Titanium backup and change phone id

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
when I change a ROM and flash Titanium it always says that the phone ID has changed and do I want to restore the old ID. I say yes, the phone reboots, and I wonder if it really makes a difference. Does it matter if the phone ID has changed?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
For some apps it might behoove you to let TiBu restore the old Android ID.. they can get tied to the ID and potentially cause a headache if the ID has changed and you restore them with TiBu. Honestly, in practice, I've never seen it make a difference, but I've heard it can. I usually have it restore the old Android ID as well but if I don't it's never had any ill effects, at least for me.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there something specific I need to backup to have TiBu restore my previous ID? I only backup/restore user apps and never get a notification about restoring ID after clean flashing.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there something specific I need to backup to have TiBu restore my previous ID? I only backup/restore user apps and never get a notification about restoring ID after clean flashing.

That's weird.. Asks me every time I clean flash. Do you install it from the Play Store after booting up or flash it after your ROM? Might only happen if you flash it.. Check my guide for info about creating the TiBu update zip to flash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's weird.. Asks me every time I clean flash. Do you install it from the Play Store after booting up or flash it after your ROM? Might only happen if you flash it.. Check my guide for info about creating the TiBu update zip to flash.

Yup, I follow your guide and flash it. I go to "Manage Android ID" and the ID has in fact changed. And when I try to "restore Android ID from a backup", it states none were found within "Settings Storage".

So it would seem like I would need to backup Settings Storage. But it's weird that you guys don't have this issue..

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I follow your guide and flash it. I go to "Manage Android ID" and the ID has in fact changed. And when I try to "restore Android ID from a backup", it states none were found within "Settings Storage".

So it would seem like I would need to backup Settings Storage. But it's weird that you guys don't have this issue..

Yeah, I've never changed a setting for it or anything... After I boot from a clean flash I open TiBu and the first thing it does is ask if I want to restore the previous ID...

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I've never changed a setting for it or anything... After I boot from a clean flash I open TiBu and the first thing it does is ask if I want to restore the previous ID...

Same for me. I have done nothing special to save the id. I have noticed one app that I had problems with before the restore I'd was available. So I do use it.

pmcd1962

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the paid version as well. And, once again, have never been asked to restore my ID (not entirely sure why, but not terribly concerned).

Mine always asks right after I reboot from flashing. The other day I did a dirty flash and it did not ask me so maybe it changes the ID after a clean install.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So exactly which apps could possibly have issues if your ID changes frequently? I've just heard of Google Music but I believe they almost immediately lifted the de-authorization limit so it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Mr Davo

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I just flashed the Elegancia (Sense 4 ROM), and Titanium Backup warned me that the ID had changed, I didn't act upon the warning and found that several Apps would not install, particularly those that I had paid for. I can only assume that the device ID links back to the Play Store in some way - I am now reflashing and this time when Titanium asks me if I want to fix the ID I will oblige.

Incidentally the error message that I was seeing when attempting to install several apps that I pad for including 3G Watchdog & Player Pro was something along the lines of "Invalid Package"!

Thanks

David

Joan Bandy

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I had this question come up. I just read on another forum to "never do systems data restore, only user data". Perhaps that is why I got this question this time and not the previous time. In any case. my phone restarting and is now stuck. Tried taking out the battery, but no luck. Looks like I get to start this system restore over again. : (