Timely a replacement alarm app

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just read an article about Google buying out the developers of an alarm app called Timely. One of the things I missed from my old phone was the Alarm Fade in option. Timely has this and its adjustable to boot. They also included a stop watch, and some other innovative options. Comes with some great wake tones. It was a paid for app a couple days ago, but Google made it free. Check it out and see what you think.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've used Alarm Clock Xtreme for quite some time. Has all you've stated here, and it's been free...and not owned by Google.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I've used Alarm Clock Xtreme for quite some time. Has all you've stated here, and it's been free...and not owned by Google.

Funny that you own a phone that is about as googlefied as it gets. Great to see other options that people are using though.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
These are nice, but I set my alarm by saying "Set alarm for 8am" to my phone. Can it default to use one of these aftermarket apps?

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the option to make it default. Where do I set that? I can't find it on the developers site either.
The first time you try to set an alarm using "OK Google Now", you should have been prompted with a choice to use the default or Timely.
If you werent, you can try reinstalling it and see if you get the prompt. I looked into all apps via settings and i dont see the default alarm app listed, so im not sure how you would remove the default settings for it.
As far as the website, it took some digging around before i saw the Google Now Integration mentioned. Right now all i can find is it listed at the bottom of the page i linked to under "Wait. There is even More"

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I love the look and the features of Timely, but like so many alarm clock apps, it doesn't dim the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the screen. I like to have the time displayed very dimly all night. Those buttons at the bottom of the screen are so bright that they drive me nuts. So far I've settled on Alarm Clock Plus, which completely dims them (and it substitutes its own home button as part of the app). Why can't there be an option in the settings of all of these apps to either dim or not dim the capacitive buttons? I guess the answer is probably rooting, but I just don't have time for all that.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I love the look and the features of Timely, but like so many alarm clock apps, it doesn't dim the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the screen. I like to have the time displayed very dimly all night. Those buttons at the bottom of the screen are so bright that they drive me nuts. So far I've settled on Alarm Clock Plus, which completely dims them (and it substitutes its own home button as part of the app). Why can't there be an option in the settings of all of these apps to either dim or not dim the capacitive buttons? I guess the answer is probably rooting, but I just don't have time for all that.

But can it be set as a default app? I'm too lazy to set it manually now when I can just dictate to the phone

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, figured out how to set them as default. And, I agree if I could get to Timley to dim the buttons it would be a winner.

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Dock Clock for my bedside clock. Would be nice to have an app for both alarm and dock clock, but so far no one app seems to have all the features. Alarm clock plus looked promising but there is only one dimming setting and the clock display is stationary. Dock Clock moves around the screen to prevent pixel burn in. I thought i read somewhere that OLED screens were more susceptible than other displays.

Last edited:

JimCrik

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, figured out how to set them as default
How did you get it to work? I also can't seem to find the option of making it default, although funnily enough it works as my default timer- but not alarm clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi