T-Mobile vs. Unlocked

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the opportunity of getting a Samsung Note 20 Ultra from either T-Mobile or Unlocked and would like to know the advantages and disadvantages for each. I am not interested in flashing my phone (please don't kick me out of this forum) and I don't travel internationally as much as I once did (but who does these days), but despite this I am still intrigued by an unlocked phone. However, I have heard that the unlocked T-Mobile does not support RCS chat, even when the unlocked model is bought from T-Mobile. Any truth to the rumors and what do all guys know and recommend?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No unlocked version on t-mobile doesn't have rcs but like mentioned by Mike, Google messages has rcs.
The unlocked version is clean look from carrier models, no carrier bloat and splash screen logo .

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
No unlocked version on t-mobile doesn't have rcs but like mentioned by Mike, Google messages has rcs.
The unlocked version is clean look from carrier models, no carrier bloat and splash screen logo .
It's working with my unlocked on T-Mobile using stock Samsung messages.

Edit. I guess its not. I don't have the chat feature but I do get the blue or green icons depending on who I send a message to.

But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something.
70839f8be009a2d3ad003a233a1feec8.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Edit. I guess its not. I don't have the chat feature but I do get the blue or green icons depending on who I send a message to.

But the chat feature isn't supported on unlocked T-Mobile using Google messenger either unless I'm missing something.
It works on Tmobile because I communicate with someone on it who has Tmobile.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It does work , maybe give a little time to kick in

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It does work , maybe give a little time to kick in
Yeah....even on Verizon there is sometimes a delay especially if it's the first time you try to use the SIM with Google messages. Case in point when I tossed the work SIM from my iphone into the S20U. I thought at first it was disabled my company, than a couple of days later it was there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah....even on Verizon there is sometimes a delay especially if it's the first time you try to use the SIM with Google messages. Case in point when I tossed the work SIM from my iphone into the S20U. I thought at first it was disabled my company, than a couple of days later it was there.
Yeah they will be a little delay and should work

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

It works on my unlocked Pixel 4 on T-Mobile using Google Messages. I seem to recall, as others have mentioned, that it was not switched on instantly and that it took some time to take effect. I don't remember how long the wait was.

chat features.png

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Make sure you have the latest version of carrier services installed or updated through the Play Store. That is an integral part of RCS functionality.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I heard sprint works on the unlocked which is strange as the others don't.

Honestly, I am not shocked. One of the things I LOVE about Sprint is that they don't nickel and dime you for every little feature and try to give things to everyone on their network.

Now that we are a part of T-Mobile? Meh, so far, so good, at least on the Sprint side of the house. :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, I am not shocked. One of the things I LOVE about Sprint is that they don't nickel and dime you for every little feature and try to give things to everyone on their network.

Now that we are a part of T-Mobile? Meh, so far, so good, at least on the Sprint side of the house. :D
Glad your having good experience with the merger . As a Tmobile customer I've been pretty happy

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad your having good experience with the merger . As a Tmobile customer I've been pretty happy

Many Many years ago, I worked for T-Mobile Corporate (Bellevue, WA and was there when they moved to Bothell, WA) and really loved it there. Was a contract role, so was only there a bit over a year, but it was fun! I was there when the G1 was still being tested and through the release. Was also there when Cyanogen created his first ROM for it. Was asked by the higher-ups to root/mod one of our Test G1's to see what he did and get into the inner workings and see what we could do better.

Fun times back then! :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Many Many years ago, I worked for T-Mobile Corporate (Bellevue, WA and was there when they moved to Bothell, WA) and really loved it there. Was a contract role, so was only there a bit over a year, but it was fun! I was there when the G1 was still being tested and through the release. Was also there when Cyanogen created his first ROM for it. Was asked by the higher-ups to root/mod one of our Test G1's to see what he did and get into the inner workings and see what we could do better.

Fun times back then! :D
Wow pretty cool
Those were the good times, rooting and messing around with different Rom .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillPlayGames