SWYPE 3.0

zombiebot

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So, I downloaded the beta version of swype 3.0. However, when I installed it, nothing really happened. I'm on KB 2.0. Do I need to go into my system files and replace the swype.apk file with the one I just downloaded?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on swype 3.0?

park_timmy

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Wonder if you could rip out the integrated version of swype if you had root access and then install the beta? Or maybe if we are lucky one of the Devs will figure out how to just replace the pre-installed version with the new swype keyborad apk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if you could rip out the integrated version of swype if you had root access and then install the beta? Or maybe if we are lucky one of the Devs will figure out how to just replace the pre-installed version with the new swype keyborad apk

Yes you can. Use Root Explorer (or equivalent), navigate to /system/app and rename swype.apk to swype.bak - then install the beta.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can. Use Root Explorer (or equivalent), navigate to /system/app and rename swype.apk to swype.bak - then install the beta.

You'll also have to remove the lib files as well. Using your root file explorer, search for "swype" and remove/rename each file (backup before doing so just in case!) and then proceed with the beta

ibecker

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've used the Swype betas with the Community ROMs for the last several versions. I do the following:
1) Install "Root Uninstaller" from the market
2) Run "Root Uninstaller"
2a) Click "Swype"
2b) Click "Backup" (Just in case, this will make a backup .apk file you can use to reinstall the current version of Swype.)
2c) Click "Uninstall"
3) Reboot the Fascinate (This seems to be required, or the installation of the new version will fail.)
4) Download the Swype Beta Installer and install the new version of Swype

Following this procedure, I've had no trouble with any version of the Swype beta installing on any version of the ComRom.

I hope this helps!

-Ian

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ibecker. I have had FC issues before if I forgot to change the input method to something other than swype before un-installing. Otherwise this method works great!

The 3.0 is a lot like Flext9 that they had for free on amazon a while back. Unfortunately, this isn't themed, and man it is ugly. hehe. I'll trade function for flaunt though! :cool:

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well we all know that it's only a matter of time before swype 3.xx gets themed by the developer gods. They can make it extra pretty. :D

That would be nice, but don't hold your breath. There are some hurdles to get over.

One, they may not be able to readily get their hands on the .apk for this version of swype (I already tried to extract it), there is no way to get the beta without going through the whole un-install system Swype, Swype-downloader method, which means it might be illegal to distribute.

With that said, I like the way this looks over the Flext9, so I am still running it. : )

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well we all know that it's only a matter of time before swype 3.xx gets themed by the developer gods. They can make it extra pretty. :D

I got mine themed by myself. If you want me to help you out doing the same let me know! If there is a themed swype floating around that you like better I can help you get 3.0 to have the same theme..

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
would anyone know why the old swype thats preinstalled on the phone disabled itself?

It is the version of Swype installed with CommROM. Not the version that came with the phone.

They licensing info was not adjusted to ensure durability of the application. They are aware of it and are working on a patch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia