Thunderbolt randomly drops all service

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I called in Wednesday as I've had it with the dropped connection issue. It's become a constant problem. The refurbished phone seems slightly better. I've noticed a few data drops when downloading apps/updates. I'm going to give it a few more days to fully document my problem. Then I'm going to follow Todd_L above and find a way to tier 2 support and get a different device.

you may have to go through 2 or 3 tb first, then it would be easier to get another device.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I went in the store this weekend for data drops, got a new sim card, worked fine for a day, then thr data drops again, so i will call today about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

keyworker

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Had a rep call today and offer me a Rezound. I took her up on it as I'm on my second replacement Thunderbolt. I did ask what other phones she could offer; the Rezound, Droid 4, and the Pantech Breakout. Thought I'd give an update.

Apathosaurus

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a tier 2 rep a couple of days ago about the same dropped service problem. He had me reset my Verizon access point names, which worked just long enough to end the phone call. This is after having received a new sim card in August. The rep noted that it's a known issue with the Thunderbolt, and for many people, resetting access point names works (he also had to do something on his end, so I wouldn't try it on your own). I'm also having a serious GPS issue (off topic, I realize), which he said HTC is "gathering info" on. Yay.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a tier 2 rep a couple of days ago about the same dropped service problem. He had me reset my Verizon access point names, which worked just long enough to end the phone call. This is after having received a new sim card in August. The rep noted that it's a known issue with the Thunderbolt, and for many people, resetting access point names works (he also had to do something on his end, so I wouldn't try it on your own). I'm also having a serious GPS issue (off topic, I realize), which he said HTC is "gathering info" on. Yay.

I called VZ tech support and got the new sim card and apn reset done. Called back and was told a ticket would be started and I would get a call back in 24 hours. Of course the call never came. Called back now and there was no notes of my prior call. Started over. Now I'm supposed to wait until Friday for the ticket to come back. F that. I just want a different device or credit so I can buy my own.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
my thunderbolt drops data too, but only when i use my extended battery. i thought it was my battery door,as it was over a year old. so i bought a new door, and it still drops data. When i use my reg battery, i have absolutely no data drops at all. so i guess i just have to live with using my reg battery. i cant see any reason why it could be the actual battery causing it. is there anyone that can confirm or deny t hat an actual battery can cause data drops?

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
it was definitly worth it to buy a new battery door for $7 to see if it fixed the issue. its not worth it to go spend $40 on a new extended battery and then find out it doesnt fix the problem

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
my thunderbolt drops data too, but only when i use my extended battery. i thought it was my battery door,as it was over a year old. so i bought a new door, and it still drops data. When i use my reg battery, i have absolutely no data drops at all. so i guess i just have to live with using my reg battery. i cant see any reason why it could be the actual battery causing it. is there anyone that can confirm or deny t hat an actual battery can cause data drops?

i replicated the behavior with the standard battery/door.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I don't see how it could be the battery itself as it really has nothing to do with the phone's signal, just provides power. The battery door however does contain the LTE antenna (and GPS one too), so it could very well be the door. It's possible you got a defective replacement door, especially if it's not an actual OEM (HTC) one (read in the past where some third party extended battery doors were defective). Back in June, when the data drops first started, I thought my standard battery door may have been a problem and got a new one from Verizon. But it didn't help, still have the occassional data drop issue regardless of whether I use the standard battery/door or the extended battery/door.

NCRick

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I FINALLY got someone to offer me a different phone than the TB.. So I tell them to send it out. 4 days later my phone arrives, open the box.. boom, thunderbolt, was supposed to be HTC Rezound.. Call them back tell them what happened, "oh we will get you the rezound sent out overnight" - 2 days later my phone arrives, open the box...boom, thunderbolt, was supposed to be Rezound - no you are not experiencing deja vu, this really happened.. Call them back tell them what happened, "oh we will get that solved for you sir, we will send the HTC Rezound out to you overnight" 4 days later my phone arrives, open the box...boom HTC Thun..j/k. Rezound - it has been working like a dream come true, I dont mind paying for my monthly data charge since I have a phone that doesnt drop the service..I was starting to highly question Verizons customer service reps but the last person I talked to said there is a poorly worded prompt that pops up when they change the phone model to send out as a replacement that apparently confused the first 2 reps causing the thunderbolt to get shipped rather than the rezound.. they have spent a good amount of money on shipping i am sure in the last 2 weeks with me having sent me the phones and return labels they are paying for... My advice, just keep calling and complaining, eventually they will give in and get you a phone worth the money.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
For those who have gotten a rezound, did it come with a back? Thr csr said it did not come with one, so i ordered one for shiz and giggles, and will return it if it comes with one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

keyworker

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my Rezound came with a back in the refurb box. Plus my customer service rep ordered me a back thinking it didn't come with one. So I got a Rezound with its back in one box and a battery and Rezound back in another box. Two backs! I guess I'm good if anything happens to the other one.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
well, I'm in the same boat. here's attempting to get something other than another refurbished tbolt. I know several people who've gotten a rezound, and even a couple who got the incredible LTE. but we shall see.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
BOOM goes the dynamite! with one replacement Tbolt in my hand for the past week, I call today, and voila! A brand new Rezound is now enroute to me as we speak. The Tech that I spoke to was very empathetic, stating that even he had gone through two Tbolts before getting a different phone, and his issues were....data connection issues. I only hope that the Rezound is much more sound than the Tbolt in that aspect. anyone who has the nerve to complain about verizon customer service is probably attacking the poor sap on the other end, in which case they are much less likely to help solve your issues. I've been with them for 9 years, and not once have I come away with a bad taste in my mouth. they have always done their best to take care of my wife and I, and this proves my point. I didn't even ask for the upgrade, he OFFERED it to me. I really, really expected to get another Tbolt, but this is like Early Christmas for me. (actually, they are sending two rezounds, as my wife's tbolt does has the same issues). Merry Xmas to me!!

BobbyFromBUF

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same issue. My wife and I both have Thunderbolts. When they were new they worked perfectly. In the last 2 weeks the problem has escalated to the point that my data only connects on wifi. I hate to drum up the conspiracy theories, but I'm nearing the end of my contract, and I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data. Has anyone ever talked about a class action suit? Just curious...

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree! Have had the Tbolt since launch day, never had a problem with data dropouts till I was eligible for an upgrade back in November 2012. A solid year and a half with perfect service then all of a sudden . . . It has progressed to the point where I cannot do anything involving data for more than a few minutes before the dropouts start happening. I still have unlimited data and I can't help but feel like this is no accident. Not upgrading either, buying a used phone and keeping my unlimited till they take it from me. Then its adios mu-cha-cho!

Carmen Fierro

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
i can actually watch my signal flash off and on repeatedly even if i am setting near the Verizon store where they have 4g and the best signal in order to sell us.... i was told a lot has to do with the fact that Verizon would like to get ready of all of us who have the unlimited plans, and are trying to get us to call to change something even if you take the discount phone any thing at all then once you change something on your plan boom no more unlimited, so how many with this issue have the unlimited plan...and is you do find a fix i sure would like to know it is awful not to be able to use a phone i paid so much for $329.00

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000