This seems like a VERY slow rollout, any rumors of problems making them slow it down?

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Looks like sprint is the only one rolling ota at the moment.

Not sure how much longer I can take before I feel the need to start rioting;)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, no, it hasn't always been like this, which is why I asked. I have always gotten my update within a week of the first day and, from the general noise, it seems VERY few people have gotten the OTA. This could be a bad sign, which makes me even more reluctant to update manually if the original build release had issues (besides the fact that I hate the flashing process nowadays).

There is one very big difference this time. There are Multiple nexus 6 builds for different carriers (tmobile, Fi, Verizon, etc...) that are all being updated to a unified marshmallow build. So there isn't just one OTA package they have to work on for the Nexus 6.

And really, this is nothing new. I've had many nexus devices and from time of announcement of a new version to when they begin pushing out OTAs for every model of nexus device can take a while. I'm always impatient and too excited to try new versions so I just do factory images day 1.

But every year people think this is the year it's taking longer. A watched pot never boils as they say.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Dude. Just unlock the boot loader and flash it. It took me 30 minutes. Super easy.

Posted via the Android Central App

^^THIS^^ 100 times over!

It's a nexus, it's designed to be tinkered with. Plus its always good to start fresh, with a nice factory image. I would sideload a security update, or a point update. Had to unlock and flash this day 1 the images were available.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just got the OTA for my N5...and I can wait for the OTA for my N6...We still will get it before the new phones are out. Thats a first.

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with waiting for OTA, but if all I have is a Chromebook I am pretty much hosed as far as flashing the OTA myself, right?

Only Windows PC I have access to is for work and the security software freaks out whenever we connect anything via USB (even just trying to charge your phone).

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I have tried flashing my Nexus from Lyz28M and every time it comes back as img file not found. I've used the wugfresh, I've tried the SDK ive tried following the command prompt and still each time it will take the radio and bootloader but than when it comes to loading the image file it errors out... What am I doing wrong

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have tried flashing my Nexus from Lyz28M and every time it comes back as img file not found. I've used the wugfresh, I've tried the SDK ive tried following the command prompt and still each time it will take the radio and bootloader but than when it comes to loading the image file it errors out... What am I doing wrong

Hmm... I run into that alllll the time but I've never really looked into it since I just expand the archive and flash the different images individually. The files aren't in some long, screwy path, are they?

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
No I make and adb folder on my desktop and unzip all the files to there that way I only have a simple desktop folder to work with. I've never flashed a rom or any system os before. I'm kinda new to the nexus family. But I have followed a ton of online forums videos and others and still get the same results. Like I said before I've even just let Wugfresh do the dirty work yet it always stops at that. I'm wondering if it has to do with my build number

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
^^THIS^^ 100 times over!

It's a nexus, it's designed to be tinkered with. Plus its always good to start fresh, with a nice factory image. I would sideload a security update, or a point update. Had to unlock and flash this day 1 the images were available.

I use Nexus devices for just the opposite reason: so I don't ever have to worry about flashing ROM's again. The entire beauty of the Nexus line for me is that I am going to get pure Android, and get it quickly, so I don't need to flash a ROM to get what I want. I can just sit back and let it come to me. I have tinkered enough to satisfy that curiosity and now I have no desire to fiddle anymore. Nexus is perfect for that.

jdsbmw

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Like I've stated previously, the folks at Google are a band of effin idiots. There is no reason whatsoever that this update hasn't been released via OTA to every Nexus 6 on the planet. SCREW UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, SCREW FLASHING. SIMPLY RELEASE THE EFFIN UPDATE YOU MORONS! If Apple functioned on par with Google, they'd be out of business and the iPhone would be a niche product, like the Nexus 6.

marcus0263

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Nexus devices for just the opposite reason: so I don't ever have to worry about flashing ROM's again. The entire beauty of the Nexus line for me is that I am going to get pure Android, and get it quickly, so I don't need to flash a ROM to get what I want. I can just sit back and let it come to me. I have tinkered enough to satisfy that curiosity and now I have no desire to fiddle anymore. Nexus is perfect for that.
Yep, same reason for me also!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Like I've stated previously, the folks at Google are a band of effin idiots. There is no reason whatsoever that this update hasn't been released via OTA to every Nexus 6 on the planet. SCREW UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, SCREW FLASHING. SIMPLY RELEASE THE EFFIN UPDATE YOU MORONS! If Apple functioned on par with Google, they'd be out of business and the iPhone would be a niche product, like the Nexus 6.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA links for Nexus devices (Updated with Project Fi) | Android Central

Your post reeks of entitlement and impatience. You should get an iPhone.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Apple has to update what, 2 form factors, maybe 5. Google has hundreds. That's the great thing about the nexus line, you have that option.

Google does not just release an update, what if it bricks every phone out there? Then people will complain about that. Like it did with that previous ios update.

Android is not dependent on os updates to get new features, Google was smart in decoupling core parts of the os into the play store. So basically every Wed, hell any time of the week really, an update can come and fix something, or add something. Unlike ios where you need that os level update to update a new mail app or whatever.

The update has been out about 2 weeks or so, be patient, or flash it. That's the thing about Nexus, you always have the option.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I hear you on that one. I was just really impatient this time so I flashed it. If it was say, a point update, I would have waited for the ota to hit, or sideloaded via wugfresh. It is nice knowing you'll get updates first.