T-Mobile wifi calling possible on unlocked S7 Edge?

msatlas

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935U). My carrier is Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO). I recently got a new office at work, and the Verizon coverage in this part of the building is terrible. I use wifi for data but calling basically doesn't work at all.

I've been looking at other networks, and I'm leaning toward T-Mobile or MetroPCS, one of the reasons being they have wifi calling and the wifi at my office is plenty fast. I checked in settings to see the wifi calling option, but when I go to settings > connections > more connection settings, which is where the wifi calling setting is supposed to be, there's nothing about wifi calling.

I had a thought that maybe the wifi calling option isn't there because my current carrier doesn't support wifi calling, so I contact Samsung support. I asked if I get a SIM from a carrier that supports wifi calling, would the wifi calling option be enabled. They said that unlocked phones don't support wifi calling at all.

This confuses me, because this thread mentions some people were able to use wifi calling on an unlocked S7 Edge. But that thread is older, so maybe for some reason wifi calling was removed from the unlocked S7 Edge with the Nougat update?

I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to get a T-Mobile or MetroPCS SIM and see what happens. But is anyone able to shed some light on if this is even worth trying? I suppose it's also worth trying out just to see if regular cellular calling on T-Mobile might be fine at my new desk, but hopefully there's some way to do wifi calling.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's factory-unlocked, it should (you'd get an update from T-Mo when you insert the SIM card and the option would be enabled). However, if the phone has a Verizon or TW ROM, I'm not sure. Verizon phones are unlocked, but they still have Verizon ROMs, so not sure if WiFi calling for other carriers would be enabled or not.

msatlas

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Phone is factory unlocked with a Total Wireless BYOD SIM.

The two things I'd want to confirm with T-Mobile are whether it works for making calls at my office, and if there's coverage in my most-frequently used grocery store.

I know the grocery store sounds silly but I'm the primary grocery shopper in my house and I use a grocery list app plus often text my wife thru Hangouts. When I was on AT&T there was no signal in that store and I had to use their super awful wifi.

msatlas

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I took a gamble and switched over to T-Mobile. When I put in the T-Mobile SIM, I got a "reconfiguring for new features of this SIM card" message and wifi calling is now active. So I can confirm that the unlocked S7 Edge does work on T-Mobile wifi calling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia