Take Nexus back to store or send to Google?

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE #1 Much better upon exchange. I've detailed the differences below.

Please note I'm not nearly as concerned with the bleeding light I filmed this in extreme darkness only to better film the ripple effect.

I was so excited. My wife got me the 16GB model from a local Walmart and I open it up, get started using it and notice some distortion on the bottom left side. I later hold it gently, not pressing down on purpose, and the entire left side ripples.

My fear is that Walmart got a bad batch and I'm going to swap it for another one with the same problem. Is it better to just contact Google/Asus and get a newer one?

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would first goto walmart and get a replacement it is highly unlikely all they have are effected. If the same is wrong then goto Google.

Reactions: DizWhiz

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I would first goto walmart and get a replacement it is highly unlikely all they have are effected. If the same is wrong then goto Google.

Thanks will do that tomorrow and hopefully I get a better one.

Also just to make sure mine is "bad" and not the norm I shot a quick video to highlight the backlight bleeding and ripples. Please note I'm barely applying pressure here:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llbodsXmOSE[/YT]

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
That don't look normal to me. Mine does not do that.

Thanks for replying again. The bleeding isn't a huge issue (it looks way worse in the dark with 100% brightness obviously) but yeah if I touch anywhere on the left side it does that crazy rippling effect as if I was applying 200lbs of pressure.

Looks like I'm packing her up and taking her back tomorrow.

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying again. The bleeding isn't a huge issue (it looks way worse in the dark with 100% brightness obviously) but yeah if I touch anywhere on the left side it does that crazy rippling effect as if I was applying 200lbs of pressure.

You sure you are not applying a lot of pressure. I can take any tablet and with enough pressure can get that ripple effect.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the light bleeding on that one is a bit on the extreme side. All have A little light bleed however.

The backlight bleeding is actually the lesser of my concerns but yeah it's still pretty bad on dark areas even on lighter colors.

You sure you are not applying a lot of pressure. I can take any tablet and with enough pressure can get that ripple effect.

Pinky swear. Just running my finger along the edge can cause the rippling. I intentionally set it on my lap (just realized I did a second video where I having it laying on my hand sorry) and just gently pressed with my finger to show I'm not death gripping it from both sides or anything. What really concerned me was that with a little pressure it doesn't just do the normal ripple along the outline of your finger the effect can spread about an inch inward and outward from the point of pressure.

Any LCD device will ripple with enough pressure (even my Hox if I grip it too tightly along the edges of the screen) but I've never seen this behavior before.

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

You've tested it the extreme way no doubt. I suggest testing it under normal conditions which is probably what asus's QC did. If you use it in a well lit environment most of the time its probably not a big deal. I'd return it however. I've returned 9 thus far and there isn't a perfect one out there with no light bleed. So I'm on my tenth one which has the same normal Barely visible light bleed on the left side at 100 percent brightness in a pitch black room only noticeable on a black screen.

Kind of unfair though because who is in a pitch black room all day staring at a black screen that is set at 100 percent brightness...lol

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You've tested it the extreme way no doubt. I suggest testing it under normal conditions which is probably what asus's QC did. If you use it in a well lit environment most of the time its probably not a big deal. I'd return it however. I've returned 9 thus far and there isn't a perfect one out there with no light bleed. So I'm on my tenth one which has the same normal Barely visible light bleed on the left side at 100 percent brightness in a pitch black room only noticeable on a black screen.

Kind of unfair though because who is in a pitch black room all day staring at a black screen that is set at 100 percent brightness...lol

Wow 9?! That doesn't make me feel better!:eek:

I should have noted that I full expect light bleed in total darkness/100% brightness but my main concern was the ripple. It's quite noticeable on anything but pure white but it doesn't translate well on camera. That's why I did the black out filming the ripple effect is really easy to see.

I've added a disclaimer in the OP.

djhgdfkg

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
First, I think you should go back to Walmart, ask them to find ways to solve the problem, in fact, you can advice them to send it back to Ausu and ask them to send you a new one!

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely take it back to wal mart, and exchange it. They have a 15 day period for exchanging tablets. I wouldn't spend too much money, then wait for google to send a replacement unless that was the place I bought it from.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely take it back to wal mart, and exchange it. They have a 15 day period for exchanging tablets. I wouldn't spend too much money, then wait for google to send a replacement unless that was the place I bought it from.

Thanks. I think my initial thought was "Send it to Google they probably will ship me a newer device" rather than another first run sitting in a warehouse etc.

I'm taking it back sometime today. I'll post after I've checked out the replacement. Fingers crossed right?

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Success!

Phew! Took it back and after the most tedious exchange ever I got a better piece of Nexus 7 hardware.

I was initially upset because there was a visible vertical lighter band on the left side of the screen that seems to have gone away after leaving it on for a bit. So to wrap it up:

1. Yes the left side is slightly lifted compared to the rest of the device, and has a little bit of play, but if this stays this way and doesn't detach on me I'm fine.

2. Nearly 0 backlight bleeding compared to the first one. I even cranked it up to 100% on a black image and it was barely noticeable.

3. Ripple/distortion is much, much better. While it's still easier to make happen along the left side than the right it takes more than gently touch to cause it to happen.

For $250 I don't expect perfection but this (as of 40 minutes of owning it) is much improved. Hoping it stays this way! Thanks again for all the comments.

headamp

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, if you didn't buy it from Google, you'll have to take it back to the retailer if you're within 15 days. I went through something similar - Google is just another retailer from their point of view. I ended up returning mine to Staples and ordering from Google.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hengwin