Thinkin about rooting my TB tonight......

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TB since launch and didn't wanna root until the official GB release. My gf has the Atrix on att and she just got GB, I'm so jealous......and I want to video chat over G Talk with her. So my main questions are if I root tonight will I, A. Be able to video chat over G Talk? B. be able to UNROOT back to stock when the official GB release comes out C. does this void the warranty with HTC?

THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had my TB since launch and didn't wanna root until the official GB release. My gf has the Atrix on att and she just got GB, I'm so jealous......and I want to video chat over G Talk with her. So my main questions are if I root tonight will I, A. Be able to video chat over G Talk? B. be able to UNROOT back to stock when the official GB release comes out C. does this void the warranty with HTC?

THANK YOU

A: if you flash CM7 and the correct google apps, then yes.
B: Yes anytime
C: Yes it voids your warranty but if you unroot, you get it back.

PapaSmurf6768

Themer
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, dont be so anxious about rooting. Its actually a lot easier than people make it sound. The auto-root method works great, just be sure to flash the ota mr2 when you're done, because it will downgrade you. Good luck!

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the auto root, in the other section of the forum. It seems very easy, but it didnt mention anything about flashing the mr2? where and how would you do that?

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
There are so many ROMS to choose from, where do I get the CM7 that I can use G Talk video? or is there a better ROM?

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Flashing the MR2 radio is really easy. Essentially all you do is rename the file, put it on the root of your SD card, start the phone into the bootloader it will prompt you to install it, phone reboots and you're golden. You'll want to remove the file after you install it. Once you have the MR2 radio on the phone, you'll only be able to use ROMS that are MR2 capable. Personally I'm using BAMF 4.9 and Gingeritis, I've been switching between the two. Leaning towards Gingeritis, gingerbread and sense 3.0, gotta love it.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html

forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html

Read both of these. Cm7 1.4 can be found in the roms section of the forums or on rootzwiki.

It sounds like you might want to do more reading about flashing roms and radios, also use YouTube. For flashing roms use clockwork recovery not rom manager.

Spend a lot of time reading in the rom section here, on xda, and rootzwiki. Aldo use the search button.

Reactions: ssethv

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
wow lots of info to digest, I feel very confident I can root without issue as I have rooted my PSP. Time to start studying :p

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
wow lots of info to digest, I feel very confident I can root without issue as I have rooted my PSP. Time to start studying :p
Here's the thing...

Most people with good reading skills and the time to devote to not only the root process itself, but learning about when/if you will/can/should get OTA updates, and what to do if you want an OTA update, can root. The question is, is your time worth the results? You have to ask yourself, what results am I looking for?

I saw your reasoning in your first post. I don't keep up on some of the social networking stuff 'cuz I don't care (IDC!) :) ... but... won't you have that anyway when GB is released for the TBolt? It's not long now for GB.

Lastly, and I hope the original poster is not offended by this quote/link. But, seriously, before you root, you need to ask yourself if you are willing/prepared to deal with possible loss of phone use for any period of time until you "figure it out" if things go wrong at the most inopportune time. (see link below for example)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/1148881-post1.html

These are the reasons I don't root. I've been in IT for enough years that I'm embarrassed to say it out loud :) I know I could root in an hour, but I don't want to "buy in" to the whole "rooted environment" right now. I'm not rooting because I don't want to get caught even for a day without the use of my phone. And, being in IT for as long as I have, I know full well that can happen when you do such things. Even if you are thoroughly familiar with the process. Kinda like plumbing... when's the last time you you "fixed" your sink, only to find out that it's not a good idea to fix a sink on a Sunday when the hardware stores are closed :D

Consider the whole picture, then go for it, or not.

Just sayin'....

-Frank

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

THANK YOU

Read this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th.../103522-faq-should-i-root-my-thunderbolt.html
It should answer a few of your questions.

For what it's worth, if you DO decide to root (and are happy with the results), I'd highly recommend NOT unrooting when the official GB update comes out. Why? Because once you install the official GB update, you will not longer be able to root the device... AND because you'll most likely be able to install ROMs based off of the GB update anyway, so you'll be able to get all of the update goodness without losing root.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Read this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th.../103522-faq-should-i-root-my-thunderbolt.html
It should answer a few of your questions.

For what it's worth, if you DO decide to root (and are happy with the results), I'd highly recommend NOT unrooting when the official GB update comes out. Why? Because once you install the official GB update, you will not longer be able to root the device... AND because you'll most likely be able to install ROMs based off of the GB update anyway, so you'll be able to get all of the update goodness without losing root.

eeeek maybe I should just wait for the official GB to use Gtalk with video......:'(
The quote above from paintdrinkingpete is very helpful and very good advice. However, I would ask you, do you want to continue to be on the lookout for this type of advice to prevent a mistake?

Your choice, of course.

I am NOT against rooting! I just wanted to give my view on who should and who shouldn't. It's not for everybody.

-Frank

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The quote above from paintdrinkingpete is very helpful and very good advice. However, I would ask you, do you want to continue to be on the lookout for this type of advice to prevent a mistake?

Your choice, of course.

I am NOT against rooting! I just wanted to give my view on who should and who shouldn't. It's not for everybody.

-Frank

Exactly. If you check out my FAQ that I linked to, you'll see that's pretty much the point I stress as well.

Rooting opens up a vast world of customization with your phone, but it does require some diligence on the part of you, the Thunderbolt owner.

Personally, I find it a fun hobby. If I encounter a problem with my device, my usual attitude is "how can I fix this?", as opposed to "why won't Verizon fix this?".

Reactions: FrankXS

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting a phone is like modifying a car. Sure, the car itself was good from the factory but through minor tweaks and improvements you can get it to handle better, go faster, brake harder, look nicer and just be more of what you want in a car. With that comes extra maintenance and due diligence on your part in order to keep your cutomized ride in tip top shape.

Same thing with rooting. The phone stock is nice but rooted you are making modifications to make it smoother, look better, run nicer, etc and with that comes some extra time on your part. And just like moddiing a car, it becomes "yours" and more of an example of what you would have wanted it to be stock.

With that being said, I just did the BMAF RC4.9 with Sense 3.0 and love it. Holy crap it makes the phone 10x better. Smoother, sleeker, and runs so much better. Directions are pretty straight forward but not truly complete but nothing that can't be figured out if you are slightly a geek or like to tinker in the first place. And yes, I also modify my cars.

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Rooting a phone is like modifying a car. Sure, the car itself was good from the factory but through minor tweaks and improvements you can get it to handle better, go faster, brake harder, look nicer and just be more of what you want in a car. With that comes extra maintenance and due diligence on your part in order to keep your cutomized ride in tip top shape.

Same thing with rooting. The phone stock is nice but rooted you are making modifications to make it smoother, look better, run nicer, etc and with that comes some extra time on your part. And just like moddiing a car, it becomes "yours" and more of an example of what you would have wanted it to be stock.

With that being said, I just did the BMAF RC4.9 with Sense 3.0 and love it. Holy crap it makes the phone 10x better. Smoother, sleeker, and runs so much better. Directions are pretty straight forward but not truly complete but nothing that can't be figured out if you are slightly a geek or like to tinker in the first place. And yes, I also modify my cars.
well said...

Steve54

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Funny...I was thinking the same thing tonight, and the night before, and the night before, and every night before since I got my DInc a long time ago, before and after it went out of warranty. And I have yet to do it. Why? I am certainly not stupid or anything of the sort, but certainly scared/apprehensive/pensive/unsure and any other number of terms one could fit in between the slashes. I am in agreement to a certain extent with the car guy. I do believe that I want to be in that place with this potentially wonderful device, but see it as similar to purchasing a computer at a store versus having someone build you a blazing and simple computer with lots of proper architecture and configuration rather than lots of eye candy and bloatware, though I will confess to playing the golf game a bit :-!

HTC, IMLHO, makes a pretty nice device. Unfortunately it is cluttered with garbage, and unfortunately Verizon doesn't seem to care. Why, for example, would Verizon clutter up the phone with something like it's navigator when you get the Google one anyway. Enough tirade...

I DO want to root this phone and have the option of bringing it back, but am truly afraid until someone can put it all together in one idiot (me) proof read that is consistent. I have been reading this stuff for quite a while and truly am still baffled. Where's the "Rooting Your Thunderbolt For Dummies" book!!! Is there a place I can go that says if you have this software/hardware/firmware/kernel number, do this that goes from a-z fairly simply? Just curious, because I do go to three different forums and read up on this stuff...why in the world am I still afraid of it??? And, once you do root, does that mean your relationship with VZW comes to an end and you are once and forever lost in the mazes of Android Central and sites like Little Green Android Monkeys Dot Com to do damage control??? :confused:

No complications, baby...I'm just a musician...:)

This is a great forum, by the way. I switched to this one from Crackberry when I switched from BB to Android.

Blessings...Steve

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I will vouche, rooting on the thunderbolt is so easy even an iPhone user can do it.

Well maybe they cant but its pretty freaking easy.

I havent had a single issue, BUT i am using a different ROM than CM7. I want to wait til CM7 has its final build. Gingeritis is pretty good. I am using Gingerbean and the only problem I noticed was that the front facing camera was having issues so i just had to flash the HTC camera.

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to root my TB in the coming days to help with battery life and to DL barnacle and get some fun ROMs.

I have undergone the rooting process on a DX and even though there are various caveats when it comes to rooting I picked up on the process very quickly and flashing roms and stuff like that is very easy to learn. Just follow the directions and you should be fun. I had my rooted DX for a few months and never looked back it was a fun little adventure, did take up a day of exploring and backing up and downloading. Still fun. Makes your tb feel more like YOUR tb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky