Things I've done with my EVO, I couldn't do with my other phones!

Corrosive

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Although I am still a webOS fan I don't want this to turn into a flame war, but there is not too much that the EVO has thats far superior to a Pre... but here are the big ones that made the difference to me.

1. The Screen. With it being one of the biggest on the market, there is plenty there to work with. Using google navigation is easy to read/follow while driving. This has totally replaced my old Garmin unit.
2. The camera is fantastic. With all of the apps to help get pics out onto the internet, I have practically replaced using my point and shoot. Sure, if I want to get GREAT shots, I pull out the cannon, but for most day to day stuff, the pics are above average.
3. 4g. I am blessed to be in Houston, where the coverage is great for 4g. I get 2 to 3 bars just about anywhere. Tethering works great and I am sure mobile hotspot would too...
4. Like mentioned before, the front facing camera is very useful. With the pre, I used the mirror on the back of the phone to look for pepper and such in my teeth after lunch... now I can use a camera... nerdy, sure... usefull, you betcha.
5. Apps. The android market is always full of great apps that make little tasks simpler.

Thats enough for now.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Corrosive, was a fan of the Pre, was first in line for it on release day, dropped my 13 year stint with AT&T to switch to Sprint and the Pre. A year later I ordered the Evo off the Sprint website and can't imagine going back to the teeny screen on the Pre. We just got 4G here in San Jose, so now my phone has faster wireless access than I do over wi-fi at the office and I use the wi-fi hotspot for my Galaxy Tab and laptop so I don't have to worry about the corporate firewall.

The Seidio 3500mah extended battery lasted all day with Cardio Trainer running while I was on vacation a few weeks ago. Try that iPhone. The screen is insanely durable, the kickstand rules, accessories are everywhere, like ProClip has a charging car kit that's designed specifically for just about every car imaginable, and it even works with the 3500mah battery. I don't even use that battery all the time, went back to stock for daily use when I'm near a plug. The screen is tolerable for watching movies, but Tab is better. Trying that on a Pre and you have to pull a Wall-e and get a magnifier to be able to see it.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I miss how quickly email came with my Blackberry
Blackberry phones are known for their awesome mail servers. However, I find my emails come in just as fast.

Ps. Try sending an email to yourself and see how long that take. If you're having issues getting your mails - change the settings to your preference.(as item arrive)

Hanko

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting to speak freely about what my EVO has done for me compared to my old pre.

Never mind the internal workings, apps and capabilities compared to the pre, I do not miss the cheap plastic on the pre, the cracks, and the weak "feel". I hated that my PC would only read the data connection only half the time. What about the "sensitive" charging aspects; Sticky rubber keys..c'mon. I had 3 pre's in 2 years and I am glad to say I love Oreo's once again!

None of this with the EVO!

Oops, I forgot one last thing I now have with my EVO...Less stress!

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Umm....use it for a week without a battery pull? :D

Seriously though, my Evo is great. I'm a police officer and with it's large screen, I can take photos of licenses, registration and insurance information for crash reports and look at it from the phone rather than have to keep track of all that paperwork. Just did that a few minutes ago before I typed this.
It's camera is more than suitable for taking most work related pictures (street side mug shots, vehicle damage, stolen/recovered property, etc).

I also have access to my city's Exchange Server, so I can look up email addresses for anyone in the city.

How do you manage to not charge your phone for so long? I assume you have a car charger.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing not mentioned so far is the pop up menus...makes for such a close to desktop experience for the web. Got a pull down menu? No need to zoom way in to see the selections and then zoom way out to get page back to normal size...and of course Swype! And the apps on this device are just so much more full featured!

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Coming from two Palm Pre (I know, how original), to a Shift and an EVO in the family.

Things I've done:
- play scrabble vs others over internet
- upload vids/pics to facebook and NOT lockup
- Have a phone that did not require a special case to avoid oreo
- use bar code scanner now with the focus ability
- the whole voice to text/email/search

What I miss:
- Live multitasking (opposed to holding the home button)
- the size
- The easy of patching and overclocking

Last edited:

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Came from a Pre Plus on AT&T and everything about the EVO out classes the Pre Plus, not the least of which is an 8mp camera with auto-focus and zoom. Thousands of apps. Screen size. A premium quality phone compared to any Pre. Oh, and working Flash with no lag on Froyo. Oh, and video chat without needing WiFi.

i_fly_rc

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had not had a new device since my HTC 8925, so the Evo is a big leap from what I had been using. love the fast testing, 3d graphics are great on games like nova. haven't had much 4g as its not yet in my area. battery life is lacking but I will likely get an extended one soon. internet works great with a few small exceptions but great having the high res screen.

beantown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, i'm sort of new to the forum, but i've had my EVO 4G since the summer. I'm sure this has been mentioned multiple times but I really like how the internet is exactly how its on a computer. Having Adobe's Flash makes the web experience that much more enjoyable, as oppose to viewing "moblie" versions for web pages. Before having the EVO I had the Blackberry Tour 9630 for Verizon, the only thing I do miss is bbm, but honestly its not that important considering all of the extras the EVO can do, oh yeah one more thing, I also love all of extra screen too. I just want to say hi again and thanks....

hattrick1965#AC

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I transitioned from the Treo 700wx, to the Hero, and now the EVO.....Im addicted and looking for the local EVO support group right now...lol Everything about this phone just amazes me.....the voice commands, different roms, apps, and the fact that I rarely have to dig my laptop out. I am a truck driver, so the only app I am waiting patiently for is truck gps. But I hear its coming.