact, you trade it in for a specific sum: the sum equal to whatever is left on your device payments. If your device costs $600 and you have paid off $300 when you trade it in, you are trading it in for $300. The problem with the term 'lease' is that it implies a lack of choice. When you buy a phone on contract, you are free to keep it or trade it in if you want a new device. When you lease a car, you have to return it at the end of the lease period. The leaseholder also gets to dictate how you use a leased car (e.g. x number of miles per year, additional miles charged at y cents per mile), but when you buy a phone on installment, you determine how you use your phone. It's more a mortgage than a lease - except this doesn't cost interest.

Look, I understand that some find it better to pay a contract price and sign a contract. It may even make more sense for certain phones and plans - Verizon, for example, only takes $25 off for using EDGE, but for the top of the line devices, your monthly payment can exceed $30. If those are the devices you want, and you want to stay with your carrier for the foreseeable future, then it may well make sense for you to sign a contract. But this is why putting the cost of phones - at least as an option - is important for informed consumer choice. It may well lead to consumers deciding to purchase lower cost devices rather than devices pumped up with large marketing budgets.

No beef.
Just pointing out that OP seems like the average consumer and even though you are telling her about the N5 and how it could save her money, her situation differs. Differs because she is looking for a cheaper plan overall that she won't pay monthly installments for a device and she doesn't seem to be interested in just doing that for the sake of getting 3 Nexus 5s'.

Then I'm pointing out the obvious; that unless she plans to keep her device past the two year mark, making monthly payments to then go trade it after paying $300+ is not a good deal at all when she can get a cheap plan with a subsidized phone ranging from $1-199, and that's it. No monthly payments. Even then when she wants to sell it, she can even get the money's worth back and then some.

So my suggestion to OP is, stay with the same plan, keep unlimited (although she can switch to a 1gb plan) and save money on a device in the short and long run.

That is all.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So my suggestion to OP is, stay with the same plan, keep unlimited (although she can switch to a 1gb plan) and save money on a device in the short and long run.

That is all.

Posted via Android Central App

If the OP goes down the 1 GB path she will save a ton more by going to framily.... 1 GB on the older plans is a HUGE rip off. They charge to much for it whereas framily it's included.

Dad had a 1500 minute plan with 1 GB (2 lines) and was paying 165 after taxes. Going to framily with just those 2 dropped him to 119 after taxes.

Now he has more in the framily and pays 65 after taxes.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Anyway it would break down I think for 3 phones on Verizon with one gigabyte of data to share would be this. $30 for the data. $40.00 for the two smartphones and $30 for the basic phone. that is not too awful bad I guess but it is not very much data. I personally really like T Mobile their prices and business structure are wonderful. I currently have Verizon and it is indeed very good service. Thank goodness I don't use much data but I have not had any experience as of yet with Sprint only sprint prepaids and the one I had was called boost mobile and I liked it but the sound quality was terrible. When I was using my boost mobile phone and calling someone it sounded like they were in a tin can. I don't know what that is with Sprint or not. I do intend to test sprint and if you can get a good deal with them that might be the way to go. t Mobile is a great company if they have service in your area and remember as another poster said be sure not to go over your data with Verizon as it is $15 if you even barely go over they charge you for the next gigabyte. Also I would get used phones off eBay or Amazon or something because if you upgrade they charge you a 40 dollar upgrade fee plus the phone. You can get a samsung galaxy s4 for $200 right now on Amazon. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do but everybody has to make a decision. Verizon definitely has better service than T Mobile especially in the country but if you are in even a small town T Mobile is worth a shot. I like both and personally with my situation it will not really matter. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are not in a contract on Verizon you will get a $15 discount for each line making it equal to T Mobile. that is just what I have to say. I have heard many good things and many bad things about Sprint but I cannot say for myself one way or another. Also another thing to think about is who would you rather support a big giant company it would be Verizon Wireless or a smaller company like Sprint or T Mobile. if you do not mind me asking have you all been happy with your Sprint service as of now.

Posted via the Android Central App

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree you need to check them both. Tmo may really have a better deal. Remember to they have no overeges and music online does not use data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene