Taskbar, really samsung

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are wanting the taskbar and use a third party launcher, kiss the taskbar goodbye. So if you don't want to leave your third party launcher and the taskbar is a main reason to get a fold 4, I would say pass on the fold 4.

Samsung is getting way to much like apple anymore. There's no reason that I can think of to force the taskbar to stock launcher. I'm surprised they don't require the stock launcher for edge panels to work.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are wanting the taskbar and use a third party launcher, kiss the taskbar goodbye. So if you don't want to leave your third party launcher and the taskbar is a main reason to get a fold 4, I would say pass on the fold 4.

Samsung is getting way to much like apple anymore. There's no reason that I can think of to force the taskbar to stock launcher. I'm surprised they don't require the stock launcher for edge panels to work.

Yeah, I disable it. Long press the bar.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

You cant add buttons from Good lock either. They show up on the small display but not the inside display.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the fold so I could be wrong but wouldn't it be up to the app developer to get that feature working within their custom launcher?

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So who buys a Fold 4 just to throw on a regular mobile launcher?

Don't know about you but I bought a folding phone so I can see Samsung's interpretation of what a folding device should be like. If I wanted a regular mobile experience I would have stuck with a candy bar phone.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the fold so I could be wrong but wouldn't it be up to the app developer to get that feature working within their custom launcher?
Sometimes it is up to the developer and sometimes it's locked down and developer can't use it. I don't know about the taskbar. I personally think taskbar could have been handled like edge panels, they work on everything.

They pushed the taskbar feature as did most reviewers that got samples for reviewing and I didn't see any say it only works with stock launcher, I'm sure there were some that did say it, I just didn't run across them.

I'm just letting others know just in case this is a big deal to them. I would have liked to known, just didn't come up in my big circle of reviewers. I had a feeling that Samsung would do this, but I also had hope that they would treat it as they did with the edge panels. You were able to pin an edge panel on the side before so it wasn't a far stretch to think taskbar would be treated similar. It's not a deal breaker for me, just a disappointment.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So who buys a Fold 4 just to throw on a regular mobile launcher?

Don't know about you but I bought a folding phone so I can see Samsung's interpretation of what a folding device should be like. If I wanted a regular mobile experience I would have stuck with a candy bar phone.
Well I would say the stock launcher is a regular mobile launcher, I have so much more customization with Nova. Me not getting to use taskbar isn't as big of a deal as with what I would lose from not using Nova. That's the nice thing about Android, choices, customization, we can all have what we want. what we consider a regular launcher can be different.

I can say if Samsung wants to push folding phones and what they can offer then don't lock features down that can be used as phone software not launcher based, like the edges. It shouldn't matter what launcher you use. We were able to pin a edge panel to the side, now we can't, as we got the taskbar in it's place, better right, but Samsung failed to make widely known it requires stock launcher.

So yes, I bought my third folding phone to see what a folding phone can offer, I was somewhat interested in the taskbar, so that's my disappointment in the lockdown, Samsung didn't implement the taskbar to the fullest potential of the fold.

As I've said, I was just letting people know taskbar requires stock launcher as I never came across it in all my videos and reading, I'm sure it's out there, just didn't come across my screen. Some might like to know a advertised feature is launcher based and not phone software.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
So yes, I bought my third folding phone to see what a folding phone can offer, I was somewhat interested in the taskbar, so that's my disappointment in the lockdown, Samsung didn't implement the taskbar to the fullest potential of the fold.

I personally like both OneUI and the taskbar. But right now I have the taskbar set to hide (animations are dope)… I like having the option to use taskbar or edge panel whenever needed.

I agree that there might be more customization with Nova… but Samsung has done well using Good Lock to provide ways to customize OneUI.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I personally like both OneUI and the taskbar. But right now I have the taskbar set to hide (animations are dope)… I like having the option to use taskbar or edge panel whenever needed.

I agree that there might be more customization with Nova… but Samsung has done well using Good Lock to provide ways to customize OneUI.
We are missing the point... Samsung did not need to make taskbar launcher dependent. Why gimp the fold experience by something like locking an advertised feature to stock launcher.

I agree, stock launcher has come a long ways. I may try it later, but for speeding up set up process I stayed with Nova for now. Nova isn't supporting folding devices now so I'll be looking sooner or later anyway. It's just small things I like with Nova, such as so drawer can scroll continuously, it's alphabetical, I haven't seen it that's done on stock. If Nova was still supporting folding devices I know the taskbar feature would come to Nova either using the Samsung one or making their own.

SO QUESTION... Can you have the app drawer list in alphabetical order? I don't see anything in the settings. This is probably number one reason I don't like stock.

Nevermind..I found it. It was not in settings. I'll look more into stock later when I have time to set it up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We are missing the point... Samsung did not need to make taskbar launcher dependent. Why gimp the fold experience by something like locking an advertised feature to stock launcher.

I agree, stock launcher has come a long ways. I may try it later, but for speeding up set up process I stayed with Nova for now. Nova isn't supporting folding devices now so I'll be looking sooner or later anyway. It's just small things I like with Nova, such as so drawer can scroll continuously, it's alphabetical, I haven't seen it that's done on stock. If Nova was still supporting folding devices I know the taskbar feature would come to Nova either using the Samsung one or making their own.

SO QUESTION... Can you have the app drawer list in alphabetical order? I don't see anything in the settings. This is probably number one reason I don't like stock.

Nevermind..I found it. It was not in settings. I'll look more into stock later when I have time to set it up.
Use Samsung Good lock app , home up module to change the app drawer to vertical if u want and still keep stock launcher

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Use Samsung Good lock app , home up module to change the app drawer to vertical if u want and still keep stock launcher
I'll look at it, but from what I've seen that stays displayed all the time. I liked how taskerbar did not stay displayed all the time and it followed the recent apps you used.

I think I might give stock launcher a try, as I said Nova says they aren't going to support folding phones so I'll have to do something eventually.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll look at it, but from what I've seen that stays displayed all the time. I liked how taskerbar did not stay displayed all the time and it followed the recent apps you used.

I think I might give stock launcher a try, as I said Nova says they aren't going to support folding phones so I'll have to do something eventually.
Yeah Nova isn't by the looks of it , but give it a try for app drawer good lock

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Nova isn't by the looks of it , but give it a try for app drawer good lock
I just set up stock launcher. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I will give stock thumbs up for setting folders up. That was so much easier then doing it thru Nova. Start the folder and then just start selecting the apps you want in the folder.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

I understand your point. But judging from their perspective they put quite a bit of time implementing Good Lock and all the modules that come with it to help a user customize OneUI… why would they go out there way to make the taskbar compatible with other launchers?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just set up stock launcher. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I will give stock thumbs up for setting folders up. That was so much easier then doing it thru Nova. Start the folder and then just start selecting the apps you want in the folder.
Youll like good lock for folder size grid

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point. But judging from their perspective they put quite a bit of time implementing Good Lock and all the modules that come with it to help a user customize OneUI… why would they go out there way to make the taskbar compatible with other launchers?
Why would they go out of their way to make it only work on stock? This could be a simple phone software installed on the phone. Remember, people are with Android for choices, otherwise might as well go with iPhone. Just my thoughts.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Why would they go out of their way to make it only work on stock? This could be a simple phone software installed on the phone. Remember, people are with Android for choices, otherwise might as well go with iPhone. Just my thoughts.

I totally understand from your perspective. And if Samsung hadn’t done much with Good Lock whereas I was unable to customize OneUI as much as I want. Then I’ll absolutely try for a different launcher.

I wanted the ability to change icons, which other launchers had for years. Samsung recently gave us the option (back in OneUI 3.1.1 I think) and Apple doesn’t give that level of customization.