Thinking of jumping from iPhone to GN2.

eadgbe

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally, It's a little less then 2 weeks from my jumping ship from a iPhone 4S to the Note 2 (my first Android device) and So far, so good! :) My previous experience with smartphones has all been via iPhones.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
not a dealbreaker for me too at this point, but when I look at much time i've spent fiddling around with settings, etc. it's really quite surprising how much time the note2 has taken to setup. I'm just talking setup here, not even troubleshooting. i guess the bottomline is if you like tinkering, have the time and the inclination, and customization is that important to you, then android is the way to go.

i'm now on my replacement note2 from at&t and the wifi problems still persist. looks like i have to get used to rebooting my phone everytime i walk into the house.

I've had my Note 2 for five weeks now after owning iphones for the last 3 years.
I am so glad I made the switch! It has been a lot of fun learning a new OS.

Rankar7, I also have not had any of the problems you're having. The only issues I've had are with one of my e-mail accounts. It will randomly stop downloading new messages. I'm currently trying different settings to try and resolve this. Definitely not a deal breaker :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

eadgbe

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
rankar7, two things. First, one doesn't really have to do any kind of extensive setup on the Note 2 to have a fully functioning device. Second, I don't have to reboot my Note 2 whenever I walk into the house and connect to my wi-fi. Sounds like you might have a configuration problem with your wireless router etc.... Honestly, it kinda seems you're just taking some pot shots at Android and the phone.

Last edited:

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
First of all, pot shots are counterproductive and I was not taking potshots. There's a reason I'm on here and that's to get answers and share my observations.

Second, I've never had to join a forum for a smartphone before to get answers.

Third, who said anything about an extensive setup? The time involved has been extensive. And besides, Android is touted as the customizable, free-form OS. so what's the point if you just need a fully functioning device and not be able to customize it (or watch what you're installing because that last app you just installed, or the bluetooth you activated, etc. could be causing your phone to crash)

And fourth, my note2 is the only device in my household (other than my note2, there are 4 iPhones, 1 ipad, 1 lenovo, 5 macbook pros, and assorted media devices that have never had continual reset/reboots when coming into wifi range) that resets, reboots, and/or hangs when I walk in the door and watch it switch from 4G cell to wifi.

Those are my observations.

Like I said, i'm on here to get answers and contribute where I can. If you have something to productive to add, then by all means please reply. Otherwise, I will continue to read about other people's similar experiences on here and see if I can reach a resolution. Like I said, the setup time is extensive.

And the time I've taken so far on the note2 (after two hardware resets and now a replaced note2) has easily exceeded the setup I've done on iPhone 1, 3G, and 4 combined. another observation.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
not a dealbreaker for me too at this point, but when I look at much time i've spent fiddling around with settings, etc. it's really quite surprising how much time the note2 has taken to setup. I'm just talking setup here, not even troubleshooting. i guess the bottomline is if you like tinkering, have the time and the inclination, and customization is that important to you, then android is the way to go.

i'm now on my replacement note2 from at&t and the wifi problems still persist. looks like i have to get used to rebooting my phone everytime i walk into the house.

This happens everywhere you go? Or just your home network. This had never happened to me very odd.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

eadgbe

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Rankar7, Just read this in another thread here.
Yes, the security update. I installed it and my wifi issues have disappeared since then. Whether they come back again has yet to be seen.
Have you tried this latest security update that came down yesterday from AT&T?

eadgbe

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
rankar7: I'm wondering if this has anything to do with a DHCP limit in your router settings? There is usually a limit on how many simultaneous wireless devices that can be supported, and it sounds like you have a number of devices that use it. Wondering if the value is set to low for your environment?

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
thanks droidxcon and eadgbe. i'll do a manual check for the update and give it a try and see what happens over the new few days.

Tony Lollis

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
DO IT!!!! I had an Iphone 4 and have not missied it AT ALL! Love the note 2!

- - - Updated - - -

DO IT!!!! I had an Iphone 4 and have not missied it AT ALL! Love the note 2!

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would not compare the 4S to current Android devices but the iPhone 5 as the 4s is a two year old phone which is a lifetime in mobile devices.
Plan on switching everything you might currently use iCloud for to Google services as it's too hard to get everything cross syncing otherwise. Google Now and some other Google apps are pretty cool but you give Google even more of your personal data as you are the product to Google not their customer. Their customers are the ad agencies they sell your data too. Apple does not share user data with anyone or sell it.
I haven't found an Android podcasting app as good as Downcast or Instacast for iOS but there are plenty that are good enough.
Get used to a real cheap plasticky feeling device in the Note 2. I can live with it but its very different form Apple build quality.
Apps will be very inconsistent in quality, look, and UI especially compared to the core OS.
You will want to root your Android phone. Jailbreaking an iPhone will get you many features found on rooted Android phones but Apple is more diligent about closing of jailbreak hacks. There are alot of custom roms but they can be more trouble than they were worth.
Apple has better selection and app quality. Even the same apps often have more functionality and look better on iOS.
You can do what you want with the Note 2 and make it more like a handheld computer than a mobile device. Apple compensates for this somewhat with better app selection and quality but not enough for some people.
The Google Play store is a mess. Malware is an issue. Fragmentation is an issue so its not at all unusual to buy or download apps and find they don't work on your device. The Note 2 is pretty popular so theres a better chance apps are tested and working on it.
Micro-usb functionality is less than an Apple 30 pin or lightning cable. Apples cables do faster charging as well as provide audio, video, and data paths. You can't just plug a Note 2 into a usb port in your car have everything work as it does on the iPhone. If you listen to podcasts you probably do it in your car so you will need usb connected but also an audio cable in your headphone jack unless you can do sound via bluetooth. My particular 2012 Honda does bluetooth for voice but nothing else so I have to have it plugged into the usb port for charging and an audio cable for podcasting or music. iBolt makes a car holder that is supposed to include a cable that does both but the cable is AWOL so far.

Hey everyone, I have been thinking of leaving my iPhone and getting a note 2 or a GS3. I am not currently eligible for an upgrade so I would have to pay full price. I had a HTC evo on sprint 2010-2012, so I am not a total android noon. I am getting bored with iOS and the current path apple seems to be on doesn't thrill me either. Even though all mobile devices work great together ( macbook,iphone ,iPad) I still have been wanting more from my phone. The small screen on my 4S is bothering me and I am loving the nexus 7 I bought last week.
If I purchase one of these 2 phones and decide that I'm not totally ready to make the switch will I be able to return it? I would still have the 30 days to return it for a full refund correct? Also, could someone reccomend a good podcast app? I am using podcast addict on the nexus right now and its OK, but is there better choices out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali