Thoughts and Experiences with the Nook from a ROM'ers point of view

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
So I picked my Nook Color 2 days ago and have had some time to play around with all the various rom options out there so I wanted to share some of my initial thoughts and experiences with the device.

I'm a pretty experienced ROM'er. I won't call myself an Android developer and most of these cool things the devs do I don't completely understand. That being said I have had a lot of experience working with the Droid X, HTC Eris, Viewsonic gTab and now the Nook Color.

First off let me say that out of all of the devices I have used the dev community that is springing up around the Nook Color is awesome. Stuff is changing daily, well literally nightly if you are using the CM7 Nightly builds. I also think it's awesome that B&N made the Nook almost un-brickable. The fact that it's got SD card boot priority means that in most cases, no matter how badly your screw things up you can just pop in a SD card with a recovery image and be back to stock. Trust me, I had to do it 3 times yesterday.

The design of the Nook is nice, form factor is great. Even the box is comes in is cool, not that that really matters but it does illustrate that B&N was going for quality. My gTab's box almost fell apart when I opened it. The weight and size is perfect for a tablet. Jerry said it before on a podcast episode, 10in tablet for two handed use, 7in tablet for one handed use. I couldn't agree more now having used both but I do wish he shared that tidbit of info before i got my gTAb :D

With the Nook there are 2 unique options when it comes to installing custom Roms, eMMC or internal memory or the SDcard.
I struggled with the pros and cons regarding which is better and finally settled on, it depends...

External: For when you are trying out a new rom and don't want to commit or if you are afraid of messing with the stock install. Usually External is the slower option unless you have a class 6 SD card or higher. I also suggest starting out with the external install until you are comfortable enough to blow away the stock OS.

Internal: Faster in most cases. You can save your SD card space for other things. The internal option just feels better to me but I wouldn't suggest using it until you are very comfortable with the flashing and recovery process. The steps you follow to install a custom rom on an external SD card is similar to the process you'd go through to recovery when/if you mess up something. So it's a good lesson to learn.

Roms I have tried and my thoughts;

Stock - I was VERY surprised with what B&N came up with for a UI overlay. It was fast, something I wasn't used to coming from MotoBlur on the DX. I can't say disliked anything about it other than It wasn't pure Android but that's not a bad thing. Stock just wasn't for me though. I got this thing to hack it up so I could get the most out of it.

Stock w/ Auto-Nooter (3.0 for 1.1) - Ok I was really blown away by this option. I ran it for about 8 hours and if it wasn't for the fact that I kinda knew I'd like CM7 more I would have stayed with this. Auto-nooter basically gives you root and access to all the gapps so you have a Nook + much of the common functionality available on your android phone. So you end up with an eReader first and access to the market and your email etc second. Might be perfect for some folks.

Froyo (Internal & External) - Froyo is awesome but at this point I just can't like the UI anymore. External ran very sluggish for me but I only have a class 4 sd card.

Honeycomb (Internal & External) - This is all the rage right? Ehhh..Cool to use outside of the SDKs emulator but overall it just didn't feel done. Kinda slow. That probably makes sense since it was based on a the preview SDK. When this is fully baked I'll be trying it again.

CM7 Nightly (Gingerbread) - This is the ROM I settled on. It's fast as hell. It's clean. It's updated all the time and CM literally has thousands of developers working on their stuff. For me this is about as close to cutting edge as I want to be. I still need this thing to work well when I need it. That being said, there are some issues with CM7. Check the list before installing.

So those are my thoughts and I hope that'll help folks that are thinking about taking the plunge. Overall this thing is great before you stop and think that it's ONLY $250 bucks. Well worth it if you are willing to spend the time to hack it up.

I'm even thinking about selling my gTab now :D

Last edited:

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Great write up. The NC is an awesome device to hack around with.

I'm actually currently running the Honeycomb preview as my daily. It does feel choppy at times, but over all works well (for me personally). The browser works well, it'll run the few apps I want, etc.

I've seriously considered checking out the CM7 nightly. Is there one that runs from an SD card or do you have to flash each night?

Right now I'm waiting to see if a new Honeycomb version is released in the near future. I figure with the Xoom coming out Thursday the source should be released any day now.

You're absolutely correct about the development community for the NC. They're amazing and are really behind this awesome device.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe everything with CM7 for the NC is flashed to the eMMC.

Yeah honeycomb is close but Google has 30 days to release the full SDK after the first product is released to the public. I would imagine we're looking at least 2-3 weeks out before we see anything stable.

but that's still really close and right now i'm liking the daily updates and the discussions in XDA about bugs and stuff.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I believe everything with CM7 for the NC is flashed to the eMMC.

That's what I thought. I did a little poking around on XDA and that still seems to be the case.

Yeah honeycomb is close but Google has 30 days to release the full SDK after the first product is released to the public. I would imagine we're looking at least 2-3 weeks out before we see anything stable.

That's very true. I figure just having a new image / device they can pull from we'll probably see some improvements prior to source. However I agree nothing very stable will come out until a few weeks after the source is available.

Edit: On a side note holy crap the Cyanogenmod site looks much better. I remember seeing a vote for the new site design a while back. It's good to see one in action.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine 4 days ago. I ve only tried a couple of roms

Nookie froyo was really slow either running from an sd card or internally

The last one and the one im currently using is stock rom 1.0.1 with auto nooter. This is a lot faster than nokie. It would be perfect if flash player could be installed :(

I've also been looking honeycomb as an option but the videos i've seen its doesn't look like runs very smooth. Although im looking forward to installing some final version later on. What i want the most is flash support right now

My suggestion is to try CM7 on your nook. I don't think you will regret it, and you get all of the CM bells and whistles, nightly update, and most importantly for you... you can install flash! :)

asciigeek

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in complete agreement. I picked up the Nook last night and after burning through Autonooter 3, Honeycomb v4, and CM7, I am staying with CM7. This really makes me comfortable with my decision to pass on the Galaxy Tab so that I can experiment with this form factor (7inch, one-handed use rocks).

The one piece that I have yet to find is the ability to load the stock B&N Nook eReader on this platform outside of the Stock ROM. They did a good job with the eReader software but I can not just stay on that ROM with all of the other options. The Nook for Android app is missing newspapers, magazines, etc.

Anyone else figured out how to grab the B&N eReader?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The one piece that I have yet to find is the ability to load the stock B&N Nook eReader on this platform outside of the Stock ROM. They did a good job with the eReader software but I can not just stay on that ROM with all of the other options. The Nook for Android app is missing newspapers, magazines, etc.

Anyone else figured out how to grab the B&N eReader?

if you find a way please post. I didn't know there was a difference but now I want the other one :D

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
How does CM7 deal with the lack of buttons on the nook?
That's why I like Honeycomb so much (more than stock)

Three ways;

stock they put some soft keys up in the top right that cover menu and back. the 'n' key acts as the home key.

There is a script in the nook section of XDA that will re-map your volume up and down keys to menu and back. Thats the solution i prefer.

an app like button savior also work.

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How does CM7 deal with the lack of buttons on the nook?
That's why I like Honeycomb so much (more than stock)

cm7 actually has the menu and back buttons in the status bar. its pretty snazzy. i still use button savior for full screen apps, but i find myself hitting the status bar buttons whenever they are there, and as a result hold my nook with my right hand near the top as a habit lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak