Tab- S8 Ultra with Book Cover Keyboard Not Working

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I just got my Tab S8 Ultra last night. I went through and transferred information over from my old Tab S4 with Smart Switch. I then went through the process of updating the OS, then updated all of the apps. So far so good I then put the book cover with keyboard and I could not get it to work.

I found this video and tried that to no avail. I did see an update for Samsung Keyboard in the Galaxy Store and did that also.
video

Am I missing something to get it to work? I gave up and plugged it in to get fully charged and will see what happens tonight after work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the cover in another tablet (maybe go to a BestBuy or somewhere they may have the tablet on display)? Are you sure the pins are aligning correctly and are not blocked/dirty on either the tablet or keyboard side? When you attach it to the tablet, do you see any indication that the keyboard is recognized? Do you have any tablet covers that may be interfering with the pins making full contact, being aligned properly, etc.?

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried the cover in another tablet (maybe go to a BestBuy or somewhere they may have the tablet on display)? Are you sure the pins are aligning correctly and are not blocked/dirty on either the tablet or keyboard side? When you attach it to the tablet, do you see any indication that the keyboard is recognized? Do you have any tablet covers that may be interfering with the pins making full contact, being aligned properly, etc.?

I can swing by my local Best Buy and see if I can test on their display model. I believe the pins are aligning properly buy I will check when I get home, it does have a nice solid "SNICK" when the magnetic attaching happens. I have the option to auto start Dex when keyboard is connected, I will turn that off and see what happens. As for covers it is the official book cover with the keyboard from Samsung and no screen protector. I will verify all of this tonight.

With everything being new out of the box last night does not having a full charge have any effect? I personally do not think so but not sure with new technology nowadays.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't affect the keyboard and it should start working as soon as it 'clicks' (moving the mouse or typing anything should have an effect). I don't think there's a toggle to disable external keyboard or the cover, but I don't have my tablet with me to confirm. I do have some history as to why I suggest checking it with another tablet because I had that issue with the S6 and a keyboard cover that was DOA.

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I ended up doing a return. I could not get it to work. When they receive the cover and I get credited I order my replacement. Sucks they will not send a replacement and make me return it then order another one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that does suck depending on how the order was processed (especially if you got the original item at a discount or a sale that is no longer running).

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I ended up having to return the tablet. I went to Best Buy to test my keyboard cover with their floor model and it worked. I then tried their floor model keyboard with my tablet and the keyboard was non responsive. Looks like a got a bad tablet. Just waiting to get confirmation of them getting the tablet back and my refund so I can try again.

Reactions: SpookDroid

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Just got my email that my return was accepted so I just ordered my new tablet yesterday. Should be here on the 17th. Fingers crossed that this one works.

Reactions: SpookDroid

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I was having an issue with my Tab 8+. None of the letter keys would work. The tablet did detect the keyboard just fine, but nothing was typing. After several times removing and adding the keyboard, the keystrokes that I made earlier, finally took.

I looked at everything like everyone else, but found nothing.

Last resort that worked, I did a All Settings Reset function. This will only reset your settings only. All your apps and data stays intact. BOYAAA! That worked. Of course, I had to adjust the settings back to the way it was before, but it was worth it to see my keyboard working again.

Reactions: bill-e