T-Mobile: Poor LTE Speeds, Southwest of Atlanta

ThackerSS

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I just purchased a new HTC One M8 and was excited to test out the LTE in my area. I had a HSPA+ Galaxy S3 before and had a great signal in my home. I was able to consistently get 21+ Mbps down and 2Mbps up using HSPA+. Once getting the new phone home I was unable to get an LTE signal at all. It would connect... then immediately switch back over to HSPA+. However, over the last day or so the phone has been holding an LTE signal thanks to me forcing it via an app. I am showing anywhere from 3-5 bars with a -90dbm to -105dbm.
My speed tests are terrible. Pings are always under or around 50 which is great, but I am getting anywhere from 2.5 - 5 Mbps down, with similar upload speeds. I drove up the street from my house near the expressway and was on a solid 5 bars at 3am with -85dbm and was still only able to get 8Mbps down and 8Mbps up.
I contacted Tmobile today and they told me that the speeds were acceptable, but they would still have an engineer look into the issue. They did however agree that I should have "excellent LTE coverage" where I am located as I am situated nicely between two LTE towers.

Also of note, I am on an completely unlimited 20$ 4G plan that was offered in late 2012. I feel as if I am almost being throttled... but it's very inconsistent.

Here is a picture from my last speed test. Speeds like this, and then occasional jumps to 6Mbps up and down will happen despite the signal strength maintaining.

http://i.imgur.com/OqR8o7e.png

Any advice / ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Holm

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Poor LTE Speeds, Southwest of Atlanta

My advice would be to go to your settings, and just keep it on HSPA, see how that works for you.

Posted via Android Central App

ThackerSS

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

For now I am doing this... but I can't help but think with 3-4 bars of LTE I should be seeing much better speeds.

I was out to dinner tonight in a town less than 10 minutes away. I ran multiple speed tests and I was averaging 35 down and almost 20 up.... so that proved it wasn't my phone causing the issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ignore the bars. They are counted differently from phone to phone... Depends how the manufacturer makes it calculate to show you bars.

Example.. In my work building I get 1 bar of LTE and get good speeds.... Coworker shows full bars on his s5 and pulls same speed. Both Samsung phones but.. They are way more generous with showing bars on the S5 versus the Note 3.

As you said by the dbm it's just a weak LTE signal. With a weak LTE signal you can expect weak speeds. Simply stick to HSPA as it sounds like you got really really good tests going with that and if it works faster.. Then it's a no brainer really. It will also help your battery life since it sounds like HSPA is way stronger.. So easier for the phone to hold onto the signal. ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ThackerSS

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

Ignore the bars. They are counted differently from phone to phone... Depends how the manufacturer makes it calculate to show you bars.

Example.. In my work building I get 1 bar of LTE and get good speeds.... Coworker shows full bars on his s5 and pulls same speed. Both Samsung phones but.. They are way more generous with showing bars on the S5 versus the Note 3.

As you said by the dbm it's just a weak LTE signal. With a weak LTE signal you can expect weak speeds. Simply stick to HSPA as it sounds like you got really really good tests going with that and if it works faster.. Then it's a no brainer really. It will also help your battery life since it sounds like HSPA is way stronger.. So easier for the phone to hold onto the signal. ;)

The point is.. I am sitting inside a zone that all of Tmobiles coverage maps show having "excellent" LTE coverage... and this was my exact reason for even upgrading my phone from a HSPA to a LTE device. My Older S3 was working just fine.

ThackerSS

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

An update

My new Tmobile nexus 7 got here today.

I ran a speed test on LTE with it, and I was able to get 15 down and 9 up, sitting right next to my phone that was getting 3 down and 2.2 up.

The difference in reception for these two devices is insane. Is it possible theres an issue with my account or should I just chalk this up to differences in the devices?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The point is.. I am sitting inside a zone that all of Tmobiles coverage maps show having "excellent" LTE coverage... and this was my exact reason for even upgrading my phone from a HSPA to a LTE device. My Older S3 was working just fine.

You should never.. Ever.. Trust carrier maps for an accurate display of how well it will be. They use these maps to say you will get signal there.. Or you won't. So in this case it says you will.. You get LTE.. So they aren't lying but it just isn't as strong as you'd like. I've been on 3 out of the 4 major carriers and usually their maps don't match my real world tests.

Sensorly.com is user submitted data.. So real world.. Real people usage. I trust this versus a carrier map anyday.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

An update

My new Tmobile nexus 7 got here today.

I ran a speed test on LTE with it, and I was able to get 15 down and 9 up, sitting right next to my phone that was getting 3 down and 2.2 up.

The difference in reception for these two devices is insane. Is it possible theres an issue with my account or should I just chalk this up to differences in the devices?

It could be a difference from the radio or baseband I believe... Although that is drastic. How is the signal strength on both when sitting in the same location?