The gorilla glass on the S8 scratches very easily

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
are they deep scratches or spider web type scratches... maybe its not the glass but the oleophobic coating wearing. Looking at the S8 screen it just seems soooo glossy compared to a G6 screen and I wonder if they coat the heck on the S8 glass or wondered if the G6 has ANY coating on it.
They're pretty light scratches

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Like I mentioned above, Corning wanted the glass to be more shatter resistant and by default that means it has to be softer. Softer glass means more scratch prone.
Ah, lovely. So they're basically catering to people that are accident prone, and screwing those of us who take care of our things.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If this glass scratches so easily, wouldn't we all have several scratches on our screens?
Just depends if you have a tiny spec of sand or whatever in your pocket, apparently. Consider yourself lucky, but when it happens and you get a nice scratch, followed by another a short time after, you can think of me ;)

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
After going through a few of them, use the Tech Armor case friendly tempered glass. First one that's held on for more than a few minutes - so far, so good after almost a week on my S8+ with a Spigen case.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a Note 7 since launch day. Never had these problems with scratching
Go search the note 7 forums, same complaint will be found. I had the note 7 and now the s8 plus and I have no problems with scratching with either one. As someone said after me, looks to be softer glass. Crossing my fingers I don't fall victim to the scratches a lot are.

gim0

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I bought this phone literally a week ago and today I noticed a small scratch on my screen as well. I am very careful with my phone, I put it in the official LED case right after I unboxed it. With all that I am pretty pissed off and disappointed with Gorilla Glass, it should be much more scratch resistant, at least to the point that you can be actually sure that if you treat your phone responsibly you don't get a scratch after a week..

Last edited:

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
left front pocket is designated for my phone, nothing else goes in that pocket.

Yes, thank you. HELLO. Where are people getting all these scratches from? My guess is they put their phone in a pocket with other things in there, which is a huge mistake. Or in a purse jangling around with all sorts of other things. One pocket for the phone and only the phone. It's always been like this for me, even with much cheaper phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear (well, read) about your scratches. I agree, some screen protectors - especially the plastic film ones - do mess with your display and even its quality.

Keith929

May 10, 2017
Visit site
The glass sucks. I bet they did this so you want a new phone sooner. If I wasn't such a dork there was no reason to upgrade my scratch free s7 edge.

The screen is effectively not any bigger.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Never believed Gorilla's claims. At the end of this day it's GLASS it will get scratch which I will I always put screen protectors.

Base on luck sometimes.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, thank you. HELLO. Where are people getting all these scratches from? My guess is they put their phone in a pocket with other things in there, which is a huge mistake. Or in a purse jangling around with all sorts of other things. One pocket for the phone and only the phone. It's always been like this for me, even with much cheaper phones.
Wrong. Go back and read what myself and others have said

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
this is so disheartening, but not surprising - gorilla glass is pure marketing. we have iris scanners, BT than can pair to multiple devices, wireless charging, submergible phones but a scratch prone screen after all these years.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
this is so disheartening, but not surprising - gorilla glass is pure marketing. we have iris scanners, BT than can pair to multiple devices, wireless charging, submergible phones but a scratch prone screen after all these years.

Never had this problem or concern with the old flip phones. Maybe we should go back to that lol. Or better yet, flip smart phones. Samsung is well on it's way to innovating that.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
the problem with corning is that they have a monopoly on all mobile screens and so they even need apple to subsidize them (read encourage them) to up their product. they are laughing all the way to the bank with 0 incentive to produce quality screens.

Mark Anthony Ojales

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
That's really strange. Using my S8+ for about a week now. No cases / No screen protectors. Always naked. And it's still like a new without any dots or scratches from both sides. Well, same as you I'm very careful with the phone. Never in the pocket with the keys (well, sometimes with coins). May be i'm just lucky? BTW was really pissed off when noticed few visible scratches on my brand new S7 after few days I bought it last year. But that's a different story.

My S7 Edge now (2 mos old) also got scratches in its first 2 weeks with me being so careful with my devices. I hate to admit that Gorilla Glass on S7 edge is not reliable. But I will still use my phone with no covers or glass protector.
And just last night, I playing and got it bumped with my keyboard (plastic keyboard) and the phone got scratches. The phone just slipped from my hand (like 3 inches above my keyboard). I hate it and it breaks my heart that it is so easily getting scratches. But the phone is still great so I won't throw it away. Still better than those previous Galaxy phones I've ever had.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Like it's already been said that Gorilla Glass seems to be all marketing. The earlier versions like GG3 and earlier seemed much less scratch prone and more durable in that sense.

I wish they'd move to sapphire glass on these phones. From everything I've read it seems more durable, but one drawback is that I do think it's more expensive to manufacture which is likely a cost that will be floated back to the consumers.

I'd advise anyone with these devices to be smart and use a case.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm one month in with my s8 so far no noticeable scratches on it (i'm aware i might get micro ones later down the road) i don't ever use screen protectors and i really mean NEVER lolz

Then again never had any issues doing it that way.....

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I got lucky... I dropped mine and it did a twirl then landed on the face (I have a Spigen case) but it was okay. I was so scared lol.

Mine took a dive from a fumble, landed on the corner, bounced, and landed face down on a concrete floor, then skidded a couple of feet. Supcase Unicorn Beetle series case took it all in stride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia