Tab S3, S2, or A for a child or something else

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Looking at getting an Android tablet for my daughter for Christmas. She's going to be turning 7 soon as well. Her school uses and recommends a lot of apps for reading and learning beyond their normal school work and she has to use a tablet or a phone for those. I don't let her use my phone and my wife doesn't let her use her tablet very often and sometimes she has it with her so it's not always at home. We want to get her something she can use whenever she wants, but specifically for school related activities and something we can control very tightly.

I'm trying to weigh cost and risk vs. usability here. I considered getting her a kids Amazon Fire, but I used to have a Kindle HD and it was junk within a year or two. Not to mention, not all of the apps she needs are even on the Amazon store. So I need a full Android tablet. My wife has an S2 and likes it. I've also considered the Tab A in addition to the S2 and the S3. So, the question is, do I get something slightly older, a lot cheaper, and less up to date or do I get her the latest and greatest?

I know what the S2 is capable of and the S3 is an improvement upon that. Is the Tab A still a capable device or should I not even consider it? It's extremely reasonably priced and seems to be more capable than an Amazon tablet, but I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the S2 and S3.

Now, she is a child so there's some risk involved with buying an expensive electronic device. I understand that, which is why I'm also looking at the cheaper option. She treats my wife's tablet and computer fairly well when she's allowed to use them, but some extra insurance would be nice. Are there any decent bumper cases available for the Tab A, S2, or S3? What about screen protectors? Do any of them feature parental controls that the others are lacking? What about multiple user login? Is that a general Android feature or is it limited to specific devices or versions of Android?

Are there any other Android tablets anyone recommends I look into?\

Thanks in advance!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S3 is fairly expensive, but it does come with an S Pen which will let her draw on it and use coloring apps better. I feel she'll enjoy it more.

Another option is the S2 and then buy a separate active stylus. It would be pretty close IMO.

As for the Tab A, it would probably depend on which version of the Tab A we're talking about.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, chanchan05. I'd probably be looking at the 9.7 of the S2 or S3 and the 10.1 Tab A, which I believe you can also get with an S pen. I'd either get her one with an S pen or an active stylus like you suggested.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't know any children that age I would hand a $600 tablet to, especially one with a glass back. So that eliminates the S3 in my opinion.

The newest version of the Tab A has a mid range CPU, it's probably more powerful than the CPU used in the original version if the Tab S2 (Samsung updated the CPU in 2016 for a refreshed version). Although having less storage and RAM it has a version with the S Pen and a much friendlier price.

Personally if it was my kid and my money, they wouldn't get anything more than a Tab A, it will offer plenty of performance for educational apps without costing a fortune.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize the S3 had a glass back, but that could be helped by a rugged bumper case. I was kind of leaning towards the Tab A as an option just because of the price. The only reason I would have considered S3 was that I might use it as well. It just so happens that Samsung just announced a new 8" version of the Tab A that will be available on November 1 so I'll give that one a look.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000