Tired of "Out of Storage Space" Messages - Help!

jrijr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I own a Samsung S5. I continue my near 18 months of frustration with the thing.

I was recently alerted that I need to update some apps... but found that I do not have enough space to do so. I have transferred all my photos and videos to a Micro SD card, and also moved a few of the larger apps to the card as well. I have deleted apps that I rarely used. I have no music downloaded to the phone.

I need simple terminology here.

How do I find the storage hogs?

I have several pre-loaded Samsung apps that I do not, and will not use. To name a few: AT&T Locker, AT&T Live, AT&T Family Map, Mobile TV, Play Newsstand. Can I remove those to free up space?

This is something I never experienced with an iPhone, and I had much more content on there (and the same amount of memory). Frustration!! :mad:

Thank you!

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, we have seen over the course of the AT&T updates, that they have expanded their system partitions to accommodate more bloatware and these updates have left, "ghost", files on the phone which have not been deleted after the update. A Factory Data Reset is the best way to clear these out, as per #2.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

jrijr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, we have seen over the course of the AT&T updates, that they have expanded their system partitions to accommodate more bloatware and these updates have left, "ghost", files on the phone which have not been deleted after the update. A Factory Data Reset is the best way to clear these out, as per #2.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

I am about to this point - erasing everything and starting over. However, in doing so, when I re-load all the apps... do I risk being back at the exact same place I currently am with storage? Or will I cut out the crap and have more space?

Thank you for confirming my thoughts about "bloatware."

SnowyRa1n

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
No offense, but that tells me nothing. I already know how to check the storage. I'm trying to get rid of the stuff that I do not use on the phone.

I mean I assumed that that would provide you with the information of what is taking up space and then act accordingly.

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tired of "Out of Storage Space" Messages - Help!

I mean I assumed that that would provide you with the information of what is taking up space and then act accordingly.
Yes...I'm on Marshmallow and if you tap on "internal storage", select the type of file: apps, video, etc..tap on 3dots, and sort by size to see the largest file.

Via S5 Tapatalk

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
...OP cannot update existing apps...might not have enough storage to add another app?

For example: mine had "Superback up" and "downloaded" data that was stored in "device".

Well, then uninstall apps that aren't used to find out what is taking up all the space. Not rocket science.

jrijr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, then uninstall apps that aren't used to find out what is taking up all the space. Not rocket science.

Did you even read my original post? I have uninstalled apps, and moved things to an SD card, and I am still having this issue. As one of the commentors noted, AT&T adds "bloatware" to the phone in an update.

I want to get rid of the pre-installed apps on the phone that I never use. I have been unable to do so... they are space hogs, more than the handful of apps I have on my phone.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Did you even read my original post? I have uninstalled apps, and moved things to an SD card, and I am still having this issue. As one of the commentors noted, AT&T adds "bloatware" to the phone in an update.

I want to get rid of the pre-installed apps on the phone that I never use. I have been unable to do so... they are space hogs, more than the handful of apps I have on my phone.

You haven't uninstalled enough apps to put a small storage analyzer app to look at your system. I've been in your situation many many many times. Sometimes, there are more hidden files that you cannot see with just the settings in your phone.

Just trying to help out. It's your phone. Do as you wish.

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
#1.9. De-Bloat your phone from the link ironass posted. I know you are frustrated. We are only trying to help.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Disappointing to see some of the less-than-useful responses you are getting in this thread. Storage space on these phones is a real problem due to AT&T crapware. Unfortunately the way that SD cards are implemented (even though Marshmallow 6.0 developed a fix with Adoptive Storage, Samsung and LG are blocking this improvement to pad their bottom line) means that moving apps to the memory card doesn't save nearly as much space on the internal storage as you might think.

If you have a lot of recorded photos and videos, I might connect your phone directly to your computer and backup (and then delete) a good chunk of these from the phone to free up space. But ultimately, I think your best bet is going to be a Factory Reset. Be aware that there is no comprehensive backup solution for Android. Maybe in Android 7 (Nilla Wafer)?

To get a full backup of your phone and make sure you lose nothing I've written a Samsung Galaxy S5 Factory Reset guide.

jrijr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Disappointing to see some of the less-than-useful responses you are getting in this thread. Storage space on these phones is a real problem due to AT&T crapware. Unfortunately the way that SD cards are implemented (even though Marshmallow 6.0 developed a fix with Adoptive Storage, Samsung and LG are blocking this improvement to pad their bottom line) means that moving apps to the memory card doesn't save nearly as much space on the internal storage as you might think.

If you have a lot of recorded photos and videos, I might connect your phone directly to your computer and backup (and then delete) a good chunk of these from the phone to free up space. But ultimately, I think your best bet is going to be a Factory Reset. Be aware that there is no comprehensive backup solution for Android. Maybe in Android 7 (Nilla Wafer)?

To get a full backup of your phone and make sure you lose nothing I've written a Samsung Galaxy S5 Factory Reset guide.

I guess this is what I will need to do. My disappointment with my S5 grows, and is pushing me back to iPhone-Land.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I guess this is what I will need to do. My disappointment with my S5 grows, and is pushing me back to iPhone-Land.
I switched from iPhone to Android with the S5 and it has certainly been an eye-opening experience. I was ready to throw the phone in the bin but a full Backup and Factory Reset has brought the phone back to decent usable state. It still requires a degree of handholding and micromanagement which is not necessary in the Apple ecosystem. You trade freedom for reliability on the other side of the fence.

Unfortunately there's not one device that does everything I want. The international carrier-free Samsung S5 is missing most of AT&T's LTE bands. The S6 and S7 have them, but neither has a replaceable battery. The Nexus 5X and 6P (phones designed and sold by Google) are on the hot, quick-to-throttle Snapdragon 808. If I can hold out until this November for a new Nexus with a Snapdragon 820 and without all these damned compromises, I think I'll be better off.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If I can hold out until this November for a new Nexus with a Snapdragon 820 and without all these damned compromises, I think I'll be better off.

Be careful what you wish for, Feldon, old boy!

The Snapdragon 820 isn't a patch on the Exynos 8890 chipset, on the S7's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel