Synchronization: OUTLOOK

nadz28

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
New to Galaxy s3 was a previous Blackberry user. I use Outlook email and calandar on a daily basis for EVERYTHING business and personal. I was so worried after reading in forums about all the problems ppl were having syncing outlook to the Gs3. I thought OMG, maybe I made a big mistake. Anyway.. I JUST downloaded Kies from the Samsung website, plugged my phone into the laptop and crossed my fingers. It worked!!! :D My calendar and contacts synced beautifully plus I imported some pics to my phone and when I have more time will sync my itunes library.

Pranada

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What Software do you use? I am trying to sync contacts, calendar and notes from Outlook 2007 to Galaxy Note Android 4.0.4 version. I also want to sync music and video.

I can't figure out if Kies syncs Outlook Notes and if so where they are on the android. I spent two days trying to get CompanionLink to work and gave up after hours with tech support. Another three days with Mobisynapse, which synced contacts, but with field mapping problems.

I'm thinking of trying AndroidSync, but don't see enough reviews to make me feel confidant.

I prefer NOT to sync via Google or the cloud.

PCOTTON, will you share what software/process you use?

Kjnangre: How do you get Kies to sync Outlook Note with S-Memo?

Svmtoo: Are you syncing Outlook Notes, too?

thanks for any help. What a nightmare!

Last edited:

visegrip72

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been using MyPhoneExplorer now since I got the S3. Coming from a TP2 and windows active sync, I too was used to everything syncing, without the use of a google cloud based system. I have all google sync turned off and only use myphoneexplorer. Seems a recent update greatly increased sync speed too.
Phone Client
PC Side

stlheadake

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the SG3, and have had it for about a month. I use my work Outlook for contacts and scheduling, but Gmail for email. I have all of my contacts backing up just fine. When I make an appointment on my work calendar (at work) it shows on my phone. However, if I make an appointment on my phone calendar IT DOES NOT SYNC to my work calendar, EVEN WHEN I manually SYNC from the phone. I can't figure out how there is only one way communication.

Prior to my Galaxy 3, I had an HTC Desire with Android 2.?. The sync with Outlook worked flawlessly. Ok maybe this is a dumb question, but why is the G3 so different? With the Desire, I didn't use ANY 3rd party sync apps, it just worked. I THINK I am close because it syncs one way, just not the other. If anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested in trying them....

- - - Updated - - -
edited because I can't figure out how to 'quick' post.

Paulschnit

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
My problem with using the cloud: I have several friends whose contact lists have been stolen and in every case the list was on gmail.
Any thoughts? Am I unnecessarily paranoid?

Paulschnit

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I could live with one-way syncing. I don't know where to learn how to do that.
stlheadake--could you point me to instructions? There are several places on my G3 which say sync or backup or similar but I worry about fouling up my data if I do the wrong one.

Tony_1170

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
My problem with using the cloud: I have several friends whose contact lists have been stolen and in every case the list was on gmail.
Any thoughts? Am I unnecessarily paranoid?

Only hotmail seems to have people breaking in and stealing contact lists, usually because people have very weak passwords or have left a public terminal and not logged off properly.

Ensure you use a minimum of 8 alpha numeric characters with a capital letter and number.

I asked this question to a mate at google, his response "only as secure as the user securing it"

mousr

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Try the following:

1. When you setup your account (on your phone), are the desired sync options (e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc.) enabled for that account?

2. When you create an appointment, you can create for a specific profile (account) if and only if you have multiple calendars (e.g. Hotmail, GMail, IMAP, and exchange).

mousr

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Kies v2. It works just fine with my Galaxy S3; except for the Notes. They do not sync with SMemo; which is quite disappointing.

Other than that. It is fine.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I've revisited this issue and found the following PIMs that sync with Outlook. Still exploring, but here they are with a summary of my findings to date :

- Pocket Informant (full featured PIM, only syncs using their PI on line system)
- DejaOffice syncing using CompanionLink (full featured PIM, syncs using USB but getting odd results from the sync, with records lost and more but it maybe my fumbled installation so testing further)
- Android-sync (semi-full-featured PIM, syncs using USB, lots of positive reviews but have not fully tested the sync)
- VcOrganizer Pro (full featured PIM, syncs using USB, mixed reviews, haven't tested it but will)

I would test the h3ll out of any new PIM as they all handle conflicts differently, some not well, and recurring entries may/may not work. I've also had basic things like new Notes not be synced. You may also wish to consider if you want the data to be mirrored into the native Android Calendar/People apps so it is available for any other apps that use that data. This is a treacherous area to be in!

- R.

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously regretting moving from blackberry. I've got loads of fun features on my S4, lovely screen, super camera, angry birds etc but none of it makes up for the loss of a local sync with outlook calendar/contacts/nots/tasks.

kies syncs all but notes - even though the S4 has s memo. I assume its something political to do with google but whatever the reason, for a top of the range phone this is very poor. I can't send the S4 back now so i'm stuck with it for 2 years contract. I still have my torch so i may be forced back to that. Very disappointed indeed.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I finally settled on VCOrganizer after extensive sync testing. I like it as a product (full PIM), and the Outlook sync, while slow, seems to be solid. It will also keep everything synced into Google People and Calendar apps in the background if you wish.

- R.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm seriously regretting moving from blackberry. I've got loads of fun features on my S4, lovely screen, super camera, angry birds etc but none of it makes up for the loss of a local sync with outlook calendar/contacts/nots/tasks.

kies syncs all but notes - even though the S4 has s memo. I assume its something political to do with google but whatever the reason, for a top of the range phone this is very poor. I can't send the S4 back now so i'm stuck with it for 2 years contract. I still have my torch so i may be forced back to that. Very disappointed indeed.

Huh? the Samsung mail and calendar apps will sync exchange email, events, contacts, and tasks perfectly. If you can't do it at your company, it's either because of the company's exchange policies or because you haven't set it up properly.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Huh? the Samsung mail and calendar apps will sync exchange email, events, contacts, and tasks perfectly. If you can't do it at your company, it's either because of the company's exchange policies or because you haven't set it up properly.

Umm ... Merlin said "all but Notes". Your comment says nothing about Notes. So maybe you need to re-read the post you're replying to before you call someone out.

- R.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Umm ... Merlin said "all but Notes". Your comment says nothing about Notes. So maybe you need to re-read the post you're replying to before you call someone out.

- R.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that meyerweb was addressing this statement from that post: "...but none of it makes up for the loss of a local sync with outlook calendar/contacts/nots/tasks."

His response is appropriate and correct.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that meyerweb was addressing this statement from that post: "...but none of it makes up for the loss of a local sync with outlook calendar/contacts/nots/tasks."

That's possible, but if he'd kept reading the next line said "kies syncs all but notes ". So he wasn't responding to the full post, and if Merlin was looking for a full sync of all the areas involved, then while meyerweb's post was correct, it wasn't appropriate as it did not addresss Merlin's issue.

- R.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Exactly. Thanks. And Rooster, I was correcting the misstatement that the device won't natively sync Outlook, which is completely wrong, and needed to be corrected lest other people believe it and avoid Android or the S4 because of that error.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Thanks. And Rooster, I was correcting the misstatement that the device won't natively sync Outlook, which is completely wrong, and needed to be corrected lest other people believe it and avoid Android or the S4 because of that error.

Hi meyerweb - I appreciate what you're saying. However, I believe it is more correct to say that the device won't natively COMPLETELY sync Outlook, as Notes are not synced.

Sorry to be so picky, but when I was looking for my solution to the Outlook sync issue I went down all kinds of blind alleys because of incomplete information. If someone doesn't care about Notes that's one thing - but if they do, then they need to be aware that is an issue.

It's all good.

- R.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
MyPhoneExplorer syncs Outlook both directions with lots of options. Calendar and contacts to the standard apps. Syncs Outlook notes and tasks to new included apps on phone. Other functions include full ftp access and synced file transfer by scripts and filters. USB, wifi and BT. Been using it for years on two phones--highly recommended.