The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
It seems it's a random issue and csn happen to any LG phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Didn't happen to my Nexus 5. I don't recall hearing of this with the G3. If that were the case and could happen to and LG device, I could only guess they changed providers, regarding parts. Is that you assuming, or did you actually read something?

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's from what I see online of course may not apply to all of them but currently it's a risk I wouldn't take. Seems to be a issue with the g4. Not worth buying at this moment.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
It's from what I see online of course may not apply to all of them but currently it's a risk I wouldn't take. Seems to be a issue with the g4. Not worth buying at this moment.

Just wondering. I guess you can see my confusion when you said "any LG phone"? Got me curious if you had read something we hadn't.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No only the g4 could have bought a g4 nib for 200 nit no receipt scared me. I plan on leaving sprint so I didn't want to deal with any issues. Phone breaks and I'm fighting sprint for a repair. I never had a LG phone so I can't throw them all under the bus but it seems the g4 has qa issues not worth risking right now. I dislike my m9 but not worth selling it for a troublesome phone.

Guatiao

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Add mine to the list. S/N 505. VZW. What pissed me off is my SD card went bad the other day. Got a warranty replacement for that, but am now wondering if the two are connected.

At least VZW acknowledged its a phone issue and didn't turn it in against my insurance. Booting up my old Galaxy S4. Glad I held onto it...

In my case it did not seem related to my SD card, it was not affected by the bootloop issue in any way. Still using it.

kevin sewell

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I went though 5 G4s in 6 months. Everything would be fine and they would all of a sudden start bootlooping.

AT&T kinda of messed me over and offered me a refurb Nexus 6 as a replacement phone. I don't like having to get an older phone but I do like that I get regular updates through the nexus program

Guatiao

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I went though 5 G4s in 6 months. Everything would be fine and they would all of a sudden start bootlooping.

AT&T kinda of messed me over and offered me a refurb Nexus 6 as a replacement phone. I don't like having to get an older phone but I do like that I get regular updates through the nexus program

Whoa, that's the first "extreme" case of bootlooping G4s I read about! Didi you send all phones to LG for repairs? or did they send you a replacement in any of the instances?

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, my Verizon G4 just did the boot loop on me. Checked under the battery and s/n does begin with 505. Manufactured 05/2015 and I got it last July. This is the only problem I've had with this phone and I still think its one of the best designed phone I've ever had. Verizon is sending out a new one. Fortunately, I kept my old Samsung S4 which we reactivated. Hope the new one doesnt have this problem. FWIW, the phone died while I was using Google maps and on my way to a real estate settlement . No phone, no maps and I didn't know where I was going. A kindly cab driver gave me directions. How's that for bad timing?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, the phone died while I was using Google maps and on my way to a real estate settlement . No phone, no maps and I didn't know where I was going. A kindly cab driver gave me directions. How's that for bad timing?

Glass half full or half empty? Sounds like it was good timing to run into the kindly cab driver! 😉

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
UK user, my phone has been fine until today then out of nowhere I've got the boot loop issue, tried factory reset and it just freezes, appears to be bricked, not happy, it's only 11 months old

Scott Pam

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Last night the phone was just sitting on the snack table next to me when I noticed it was on. I keep it on silent after hours...so I picked it up and it was BURNING hot.

Pulled the back off, took the battery out and waited for it to cool. Put the battery in about 45 minutes later and it's stuck in the bootloop.

After I posted this on Facebook, two OTHER people had the exact same issue with the G4 in different parts of the country and on different carriers.

The AT&T store said that the phone had corrupted it's own ROM and other software and needed to be flashed by LG. Great.

I am back on an iPhone 4 until the replacement gets here.

While my replacement is on the way, I am concerned that some part of the phone is not up to snuff.

I am betting that there is one supplier of a set of chips that has the problem. I wonder when LG will admit to this issue.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, it seems I just fell victim to this as well.

I wish I was eligible for an upgrade so I could just get another phone (non-G4).

S/N starts with 507...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems I just fell victim to this as well.

I wish I was eligible for an upgrade so I could just get another phone (non-G4).

S/N starts with 507...
You could try selling the replacement and use that to help fund for the next phone purchase if you have a backup phone.

The G4's resale value isn't really high, though. In fact, you're not gonna get much out of it, but something is better than nothing, right?

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You could try selling the replacement and use that to help fund for the next phone purchase if you have a backup phone.

The G4's resale value isn't really high, though. In fact, you're not gonna get much out of it, but something is better than nothing, right?

Possibly. I think VZW will give like $150 or something like that on trade-ins.

The freezer trick worked for a bit, but wouldn't keep. Now that I pulled it out after turning on in the freezer, it's sort of working - I've at least been able to send my photos up to my Box account and it's doing an LG backup right now (as long as I keep the back of it off).

It just sucks, because I still owe $320 on the damn thing and this is the second time I've replaced it.

Hopefully VZW will replace it since it's a manufacturer defect.

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It just sucks, because I still owe $320 on the damn thing and this is the second time I've replaced it.

Hopefully VZW will replace it since it's a manufacturer defect.

Have you tried sending it in for warranty repair (to LG) instead of having vzw replace it? Most likely your replacements have not been fixed so you're sitting on a ticking time bomb wait for the boot loop to happen again.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
At this point I'm under the impression that this bootloop will happen to everyone eventually. Happened to me and now it happened to my girlfriend twice. This is absolutely insane in this day and age that this is even remotely acceptable. The fact that they offer to fix it without any compensation for their horrendous product management and you're pretty much stuck without a phone for up to a month [language]

As I previously stated this will be my last experience with LG ever. I actually hope their business takes a hit off of this madness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guatiao

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
At this point I'm under the impression that this bootloop will happen to everyone eventually. Happened to me and now it happened to my girlfriend twice. This is absolutely insane in this day and age that this is even remotely acceptable. The fact that they offer to fix it without any compensation for their horrendous product management and you're pretty much stuck without a phone for up to a month [language]

As I previously stated this will be my last experience with LG ever. I actually hope their business takes a hit off of this madness.

Do you mind me asking about your girlfriend's phone? Was it repaired both times, was it the same phone, or a replacement unit? Thanks for your reply.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Do you mind me asking about your girlfriend's phone? Was it repaired both times, was it the same phone, or a replacement unit? Thanks for your reply.

The phone wasn't repaired. They sent her a refurb. Regardless, if your a manufacturer in probably the most competitive market in electronics and you completely botched your flagship device, then the logical step would be to offer a free brand new replacement, not have the customer send the phone back and wait without a phone to fix an issue that their negligence cause. Absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
At this point I'm under the impression that this bootloop will happen to everyone eventually. Happened to me and now it happened to my girlfriend twice. This is absolutely insane in this day and age that this is even remotely acceptable. The fact that they offer to fix it without any compensation for their horrendous product management and you're pretty much stuck without a phone for up to a month[language]

You may believe that it will happen to all G4's but that doesn't mean you are correct. Well over 1,000.000 G4's in the "bad" range. If a very small % go bad that's enough to make it a known issue. I know some people that have early G4's and none have bootlooped. Not yet anyway. I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to LG but I'd really like to know how widespread the problem really is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo