Tips and Tricks for the Galaxy Gear

anon(22793)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Great tips here, I have a couple of questions on taking a photo the option for share is greyed out, does anyone know how i can share the photo, secondly being a golfer i was interested in the phiGolf app that was meant to be launched with the Gear, but i cant find it anywhere any ideas?

I'd like to know this as well.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Great tips here, I have a couple of questions on taking a photo the option for share is greyed out, does anyone know how i can share the photo, secondly being a golfer i was interested in the phiGolf app that was meant to be launched with the Gear, but i cant find it anywhere any ideas?

I'm not aware of the phiGolf app, or any mention of it being launched with the Gear. If that's the case I would suggest check with the source of that information for a status update.

However, regarding the share option on pictures. I believe it's greyed out because that's functionality slated for future updates. It's also the reason I believe the Gmail, Google Now, and Google+ icons are listed in the notification settings as an option to check despite the fact they don't actually function? I believe it's safe to say that like the apps I mentioned, the Share option in the settings is a future update item that is currently grayed out until Samsung has it operational?

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
tips for designing your own watch face?

the following is the apk for the watchstyler app.....you download it to your phone and run it from there...one caution is that once you create one you can't edit it or it will mess up the program....causes the program to be unstable or something....i've haven't had a problem....love it....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqm0rmr52se6vdk/com.omnitel.appcessory.gear.watchstyler.manager_0.0.1.apk

my current watch face for halloween...ok i have three i switch between...
Screenshots_2013-10-18-08-39-44.png

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got two screen protectors coming for the GG from Amazon, they were about $6 each. Also, I have some screen protectors I had purchased online for the S4, which I returned. I think I will try to cut a piece off that,until the fitted ones arrive. So far, after two days of usage, no scratches..

That seems rather pricey given how little there is the GG face. But like anything today the smaller it is the more expensive it gets. I will be curious to see how the GG reacts to screen protectors. Samsung apparently says not to use them due to the sensors, but made me think how is it any different then what we do on our smartphones.

skmnz

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not aware of the phiGolf app, or any mention of it being launched with the Gear. If that's the case I would suggest check with the source of that information for a status update.

However, regarding the share option on pictures. I believe it's greyed out because that's functionality slated for future updates. It's also the reason I believe the Gmail, Google Now, and Google+ icons are listed in the notification settings as an option to check despite the fact they don't actually function? I believe it's safe to say that like the apps I mentioned, the Share option in the settings is a future update item that is currently grayed out until Samsung has it operational?

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I just found out that you can change the name of the Gear in the Gear Manager app located on your phone.

Also, one of the best apps I've found in the Samsung app store for the Gear is EasilyDo. EasilyDo will provide you with a lot of helpful information right on your Gear. Like Google Now, it will alert me before leaving the house what the traffic conditions are. It's all powered by Google, but the information is displayed right on the Gear without having to pick up the phone.

Where exactly did you find this app? I searched the Samsung app store and found it, but it doesn't say it will work on the Gear. For that matter, where exactly are you finding apps for the Gear? I thought the only way was through the Gear Manager, which when I do, is quite disappointing as there are very few apps out so far.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The Gear is pretty intuitive, but I thought that it would be a good idea to have one place to find tips and tricks that help us enjoy the Gear even more.

-You can change the settings for the double-tap of the power key by going to the Gear Manager on your phone, select settings, then Double pressing power key.
There are many options to include launching the camera and launching S Voice.

-You can set a pattern lock to keep your Gear secure by going into settings on the Gear and selecting Privacy Lock.

-Double-tap with two fingers on any screen to bring up volume control, brightness control, battery level and Bluetooth status.

-You can set which arm you normally wear your Gear on by going to settings on the Gear, select Sound, then Preferred Arm.

Das has put up many useful tips in other threads. I hope that he and others post helpful hints here.

If I buy the Galaxy Gear, I will be sure to check this thread. :thumbup::)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
the following is the apk for the watchstyler app.....you download it to your phone and run it from there...one caution is that once you create one you can't edit it or it will mess up the program....causes the program to be unstable or something....i've haven't had a problem....love it....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqm0rmr52se6vdk/com.omnitel.appcessory.gear.watchstyler.manager_0.0.1.apk

my current watch face for halloween...ok i have three i switch between...

Thanks, this app is Great!

Attachments

• watch 2.png
    watch 2.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 501

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Where exactly did you find this app? I searched the Samsung app store and found it, but it doesn't say it will work on the Gear. For that matter, where exactly are you finding apps for the Gear? I thought the only way was through the Gear Manager, which when I do, is quite disappointing as there are very few apps out so far.

Go into the Gear Manager and select Samsung Apps. Then select the Lifestyle category. It's there you'll find the EasilyDo app. Select it from the list and install it. You'll also have to install it on the phone. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Go into the Gear Manager and select Samsung Apps. Then select the Lifestyle category. It's there you'll find the EasilyDo app. Select it from the list and install it. You'll also have to install it on the phone. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Installed Easily Do and it's already helping me to keep track of doctor appointments.

Posted via Android Central App

Tech_Addiction

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hold two fingers down on any screen to bring up running apps as previously mentioned but also this works like task manager, swipe away the apps you want to kill to free up the ram.

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Cool thanks, I just installed it and set it up on my phone. Now, when I go to the app on the Gear, it says "connecting" and then gives me the updates that are on the phone. Is this app not going to automatically notify me of updates on the Gear? Do you have to manually connect every time?

Edit: Never mind-- I see that it is automatically notifying me on the Gear. Has anyone found a way to silence the notification on the phone? All I see is a place to choose the sound, but there is no "no sound" option. Thanks!

Last edited:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You lucky so-and-so! Send some of that luck this way. Let me know how the screen protector are when you get then. I had read a few reviews that said they didn't quite cover the whole display area.

I have a second GG, I took the first one back. I had put it on some mode, and didn't know how to get it off.Anyway, same thing happened on the second one, but I know what to do to get it off. Havent put the screen protectors on.. After ready, I feel like I have thrown the $12 I spent on screen protector, a throw away.. Well, I have thrown away a lot worse. Will carry them to work tomorrow and see how they work..

rajnet

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed if anybody did not know. Usb to micro usb working on GG and charging it on laptop also working as an independent charger.

kirstielou_x

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've checked all settings, but when I take a photo on the gear it gives 3 options - delete, transfer and share - but the share option is not illuminated... I'm so new to android haha I have no idea where else to look other than camera settings and general settings on the gear