The gorilla glass on the S8 scratches very easily

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Corning purposely made Gorilla Glass 5 slightly softer to make it more shatter resistant. Harder glass is more brittle and breaks easier. It's pretty much the same way metal works. For a knife to hold its edge it needs to be hard, however if you make the blade to hard, it is easier to break. There is always a trade off.

That's why I have a liquid glass screen protecter and a case. I'm clumsy and I have dropped my phone a few times already. With one time it landing on its display.

TrevorK12

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Ah, lovely. So they're basically catering to people that are accident prone, and screwing those of us who take care of our things.

Corning purposely made Gorilla Glass 5 slightly softer to make it more shatter resistant. Harder glass is more brittle and breaks easier. It's pretty much the same way metal works. For a knife to hold its edge it needs to be hard, however if you make the blade to hard, it is easier to break. There is always a trade off.

That's why I have a liquid glass screen protecter and a case. I'm clumsy and I have dropped my phone a few times already. With one time it landing on its display.

I owned the S5 for 3 years and used a screen protector for the 1st. In two years of pretty rough use with no case I never got more than a slight scratch on my phone from one drop. I've had my S8+ for roughly 3 months now and I already have a scratch larger than the one on my previous S5.

It really is a shame we get screwed as people who take care of their phones and do not drop them. It doesn't make sense that they would sacrifice the scratch resistance to increase the shatter resistance meanwhile the slightest drop would scratch the thing to oblivion. Why would they sell something that requires a screen protector to protect against such gentle use?

cgfw201

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there a quick fix which actually works to fix these little scratches?

I've got a couple on my HTC U11 which also uses Gorilla Glass 5. Got phone day before Glastonbury, at some point in the madness I picked them up. Incredibly minor, can live with them but a bit annoying.

Just gave the baking soda + water paste thing a whirl which google suggests, not done anything...

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather deal with a messy scratched screen protector on my phone knowing that the glass is safe. I'll ensure any degradation of screen quality of it means my device can be kept in like new condition.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
when i looked at the display models at at&t they had scratches on them even being tethered down to a table, i despise screen protectors so im going to chance it as i usually keep a phone for about a year before i get bored with it

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The mixed experiences in this thread have me a bit worried. I've owned about a dozen different smartphones going back to 2010, never used a screen protector, and rarely had any noticeable scratches from daily use. Hearing that people who are careful have some scratches within weeks or months makes me concerned. My S8 order arrives Monday and I definitely have no plans to apply a screen protector. If I had a choice I'd rather it be scratch resistant than a bit more shatter resistant. If I notice anything extreme or concerning during my return period, it may be getting sent back to Samsung.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The mixed experiences in this thread have me a bit worried. I've owned about a dozen different smartphones going back to 2010, never used a screen protector, and rarely had any noticeable scratches from daily use. Hearing that people who are careful have some scratches within weeks or months makes me concerned. My S8 order arrives Monday and I definitely have no plans to apply a screen protector. If I had a choice I'd rather it be scratch resistant than a bit more shatter resistant. If I notice anything extreme or concerning during my return period, it may be getting sent back to Samsung.
I'll give you a bit of hope. I haven't been treating mine as gentle as I should and still have no scratches at all. It's been covered in dust, pocketed while dusty and dropped a few items on it. I'm surprisingly impressed with the screen at this point.

Last year my s7 edge was scratched in 2 days. It made me so mad I sold it for a massive loss and bought another one. That one went in a otterbox defender.

Jobbels 1

Dec 18, 2016
Visit site
I litteraly moved my s8 very softly over the edge of a dull restaurant table... have some scratches on the botom....
The edges of my otterbox edge didnt touch the screen so its kinda on my. I used my s5 for over 3 years without even a scratch front or back... It sucks is a screen replacement cheap? PS: My English is **** so sorry.

fatimaaaa

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
I've had every Note since the Note 2, as well as an S7 Edge, and never had scratching problems either. This phone is different

my Note 8 is simply scratched in different places.
I use my smartphone very carefully and has never been in the vicinity of the key, or pointed objects.:-X:-X:-X:(:(:(

Terost

Sep 8, 2018
Visit site
Even the new phones have the stronger glass, l always use a screen protector and hard case.
my Note 8 is simply scratched in different places.
I use my smartphone very carefully and has never been in the vicinity of the key, or pointed objects.:-X:-X:-X:(:(:(