Thunderbolt to get official ICS by August

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I just hope the ICS update doesn't screw up my Thunderbolt. It's been working like a champ on Gingerbread. If it ain't broke... :-\

Btw, why isn't this thread showing up on the main Thunderbolt forum page? I saw it earlier and was going to comment, but it disappeared (found it again by searching for it). And why does it have an older post above from 7-15-2010. Weird... :confused:

Edit: looks like the thread is back after I posted to it. Strange stuff.

mbisson

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OK, I have been away for a while. What will ICS give me on my phone that I don't have now? I know dumb question, but I have to ask.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, this is ridiculous. They have already annoyed (to use a mild word) their existing unlimited plan customers. Myself included. Verizon, by leaps and bounds, is by far the best mobile network, even though they have occasional 4g outages. If this lame idea comes to fruition, I will seriously re-think my loyalty. I agree that the auto update is what kills data usage, especially when flashing a new ROM. Unfortunately I'm stuck with them until July of next year and may fall victim to their hair brain scheme. If it does happen, I'm going to (cough cough) AT&T or someone that really does have a fixed cost for unlimited data. Maybe if enough people complain they will drop it. Or is that too much to hope for or ask for?

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

quest7

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I just hope the ICS update doesn't screw up my Thunderbolt. It's been working like a champ on Gingerbread. If it ain't broke... :-\

Btw, why isn't this thread showing up on the main Thunderbolt forum page? I saw it earlier and was going to comment, but it disappeared (found it again by searching for it). And why does it have an older post above from 7-15-2010. Weird... :c

Edit: looks like the thread is back after I posted to it. Strange stuff.

Exactly, I hope this doesn't jack up my phone either.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, this is ridiculous. They have already annoyed (to use a mild word) their existing unlimited plan customers. Myself included. Verizon, by leaps and bounds, is by far the best mobile network, even though they have occasional 4g outages. If this lame idea comes to fruition, I will seriously re-think my loyalty. I agree that the auto update is what kills data usage, especially when flashing a new ROM. Unfortunately I'm stuck with them until July of next year and may fall victim to their hair brain scheme. If it does happen, I'm going to (cough cough) AT&T or someone that really does have a fixed cost for unlimited data. Maybe if enough people complain they will drop it. Or is that too much to hope for or ask for?

I think you meant to post this over here: :D

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ndfathered-unlmtd-data-plans-4g-upgrades.html

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, I have been away for a while. What will ICS give me on my phone that I don't have now? I know dumb question, but I have to ask.

I'm uncertain on that myself, but from what I've read here are a few things: improved battery life, better support for multi-core processors (not applicable to the Thunderbolt as it's single core), ability to disable carrier included apps (aka bloatware). Also, HTC is upgrading Sense to 3.6 (we currently have Sense 2.1). Otherwise, that's all I've got. :)

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure what you mean? OTA downloads from Verizon do not count against data usage.

Your Sig says you are rooted, why would you even allow an OTA download?

I agree Verizon's latest press release regarding unlimited data plans sux but how is this related to Verizon updating us to ICS?

I have several apps that I don't think twice about at the moment that update or download new data as scheduled or as needed because I still have an unlimited plan. I average about 12GB/month cell and another 6GB/month via wifi usage to keep all my podcasts, vodcasts and widgets up to date along with streaming from a variety of sources.

All of these apps have the ability to be set to update only when connected to wi-fi. Yes. I'm lazy by letting them all rock and roll as they please currently but I could easily force the majority of them to do their updating/downloading when I'm home on wi-fi overnight and only use my data plan for a few widgets and streaming while on LTE leaving plenty of room for GPS usage and occasional web surfing on the go. All I have to do is adjust my habits. For instance, I use PodTrapper as my podcast/vodcast app and only allow it to keep the last 4 episodes of a show. I could easily bump that up to 12 per show with wi-fi-only download settings since I've rarely exceeded 10GB used on my 32GB SD card (I went over when I ported a couple of movies using Handbrake and copied them onto the card).

Verizon may force me to change my habits a bit but they aren't going to sour the whole experience of a smart phone with some data restrictions. And I'm looking forward to see how the Thunderbolt runs ICS and the newer version of Sense.

YMMV

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
July or August is too long of a wait in my opinion. Shouldn't the SIII be out for Verizon by then?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Cadzilla, yes. I am rooted. I don't get ota updates, but when I use sense Roms, they automatically start putting my apps back after I log in. Right now I'm on an aosp ROM so it makes no difference and doesn't do thar. I can use wireless but I don't always have access to and tend to download new Roms from my phone. This month I have used 6gb of bandwidth. Last month was 4. It varies. Still it's better than a pay as I go and could get expensive if I go over what I pay for. Unless all mobile companies start doing this, i may still change. I haven't decided.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Pretty sure Sprint is the only one still offering true unlimited data. According to this, Wi-Fi Data & Tethering Data Plan - Wireless from AT&T, AT&T only offers up to 5gb for $50. If Verizon keeps offering 4GB to us, they are cheaper than AT&T.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Cadzilla, yes. I am rooted. I don't get ota updates, but when I use sense Roms, they automatically start putting my apps back after I log in. Right now I'm on an aosp ROM so it makes no difference and doesn't do thar. I can use wireless but I don't always have access to and tend to download new Roms from my phone. This month I have used 6gb of bandwidth. Last month was 4. It varies. Still it's better than a pay as I go and could get expensive if I go over what I pay for. Unless all mobile companies start doing this, i may still change. I haven't decided.

you know you can stop the automatic app downloads after you log in right? just go to the play store and go to my apps, and then hit the big stop button in the top right.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
August will be here before you know it. I can't believe it is almost June already and am just about another yr older. My birthday is Sat. Hate the age, but beats the alternative LOL
I am happy with my phone as it is. If the ICS doesn't ruin it I will download it.
And will have to see what happens next yr when am due to upgrade. Might just pay outright on ebay and keep my unlimited. I am thinking about other options but for coverage Verizon is the best. I have multi carrier sold and CS on the other carriers is not good.

Reactions: trter10-imore

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Ahhh OK makes perfect sense. Didn't think about apps reloading after switching ROMs. Yep, that'll burn some data alright!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mervy333