The Pixel is a nice looking phone but I prefer the Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgrsnpr

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Priv owner here that just upgraded to the pixel.

I have to say I'm pretty excited with this phone. I do miss the physical keyboard.

When I saw the pixel coming out I put the two phones side by side and it wasn't enough to push me to the pixel. Weeks went by and I was in best buy and messed around with the pixel and fell in love.

It's just speedier and slicker. Not sure battery is any better but the one thing I love with the pixel and loved with the priv is getting updates as they come out. The pixel is going to be better with that in the long run.

Overall I haven't looked back and that's a bold statement considering this is my first smartphone outside BlackBerry.

Battery life is definitely a lot better and it doesn't get as hot as it did with the Priv.

bonnie100th

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I went to best buy store today. looks like the stores are getting major makeup and now google has huge section with pixel phones.
anyways I want to say that pixel screen is not much better than on a year old priv, android 7.0 looks like rip off bb10 and pixel itself is very nice looking phone but it is total rip off of iPhone. I envy camera on pixel because blackberry priv camera is just ok. I love priv keyboard though long live physical keyboard !

Then keep your Priv. We will report to Google to improve the next Pixel version to be up to your standards:)

bonnie100th

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
of course you could type on your phone for 4 days I am just saying it would be much more difficult

I do not say it is iPhone. I am saying it looks like iPhone. it is more locked in without SD card. just like iPhone

All you need is a Priv and I Phone, that will cover your expectations, for us a single Pixel phone will do the job:D

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
From what I've seen of a friend's PRIV and my Pixel, if they put the newer guts (SD821 / 4GB RAM) in the Pixel and were better at keeping software up to date (and forcing Verizon to not hold back updates), it would be a downright great phone. Kinda like a thicker Pixel XL with a physical keyboard. If they could shrink it to 5.2" or so, that would be even better...

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I was a dedicated Blackberry handset owner for 15 years. I don't think anything will ever replace the BB Q10. But the priv was the last straw for me it was far from the greatest phone I've ever owned, the PKB was so small as to be insulting, updates from VZ where non-existent, and the honest reality today is that Blackberry just can't be trusted anymore. Throw in a phone with square sharp Corners that catches on everything and anything and it's a no-brainer. The pixel is without a doubt the coolest phone I've ever owned. The things the Beast anything I throw at it it just does it smoothly. I was seriously in doubt about buying a Google phone because basically I do not trust Google either. But I have to admit they sold me.

citystars41

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
it does not get hot anymore.updates fixed this issue

You're right but every now and then I would still feel it when it was under a lot of pressure. GPS with it would heat it up pretty quickly but nothing like the launch days. I think 7.1.1 is definitely helping the pixel stay cool.

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I had a Priv as well, Verizon still hasn't released the November update. I'm fine with my Pixel which is current with December, not to mention Nougat. Also liking the speed (so far).

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow I thought Pixel is going to take over the world and everyone will drop their iPhones and Galaxy phones for the Pixel.
I am sure this is google ultimate goal....
anyhow the phone is very nice I just do not get it why google with all its resources cannot come up with something more unique.

priv sold badly but not because priv was a bad phone but because blackberry has bad reputation now.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am sure this is google ultimate goal....
anyhow the phone is very nice I just do not get it why google with all its resources cannot come up with something more unique.

priv sold badly but not because priv was a bad phone but because blackberry has bad reputation now.
Ultimate goal yes but not going to happen anytime soon. Pixel is the first phone they are pushing heavily from marketing perspective and it'll take a few generations to gain mass adoption. Anyone who thought Pixel is going to outsell iPhones and Samsung phones just doesn't get it. Making a good phone is one part, but marketing, brand, pricing, distribution and various other factors go into making it a global hit and having mass adoption.

If anyone can do it it's Google because they are awesome and with proper focus on Pixel brand they can have success in years to come.

citystars41

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't call it a bad phone, it's just BlackBerry always has issues with marketing. You can't last a few commerical breaks without seeing a pixel ad. Blackberry was pretty reliable with updates, it was more the carrier's that lacked updates.

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a bad phone, it's just BlackBerry always has issues with marketing. You can't last a few commerical breaks without seeing a pixel ad. Blackberry was pretty reliable with updates, it was more the carrier's that lacked updates.

The biggest thing is people think Blackberry is out of business. But also they have moved more to software.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing is people think Blackberry is out of business. But also they have moved more to software.
Well BB telling everyone they're out and suggesting that they won't support their own devices while new ones are still rumored to riding the pipeline does make for a confusing conversation.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree. blackberry is long gone as major player but I have to I enjoy priv with keyboard and android tremendously. it is highly productive phone with blackberry hub and other blackberry tweaks. it is also one of the most secure android phones. to this day no blackberry is bulletproof from hacking.

blackberry takes way more risks than google. google should come out with more radical designs.

otherwise pixel phones will always be in iPhone shadow

48c3566acf6acba69b550b11eee60bcc.jpg

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Disclaimer: I use iPhone 6s for work, BlackBerry Passport on WIFI as a mini tablet, and traded an iPhone 7 for a Pixel. I also have used the 7 Plus and Pixel XL but like a smaller phone.

IMHO...Pixel versus iPhone 7 or PRIV...Pixel wins out in almost every way. The competition gets much closer when comparing 7 Plus to Pixel XL.

Nougat 7.1.1 is as smooth as it gets. Everyone with an iPhone wants more screen space...the Pixel put the fingerprint scanner on the back and it works super fast.

So to me personally. The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are great phones but there is absolutely no shadow to be in. It's not a fair comparison.

Time and time again you have to bring up that Apple iPhone is only manufacturer with iOS. Where as Android manufacturers must complete with themselves from from low-end to Flagships. So while there maybe more iPhones sold that Pixels, Android continues to outsell iOS.

Lastly, the gap only closed cause of the Note 7 debacle...once that next gen device is out, iPhone sales will lower.

The good news is options are great! It's great to hear others opinions and maybe learn and try something new. I stayed away from Android for long time. Tried PRIV, no go. DTEK50...didn't like BBRY and Android integration. So tried Android alone and am very happy. And I don't miss my iPhone cause I use a 6s for work everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001