The Pixel is a nice looking phone but I prefer the Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree. blackberry is long gone as major player but I have to I enjoy priv with keyboard and android tremendously. it is highly productive phone with blackberry hub and other blackberry tweaks. it is also one of the most secure android phones. to this day no blackberry is bulletproof from hacking.

blackberry takes way more risks than google. google should come out with more radical designs.

otherwise pixel phones will always be in iPhone shadow

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161211/48c3566acf6acba69b550b11eee60bcc.jpg

I wouldn't say a major player anymore. Maybe a couple of years ago but now a days I rarely (if ever) see a BB phone. Even BB gave up and made a phone under Android just to attempt to get sales and that didn't work.

The design isn't risk taking .. That design is the same old design from the 90s. Screen, physical keyboard, done. Rinse / repeat.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I went to best buy store today. looks like the stores are getting major makeup and now google has huge section with pixel phones.
anyways I want to say that pixel screen is not much better than on a year old priv, android 7.0 looks like rip off bb10 and pixel itself is very nice looking phone but it is total rip off of iPhone. I envy camera on pixel because blackberry priv camera is just ok. I love priv keyboard though long live physical keyboard !

The Priv was the worst phone I used in 2015. The worst. I don't even know why it was made.

But, to each his/her own.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The Priv was the worst phone I used in 2015. The worst. I don't even know why it was made.

Superficially your correct.
Take security into account and your totally wrong.
My wife likes baseball teams based on uniform color.
So eye of beholder enters into conversation, as you have stated.
Me, while not a Priv owner, I kinda get it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Superficially your correct.
Take security into account and your totally wrong.
My wife likes baseball teams based on uniform color.
So eye of beholder enters into conversation, as you have stated.
Me, while not a Priv owner, I kinda get it.

I definitely get that some users find security to be very important, and I'm one of them, but I think it is a mistake to believe that Blackberry Android devices are ahead of anything else on security if security is a priority for other devices. To elaborate, with the DTEK50 we kinda found out that almost all of the advertised security features were things that come with using a snapdragon processor (out of the box) or come as default settings in Android, etc. BB does do some extra work on the kernel, at least according to them, and they do look the bootloader up tight - but for anyone that just doesn't unlock the bootloader or jailbreak, there do not seem to be any meaningful differences in the inherent security between a S7, iPhone 7 and DTEK50 in terms of security. Then throw in the Pixels, which are more secure than the other three just listed because of updates on Nougat, again, so long as the user decides not to unlock the bootloader.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

let us know why ? I am curious to see how you can support your statement ?

I use priv mostly for work myself. I like this phone because

1. Blackberry left stock android almost untouched
2. Few enhancements blackberry made to Android are highly useful
- popup widgets
- blackberry hub
3. blackberry virtual keyboard is one of the best
4. physical keyboard with scrolling / swiping capability is useful
5. combination physical / virtual keyboard works great and makes typing efficient, fast with very little error
6. beautiful to look at, high resolution,vibrant screen
7. loud speaker great for long phone conversation between
8. hardware and software security enhancements not found on any other devices

now let me know why this is the worst phone you tried in 2010.

one thing I know if this was phone released by Samsung under note brand it would be called phone of a year and would sell tons

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I definitely get that some users find security to be very important, and I'm one of them, but I think it is a mistake to believe that Blackberry Android devices are ahead of anything else on security if security is a priority for other devices. To elaborate, with the DTEK50 we kinda found out that almost all of the advertised security features were things that come with using a snapdragon processor (out of the box) or come as default settings in Android, etc. BB does do some extra work on the kernel, at least according to them, and they do look the bootloader up tight - but for anyone that just doesn't unlock the bootloader or jailbreak, there do not seem to be any meaningful differences in the inherent security between a S7, iPhone 7 and DTEK50 in terms of security. Then throw in the Pixels, which are more secure than the other three just listed because of updates on Nougat, again, so long as the user decides not to unlock the bootloader.

blackberry has HARDWARE security features. not just software.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Please try to elaborate on what you believe that means.

Security features for*PRIV*by*BlackBerry

PRIV*by*BlackBerry*is a professional and secure device that brings the security features of*BlackBerry*to the*Android OS. The following table summarizes many of the security features available with*PRIV*managed by*BES12.

Feature

Description

Layered defense

Security is built into every layer of the device, including the hardware, firmware, OS, and secure communications and collaboration apps, resulting in a layered defense approach that brings*Android*to a new level of security. Every area of the device works together to protect the privacy, integrity, and confidentiality of your apps and data.

Hardware Root of Trust

A hardware-based root of trust is established during processor manufacturing by injecting cryptographic material that's later used for device authentication and secure boot.

BlackBerry Secure Compound

BlackBerry Secure Compound*provides a trusted execution environment to store sensitive data and run security-focused apps, such as*BlackBerry Integrity Detection.

Secure boot

The secure boot process ensures that only a*BlackBerry*signed OS can be loaded on*PRIV*and that it hasn’t been tampered with. Each stage of the secure boot process verifies that the next component hasn’t been tampered with before loading it.

Downgrade prevention prevents a user from loading an old OS version on*PRIVafter the device is upgraded. This protects against situations such as a user loading an OS version that doesn’t have the latest security fixes or a malicious user exploiting a vulnerability that exists in an older OS version.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection

BlackBerry Integrity Detection*continually monitors for events or configuration changes that could indicate that the security of the device is compromised.

BES12*integrates with*BlackBerry Integrity Detection*to take action, such as generating an alert, quarantining the device from accessing work resources, or wiping the device, if a potential compromise is detected.

Kernel hardening

PRIV*runs a*Linux*kernel that has been hardened with patches and configuration changes to decrease the likelihood of a compromise due to a security vulnerability. Also, processes with specific elevated privileges will only run from an integrity-checked file system from a*BlackBerry-signed image.

Encrypted user data

By default, all user data (personal and work) is encrypted using a FIPS 140-2 compliant cryptographic engine. Encryption keys are protected by*BlackBerry Secure Compound.

BES12activation types

PRIV*supports "Android for Work," "Secure Work Space," and "MDM controls" activation types.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Security features for*PRIV*by*BlackBerry

PRIV*by*BlackBerry*is a professional and secure device that brings the security features of*BlackBerry*to the*Android OS. The following table summarizes many of the security features available with*PRIV*managed by*BES12.

Feature

Description

Layered defense

Security is built into every layer of the device, including the hardware, firmware, OS, and secure communications and collaboration apps, resulting in a layered defense approach that brings*Android*to a new level of security. Every area of the device works together to protect the privacy, integrity, and confidentiality of your apps and data.

Hardware Root of Trust

A hardware-based root of trust is established during processor manufacturing by injecting cryptographic material that's later used for device authentication and secure boot.

BlackBerry Secure Compound

BlackBerry Secure Compound*provides a trusted execution environment to store sensitive data and run security-focused apps, such as*BlackBerry Integrity Detection.

Secure boot

The secure boot process ensures that only a*BlackBerry*signed OS can be loaded on*PRIV*and that it hasn’t been tampered with. Each stage of the secure boot process verifies that the next component hasn’t been tampered with before loading it.

Downgrade prevention prevents a user from loading an old OS version on*PRIVafter the device is upgraded. This protects against situations such as a user loading an OS version that doesn’t have the latest security fixes or a malicious user exploiting a vulnerability that exists in an older OS version.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection

BlackBerry Integrity Detection*continually monitors for events or configuration changes that could indicate that the security of the device is compromised.

BES12*integrates with*BlackBerry Integrity Detection*to take action, such as generating an alert, quarantining the device from accessing work resources, or wiping the device, if a potential compromise is detected.

Kernel hardening

PRIV*runs a*Linux*kernel that has been hardened with patches and configuration changes to decrease the likelihood of a compromise due to a security vulnerability. Also, processes with specific elevated privileges will only run from an integrity-checked file system from a*BlackBerry-signed image.

Encrypted user data

By default, all user data (personal and work) is encrypted using a FIPS 140-2 compliant cryptographic engine. Encryption keys are protected by*BlackBerry Secure Compound.

BES12activation types

PRIV*supports "Android for Work," "Secure Work Space," and "MDM controls" activation types.
Ok that's the same list I'm comparing to. What do you think they said that disagrees with my comments about it?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
as I said it has both hardware and software security features.
Right you said that, but I don't feel like you read any of the post I made comparing it to other devices that it's competing against because every device has software and Hardware based security features. So my actual question here is what do you think that Blackberry is doing differently from any other particular OEM out there? Because if the only difference is that Blackberry doesn't allow you to root or unlock the bootloader, then for the 99% of people who don't even know what those two things are let alone do them , there is no practical difference.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Mandated hardware/software malware/spyware on most/all phones coming from china has me bugged out a bit. I know, I know US mandates backdoor also...just....feels dirty. Domestic spying feels less intrusive ...somehow. Believe Pixel, BB, Apple, MS are the best bets to minimize this "feature".

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Right you said that, but I don't feel like you read any of the post I made comparing it to other devices that it's competing against because every device has software and Hardware based security features. So my actual question here is what do you think that Blackberry is doing differently from any other particular OEM out there? Because if the only difference is that Blackberry doesn't allow you to root or unlock the bootloader, then for the 99% of people who don't even know what those two things are let alone do them , there is no practical difference.
governments use blackberry security. corporations are using blackberry security
samsung collaborates with blackberry on security.

so unless you know better than 3 above then you are right blackberry is not doing anything more than all other android phone OEM's.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

so unless you know better than 3 above then you are right blackberry is not doing anything more than all other android phone OEM's.

Governments and corporations are also using Android, iOS and even Windows. That's not an argument for anything, for or against your or my argument, and it doesn't address my question for you at all. My question is, other than the buzzwords in the list you gave me, which seem to articulate the things that come out of the box on Snapdragon Processor and modern Android packages, what specifically are they doing differently? It is fine if you cannot answer that, because no one else, including BlackBerry has offered up an answer to that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Governments and corporations are also using Android, iOS and even Windows. That's not an argument for anything, for or against your or my argument, and it doesn't address my question for you at all. My question is, other than the buzzwords in the list you gave me, which seem to articulate the things that come out of the box on Snapdragon Processor and modern Android packages, what specifically are they doing differently? It is fine if you cannot answer that, because no one else, including BlackBerry has offered up an answer to that.

What Aquila said is correct. I work for the GOV and iPhones are very popular for "work phone" usage. For the Help Desk they even have a prompt just for iPhone support.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I love the Priv too, OP! I wanted one when it first came out, as I had been upgrading at the time, but it was too expensive for me haha. I really miss having a physical keyboard! Even three years of a virtual one have not really improved my typing skills haha.

Agreed, the Pixel does look a lot like an iPhone. It's a gorgeous device but I don't think I'll be getting it.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I love the Priv too, OP! I wanted one when it first came out, as I had been upgrading at the time, but it was too expensive for me haha. I really miss having a physical keyboard! Even three years of a virtual one have not really improved my typing skills haha.

Agreed, the Pixel does look a lot like an iPhone. It's a gorgeous device but I don't think I'll be getting it.
priv is much cheaper now. you can get it directly from blackberry unlocked. good news is that blackberry's android software has matured a lot from the release. also new privs are better manufactured. (back of the phone does not flex). hardware is still good for day to day work. it is a good phone and as you said physical keyboard is awresome. and compare to any flagship phones like pixel or iPhone or samsung you can literally get two or even three privs for one of the three mentioned.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
What Aquila said is correct. I work for the GOV and iPhones are very popular for "work phone" usage. For the Help Desk they even have a prompt just for iPhone support.
for sure until your company does get hacked like Sony. I remember Sony after got hacked issued blackberry phones it had in storage and thuds is company that actually makes own android phones.

also you probably know that many of those other phones you mentioned are secured because of blackberry security software working at backend

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
for sure until your company does get hacked like Sony. I remember Sony after got hacked issued blackberry phones it had in storage and thuds is company that actually makes own android phones.

also you probably know that many of those other phones you mentioned are secured because of blackberry security software working at backend
But you just said the government uses BB.. I said I work for them and there are tons more iPhones.. So if we use your logic that since they used BB a log before so that means it's secure.. Doesn't that mean they must think iOS is just as secure?

Edit - also so you're saying blackberry is the only one who does security and they help all manufacturers (like Apple) secure it? Nothing Apple or any of them do it's all blackberry? Do you have any evidence to support that claim?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador
Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

Any computer and smart device can be hacked, whether Blackberry or not, especially if someone has physical access to it. Anyway, I've seen government employees and officials carrying Android, Apple, Windows 10. And Blackberry devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe