Tab 4 8.0

kmcclen

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
No error message, I just hit forget and login and it aquire the correct IP address. If I don't use my tablet for awhile and leave it connected it will aquire the same address.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I might be wrong, but I think the router will assign a local IP address to a newly connected device -- but that local IP address doesn't necessary stay associated with that device. The specific local IP address that's assigned shouldn't matter, as long as there are enough addresses to accommodate all of the devices connected to the network.
@Rukbat could probably shed more light on this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what do you mean by "wrong" IP address? Is it an address from your router? If it is then, as B. Diddy said, the router is assigning an IP address to the tablet, and it's the next one available. So if you connect after someone else does, you might get 192.168.1.6. The next time, that other person isn't connected, so you get 192.168.1.5.

If you mean the external address, make sure you're connecting to your router, not someone else's with the same name. (The only way the tablet knows which router it's connecting to is the router's name, the SSID. And there's no preventing a neighbor from using the same SSID as you do. (Routers usually come with the manufacturer's name as the SSID. If you don't change that, your neighbor doesn't, and you both have routers made by the same manufacturer ... you could easily connect to the wrong router.)

If it's something else, spell it out (and put my name into the post, so I'll get notified that you addressed something to me).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So your home wi-fi router's address is 10.0.0.1? Are you certain you're connecting to that network, and not (as Rukbat was wondering) someone else's network?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily, if it's a completely open network without a password. This is never advisable, but not everyone pays attention to the security of their home wi-fi network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao