The camera tinting problems on all HTC Ones?

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My HTC One was given to me back in Dec 2013. I started noticing the pink tint in January. I want to call HTC but I don't think I'll get anywhere. My phone doesn't have warranty. I don't have any receipts or anything. I'd have to get a third-party to fix the camera.

you can get it fixed by HTC, but you'll have to pay for the repair im pretty sure. I don't see how it's not under warranty, the HTC ONE is not a year old yet, so you should be able to get a warranty repair without receipts. I didn't send in receipts for my repair.

TexanSaint

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I received my phone back after 11 days and here are the results after the camera module and upper board were replaced:
1. I can no longer take pictures of checks through my Chase bank app unless I place a halogen light about 10 inches above the check and even then it's not consistent. ( i never had problems before in any light setting) I spoke with three tiers of customer service at Chase until finally speaking with a developer. Their consensus was it was a hardware issue. .
2. While filming video the video changes tint from bluish to yellow. This occurs even while both the subject and the camera are not moving and the light is consistent.
3. When playing videos from the highlight folder, the videos flash nightmarish light schemes that the HTC rep assumed was the normal effects provided when you choose various songs for your highlight videos. I offered to send screenshot and was told there was no way they could receive them.
4. I also have experienced several phone calls where the sound was so garbled I could not determine what the other person was saying. (previously not a problem)

HTC has sent a prepaid label so that I can return the phone again but I decided to call ATT before I send it off. Because the phone is still in warranty they are sending me a refurbished replacement free of charge. Can any one tell me if they have had problems with refurbs? I worry the phone may have been built when the faulty camera was still being used and it may fail after 4 months of use like the first one did which would then put me out of warranty.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I received my phone back after 11 days and here are the results after the camera module and upper board were replaced:
1. I can no longer take pictures of checks through my Chase bank app unless I place a halogen light about 10 inches above the check and even then it's not consistent. ( i never had problems before in any light setting) I spoke with three tiers of customer service at Chase until finally speaking with a developer. Their consensus was it was a hardware issue. .
2. While filming video the video changes tint from bluish to yellow. This occurs even while both the subject and the camera are not moving and the light is consistent.
3. When playing videos from the highlight folder, the videos flash nightmarish light schemes that the HTC rep assumed was the normal effects provided when you choose various songs for your highlight videos. I offered to send screenshot and was told there was no way they could receive them.
4. I also have experienced several phone calls where the sound was so garbled I could not determine what the other person was saying. (previously not a problem)

HTC has sent a prepaid label so that I can return the phone again but I decided to call ATT before I send it off. Because the phone is still in warranty they are sending me a refurbished replacement free of charge. Can any one tell me if they have had problems with refurbs? I worry the phone may have been built when the faulty camera was still being used and it may fail after 4 months of use like the first one did which would then put me out of warranty.

I would send it back to HTC for repair.

DLRussell

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I received my new HTC One yesterday. I tried the camera and it seems I got lucky, because the pictures came out great, even in low light. However, I tried to use the Chase Mobile App to deposit a check and I could not get a picture. It "clicked" but the screen was black. I used my old Galaxy Nexus to deposit the check and it worked fine. I then tried to deposit a check using US Bank mobile app on my HTC One, and it worked perfectly. So, in my case, I am leaning toward it being some software compatability issue with the Chase mobile app. I will have to wait for future updates to see if the problem disappears.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My HTC One was given to me back in Dec 2013. I started noticing the pink tint in January. I want to call HTC but I don't think I'll get anywhere. My phone doesn't have warranty. I don't have any receipts or anything. I'd have to get a third-party to fix the camera.
I can't imagine you would need anything to invoke the warranty: it's a one-year warranty and they haven't been selling the device that long. There's no way any HTC One out there is out of the manufactures warranty.

TexanSaint

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I resent the phone and included copies of the distorted images and details of the other issues. On Tuesday Feb 18th, they received the phone, repaired it and shipped it all in one day. I received the phone on Weds and so far so good. My photos look great, I can now make deposits with the camera in my bank app and the highlight videos are perfect.
If I had to guess, I would say they attempted a repair the first time and did not replace the camera module. With the last repair, my phone was not even scanned into their system until four days after it was verified as received via USPS tracking. Maybe they were out of camera modules?
I wasted a ridiculous amount of time communicating with at&t, HTC and Chase mobile developers all because of a Manufacturer defect that HTC should have immediately acknowledged and rectified. I'm happy with my HTC One but pretty disgusted with HTC.