Thinking about it

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So I'm looking to get a 8 inch tablet and the shield caught my eye. Just going to be using it for Internet, email, word doc presentation, and some gaming. My research is showing mixed results. Some people really like it and seem to have no problems while others have all kinds of problems. Should I look at something else or take a chance on the shield?

Posted via the Android Central App

Krysaenaar

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It is safe but i understand where you are coming from

I have had the tablet for a week now.

It was a bit of a hasty purchase as i had the Shield TV. I was planning to send it back if i found any issues relating to the horror stories i was reading about on the Geforce forums.

I updated to 6.0 and then took the 1.1 OTA and then factory reset.

The first day i had the miscellaneous battery drain that others have reported of 20%.

I was thinking fugg this i'm sending it back to Amazon

Some guy on Reddit said he wiped the cache so i booted into recovery and wiped the cache.

The drain has not appeared since (not sure if it was coincidental or not).

I am seeing 4 hours of SOT at nearly full brightness, with WiFi turned off when the screen goes off.

You can tweak each app though to specify the amount of cores used so i'm sure i could eek some more minutes out if i wanted.

Things i like:

Nice rubberised feeling to the case which makes it nice to hold
Nice screen with good viewing angles as you would expect from an IPS screen
Almost stock Android and i have hardly noticed any lag at all
Nice speakers, not the loudest but does the job without having to reach for a Bluetooth speaker all the time
Streaming from my 780Ti through Geforce Experience is for the most part flawless
Geforce Now works great. Their Northern Europe server is based in Ireland which helps but a 50Mb+ connection is required. Not sure i will keep the service as it is €9.99 per month, although they are adding more titles and have 100 games now i think
Plays most Android games really really well
Some say the build quality is bad but i honestly think it is well built
Nvidia have been good with updates and as it is near stock Android, we should get N and maybe more

Things i did not like:
The power button is hard to press although i bought the Nvidia official case which will negate this
Screen on time is not the best but that is down to the K1 chip using more power than its Snapdragon equivalent. Not as optimised really i reckon.
You do not get a power source and the official controller is pretty expensive
Lack of AC wireless, N works fine but only seeing 90Mb from my 240Mb connection

For £150 / €200, even if you are not a gamer it is a fast tablet. For another £70+ you can get the Sony 8" tablet which may be a better choice but if £150 is your budget for a 8", you can't go too wrong with the K1

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey... Thanks for the review. I think I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow....but it probably will be in my hands by the weekend. Lol

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been perfectly happy with mine. Ben using it since December without issue. In my opinion, at $200, you won't find a better value.
Screen is great.
Speakers are great. Performance is great.
Power button is awkward.
Battery life is mediocre.
Mine had the misc. power drain but it went away after the last update.

Segads

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nvidia shield k1 on December, works great so far, I use it every day, every single day, you can expect 4 to 5 hours of screen time, gaming is amazing on it, with the shield controller is in another level, console mode on TV, is powerful, fast and responsive, my advice is order a anker charger with it, and a 129gb sd card and you gonna love this tablet, with my dji phantom 3 works amazingly Google, warms up a little but the dji go app is heavy on resources.

For 200usd you have the latest android version 6.0.1 with Vulkan support and you can install apps on the SD card as well the best of two worlds is like a new nexus 7

Steve Loveday

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That's my question - how much it's warm up? If i will play 4-5 hours it's not overheating?
Thanks.
I have one also and yeah you can notice it getting warm.
The most I've played a game is the Sim city for about a hour at a time and if you were resting it on your legs you can definitely feel the heat but not sure about overheating.
But with the case on I got from eBay it can be quite warm but which tablet wouldn't get warm after heavy use.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't decide between this or the Asus zenpad. What finally swayed me was the updates nvidia promises it will bring. I really wanted that 2k screen though, but this is as close to a nexus device you can get without getting a nexus device.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm a few weeks late here but I think Nvidia is going to pull out of the Android tablet Game, if they haven't already so I wouldn't buy one because this thing won't get updated anymore soon I feel.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Mine has been a laggy, stuttering terrible experience since day 1. That one was replaced through the recall, and that changed nothing. I'd honestly not recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha