Tab 10.1 Keyboard Dock

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just searched bestbuy.com and was surprised to see they had the Samsung keyboard dock for the 10.1 available. I ordered it and it was available for in-store pickup! So, I will be making the trip to my local Best Buy today to get it. It was pricey ($79.00)! I'll post feedback on the device later.

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked it up yesterday... Very solid.

The problem is that the tablet can't keep up with even average speed typing.

The keyboard is really frustrating because of this. Mine is likely going back.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I picked it up yesterday... Very solid.

The problem is that the tablet can't keep up with even average speed typing.

The keyboard is really frustrating because of this. Mine is likely going back.

Is it able to keep up with typing speed in memo & document apps, or perhaps an email app?
I'm sure it will be slow in the browser, because that's a Honeycomb issue at the moment.

jwwws

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree. . . the typing speed (for a quicker typer) definitely lacks. For me, however, I think I'll keep it since it's a life saver for an email intensive occupation. :p

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it able to keep up with typing speed in memo & document apps, or perhaps an email app?
I'm sure it will be slow in the browser, because that's a Honeycomb issue at the moment.
It lags in all areas when typing.

Email it couldn't keep up.

Evernote it couldn't keep up.

Ande Quickoffice documents have the same problem. I think it is a tablet-wide problem unfortunately.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I have mine and am typing on it with little lag (actually the AC Mobile Forums are a little laggy). However, I did have difficulty getting the Tablet to recognize the keypad. The instruction manual says set to Samsung Keypad, but I find the input method that works for me is English (US) Keyboard (Android Keyboard). My only other issue is, even though I can still use the physical the Andriod virtual keypad pops up when I start typing and I have to push a buttonn to hide it. Kind of annoying and I will see if there are any settings I can change to prevent this. But if anyone has any tips, they would be appreciated.

Aside from that, I like it a lot. They have a home key, recent apps key, back key, voice search key, etc. Hooking the Tab into the dock at my local Barnes and Noble got a lot of oohs and ahhs from patrons. Definitely an attention grabber.

jared1333

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I wondered if there was something to prevent the virtual keyboard from coming up and defaulting to the physical keyboard also. I haven't purchased one yet but I really want to. It runs off the tablet correct? And there still is a charging/HDMI/Usb pin connector on the side right?

LaTuFu#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you order it from the samsung site and use the GOOGLEIO2011 coupon code you can get it for $50ish.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I wondered if there was something to prevent the virtual keyboard from coming up and defaulting to the physical keyboard also. I haven't purchased one yet but I really want to. It runs off the tablet correct? And there still is a charging/HDMI/Usb pin connector on the side right?

I called Samsung's tech support department this evening and they said right now there is no way to disable the virtual keyboard from popping up, especially if you tap the screen. Hopefully, this will be corrected in an upgrade.

Yes, there is still a charging port on the keyboard dock. There is also speaker line out jack.

Despite a few of the shortcomings, if you are typing a lot of e-mail, in my opinion, it is definitely worth getting this accessory.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had it for a few days and I have only experienced lag inside the browser. There is always a slight lag when you first use it but if you have it connected for a minute or so and start to use it, it works flawlessly. I love the keyboard and I must say it works and is worth the money if you email alot or type alot. Plus it works as a good stand.

Reactions: jared1333

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I like my stand as well. It does suck on some forums tho. Backspaces delete two characters instead of one and sometimes it lags so bad letters come out in a different order from what you have typed. Buggy as hell basically. We will see if they get around to fixing it eventually. It's horribly annoying right now. Not sure how long I'll keep it at this rate.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for some reason i was typing in all caps for awhile, but now it seems kinda ok. The caps light was jumpin on and off for a bit too. Now all seems well. Wait, it just undocked itself and now it is back on. OK this thing has a ton of bugs. Hope they fix them soon!

Last edited:

RandomMarius

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had my keyboard dock now for a few days, and about half the time when I connect it, it does not recognize the keyboard. It senses the dock (as the dock screen clock comes up), but the keyboard does not work.

I've tried unplugging and replugging the tab into the dock repeatedly to no avail. Only after powering the tab off and back on does it seem to work again.

(Although powering up seems to result in a samsung sync service crash message, which does not seem to affect anything much else.)

Another issue is that the "Mail" button seems intent on bringing up "Corporate Mail" instead of my GMail account. And I don't even have corporate email configured.

souja67

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo from my Motorola Atrix and it doesn't seem to lag at all. I would consider myself a pretty quick typer. Sounds strange that a bluetooth keyboard would be more responsive than a keyboard that is connected directly to the tab. Hopefully Samsung fixes the issue with the keyboard.

FYI: When hooking up a mouse you get a little blue mouse cursor to navigate throughout honeycomb. I had no idea about this until I connected the bluetooth mouse to my tab. It's awesome!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had my keyboard dock now for a few days, and about half the time when I connect it, it does not recognize the keyboard. It senses the dock (as the dock screen clock comes up), but the keyboard does not work.

I've tried unplugging and replugging the tab into the dock repeatedly to no avail. Only after powering the tab off and back on does it seem to work again.

(Although powering up seems to result in a samsung sync service crash message, which does not seem to affect anything much else.)

Another issue is that the "Mail" button seems intent on bringing up "Corporate Mail" instead of my GMail account. And I don't even have corporate email configured.

Initially, I was having the same problem with the keyboard dock, but now it seems to detect it and work immediately without having to do a restart. I've been using it quite a bit these past few days (on the road and have not had any reason to power up my laptop - all work is being done on the Tab.)

As far as the email button issue, I spoke with Samsung Level 3 support about this on Friday and they were going to look into in and call me yesterday about it. No call..no surprise. Hoping we can uncover a fix for it at some point. It would also be great to not have the virtual keyboard popup every time you touch the screen. Maybe a bluetooth mouse will solve the problem?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo from my Motorola Atrix and it doesn't seem to lag at all. I would consider myself a pretty quick typer. Sounds strange that a bluetooth keyboard would be more responsive than a keyboard that is connected directly to the tab. Hopefully Samsung fixes the issue with the keyboard.

FYI: When hooking up a mouse you get a little blue mouse cursor to navigate throughout honeycomb. I had no idea about this until I connected the bluetooth mouse to my tab. It's awesome!

Do you have a link where I can purchase one?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

thanks for this. didn't even think about using bluetooth keyboard, especially mouse. cool.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Anyone having trouble with the keyboard? We've had it a month now and tried using it off and on, with some success at times. At others, for no apparent reason, the onscreen keyboard will pop up from time to time, or instead of entering text, it'll enter shortcuts or skip around fields. Last night, when we popped the Tab into it, it showed a huge clock instead of the home screen, and you had to play around a bit to get to the home page, but the keyboard wouldn't operate at all. Tried it a few times and no change, never recognized it other than the bells plugging it in and out. Just wondering if we have a bad keyboard or if some updates are still in the wings to make it work properly.