Thunderbolt randomly drops all service

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Also for signal issues don't forget that the battery cover can be defective as its part of the antenna as well. My stock cover had tons of issues holding a connection. My extended cover works perfectly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing it more now...depending on what part of KC I'm in. near home in grandview, it's fine, but out here in Overland Park, KS, it's like a bad light bulb. struggling to stay on, but just can't.

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have found resolution to my issues by swapping my extended battery out for my original battery guys. I have not tried putting the extended battery back in to see if the problem recurs. But I have been without issues and perfectly working GPS everywhere for the past 3 days, traveling across California, after putting the original battery back in.

I do not know what this affects exactly, but I'm confident it isn't coincidence since I was having problems for weeks. I had taken out the extended battery and sim card but it did nothing. Replaced the battery with the original and suddenly everything works fine again.
Please try it and report your findings.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had to turn off my 4g radio and go back to the cdma auto prl radio.. and no more drops or reboots.. I'm on the Forever 1.11 rom beta test 3++ . Rooted, of course...

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have found resolution to my issues by swapping my extended battery out for my original battery guys. I have not tried putting the extended battery back in to see if the problem recurs. But I have been without issues and perfectly working GPS everywhere for the past 3 days, traveling across California, after putting the original battery back in.

I do not know what this affects exactly, but I'm confident it isn't coincidence since I was having problems for weeks. I had taken out the extended battery and sim card but it did nothing. Replaced the battery with the original and suddenly everything works fine again.
Please try it and report your findings.

You may be on to something. I just switched to using the extended battery and door (LTE and GPS antennas are in the door) and so far haven't had any LTE drops. I've primarily been using the standard battery door since getting a couple Rezound 1620mAh batteries back in November (so rarely used the extended anymore). The two contact points for the LTE antenna (upper right corner) on the standard door look tarnished compared to the extended door. I tried to clean them up a bit with a pencil eraser, but the metal there is very thin and seems to come off easily. I’m just going to get a new standard door, something I was already planning on doing as the soft touch material on the outside of it has been looking quite scuffed up for a while now and nothing I try helps it look any better.

Reactions: dizlmonsta

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I ended up calling verizon yesterday because I got irritated about this issue. It seemed to happen at the times I needed to use it most, anyway they said they would warranty the phone and send me out a certified like new. I get the box today and open it and have been sent a cln rezound. I was kinda dissapointed because I love my thunderbolt. Maybe I got lucky.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Michigan and I've been having the same problem for the past 5 days or so. Tbolt keeps cycling between 4G and 3G and even when I have a solid 4G signal, it's a lot slower than usual.

mhussey

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Have an update to the original issue. Called VZW, trying to figure this out. They sent me a new SIM card. I tried to activate the SIM card, but it would not activate. So, I spent about 40 min on the phone and the customer service rep/ tech issues rep just said, well, don't worry we will just send you another one out next day. I should have my new refurb at my door when I get home.

You know, I noticed that my contact pads are somewhat worn looking as well. I would love to try another back just to see if that helps.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
No more data drops here since changing out to the extended battery and its door yesterday morning. As a test, I just tried the standard battery and its door with the cleaned up LTE contact points and so far no drops either. Still have a new standard door on its way ($10 and free 2 day shipping from Verizon’s website). So at this point, not sure if it was the network, the tarnished contact points, or a combination thereof.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that your issue is different than mine and others or maybe you just happened to swap doors at the same time that the network problems weren't showing up.

I just swapped back to the standard battery and tried two different battery doors and I'm still having issues.

That sucks! :( Yah, I can't confirm exactly what fixed it for me. It probably was the network though. It's been working fine all day, no drops and speed tests are actually the best I?ve seen in a while (average 20 down, 16 up).

You may have already tried it, but have you done a power down, battery and SIM card pull for five minutes. Barring network issues, this has usually fixed things for me. Otherwise, you may need to get on the horn to Verizon and check if they?re aware of any network issues in your area and/or to troubleshoot the phone further.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Well so much for that, my problems are back. I keep dropping my connection and even when I have a solid signal, it's slower than it should be.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
No more data drops here since changing out to the extended battery and its door yesterday morning. As a test, I just tried the standard battery and its door with the cleaned up LTE contact points and so far no drops either. Still have a new standard door on its way ($10 and free 2 day shipping from Verizon?s website). So at this point, not sure if it was the network, the tarnished contact points, or a combination thereof.

It's possible that your issue is different than mine and others or maybe you just happened to swap doors at the same time that the network problems weren't showing up.

I just swapped back to the standard battery and tried two different battery doors and I'm still having issues.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Ok, that's weird, I responded to your post, but it ended up above with an earlier time stamp. :confused:

momomino

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried the battery swap ( I was excited because I had my old battery on hand and it was such an easy solution), but alas, this did not work for me. My data connection is still dead. It works on Wifi, but will not connect otherwise.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried the battery swap ( I was excited because I had my old battery on hand and it was such an easy solution), but alas, this did not work for me. My data connection is still dead. It works on Wifi, but will not connect otherwise.

Did you try pulling the SIM card as well (for at least five minutes)? That will allow the phone to reset and force it to re-provision itself on the network. If you still have no data at all, not even 1x, 3G, or LTE, you either have a bad SIM or hardware problem with the phone.

Also, Droidforums.net has some good info to consider regarding the data drop issue:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/218137-why-my-lte-device-dropping-data.html

"Why is my LTE device dropping in data.
1) If the device is not staying connected and constantly dropping data it could be a hardware issue.

Solution: Change out devices. Try doing an exchange and if you still experience constant drops you may need to look at swapping to a different handset all together (ie from Nexus to razr).

2) 4g has been working fine but lately I am getting no connection, mms fails, and sometimes calls will not connect

Solution: Swap out sim cards.

3) My 4g works great but out of no where it drops off for 2 mins.

Solution: It is designed that way. Talked to an engineer and the idea is that if a tower gets congested it switches you to another tower. That momentary swap causes you to momentarily lose data.

But that did not happen before. More and more people are buying lte devices causing more congestion. The idea of switching people from tower to tower is designed so you do not lose data completely or for long periods of time. I am playing with at&t lte and I would rather lose data for 2 mins once or twice a day than 20 mins.

But its happening more than twice a day. Call a tech they may need to reset the provisions in your phone to make sure its locking on to the towers. Also as OEMS learn more about the network they are building better radios and more efficient processors to lessen the time it takes to switch."

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If it's the tower switching thing, then something isn't working right, because when it happens, almost everytime I browse to a new page (e.g. every 30 seconds) it drops for a few seconds. Sometimes coming back on its own, sometimes I have to toggle it back. Trying to do some browsing last night, had to toggle it off and on probably 10-15 times in a matter of 10 minutes.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If it's the tower switching thing, then something isn't working right, because when it happens, almost everytime I browse to a new page (e.g. every 30 seconds) it drops for a few seconds. Sometimes coming back on its own, sometimes I have to toggle it back. Trying to do some browsing last night, had to toggle it off and on probably 10-15 times in a matter of 10 minutes.

I agree. Makes you wonder if due to the increasing LTE traffic, Verizon either started implementing this congested tower switching or it engages itself based on traffic and it's just not performing well.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I ended up calling verizon yesterday because I got irritated about this issue. It seemed to happen at the times I needed to use it most, anyway they said they would warranty the phone and send me out a certified like new. I get the box today and open it and have been sent a cln rezound. I was kinda dissapointed because I love my thunderbolt. Maybe I got lucky.

Trust me. I loved my thunderbolt. I was having issues well over a month and two refurbished. They offered me the Rezound. It is now two days and no issues. I am pleased.

sent from my Rezound